1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Really? :puzzled: Doesn't seem like a mark on the tag affects the item or its value at all.

Did you make over $20,000 and have over 200 transactions last year? Or maybe that's just the paypal rule... although they're probably tightly linked.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

3. suited

suited Senior member

Saw that this morning, and that's great news.

4. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

Just in case this happens to anyone else:

eBay removed every one of my listings (~130) this morning in what has been deemed either an error by an eBay representative or a site glitch. The items are now back on the site, but have disappeared from the history/watch lists and will look like this if someone checks to see if they are re-listed:

[​IMG]

5. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

6. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks, man.

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

How would you handle this?
    I bought a runner rug on eBay, advertised as being 2' 10" x 20'. When I received it, it was in fact 18' long. I needed a 20' rug to fit my hallway, not 18' (I know, 2' doesn't seem like much, but it makes a difference...plus it's not as described). I emailed the seller - they said "Sorry about that!", and nothing else. They are a new seller - 2 feedbacks, both positive. I griped some more and they said "So send it back?", then sent me another message saying to send it back and I would get my money back in so many words. They had previously told me they are moving cross-country and I am leery of sending it back without them first refunding my original purchase price ($425.00), shipping ($39.00) and whatever the return shipping will be via UPS (which they have agreed to pay).
    As a seller, I have had returns and have told people they will get a full refund once I get the item back...but I also say that I have been on eBay over 11 years with almost 1000 positive feedbacks and I am not about to start ripping people off now, whereas this is a new seller who is in process of moving cross-country and will probably be changing their banks etc and I'm not confident I will actually get a refund.
    Does eBay/PayPal have something in place where, if I initiate a return & refund thru eBay, and send it back on good faith, and never get my refund from the seller, that eBay or PayPal will cover it? There's buyer's protection but I've never used it...and not sure how it actually works - if they go after the seller's bank / credit card accounts or what (and if so, how that might play out if the person is relocating and possibly changing banks etc).

Any advice appreciated. Grazie.

Side note: this is the 5th item I have bought on eBay in the last year, and the 4th I have had to return due to some sort of issue. WTF is it with sellers today? I take great pains to be as accurate as possible, but when I buy stuff it's been wrong 80% of the time.

8. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

As long as you are within the 45 day window, you're fine.

As a seller there is no way I would ever refund your money without first receiving the returned product.

1 person likes this.
  9. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Quick Question

Have a shirt listed auction style, has bids, guy messages me and offers $125 right now...IF I decided i wanted to take that, can I somehow?

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You add a BIN price to auction, assuming bid is under 62.50. Or you could make it higher then invoice him for the 125 I believe.

11. TheNeedMachine

Nope - you can't edit and add a buy-it-now since it already has bids. You can only end the auction early (and cancel all bids, and also piss off your bidders), assuming you can convince him to pay you first thru PayPal as "money owed" or some personal payment. Not sure if the new eBay seller rule has gone into effect yet, where they still charge final value fees if you end an auction early that has bids - so you might still have to pay eBay fees.
    If it were me, I'd let the auction run it's course, and tell the guy to bid his offer. I always reply that I cannot end an auction early if it has bids, and let the person know they may well get it for less if they bid.

12. TheNeedMachine

OK thanks - the seller has since sent a flurry of messages about refunding / returning etc, so we'll see how it pans out.
    Ditto - as a seller I don't refund without getting the item back first (but I have sent $ only to cover return postage in the few cases where I made a mistake; remainder refunded on receipt).

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Actually, there is one other option. If he outbids the others, you can end the auction using the "sell item to highest bidder" option. Then adjust the invoice to meet the agreed amount.

14. TheNeedMachine

Ah yes - still irks the other bidders but you get your agreed on price thru eBay. Personally never used this, forgot it was an option.

15. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I think I'll let it run the course...he's the high bidder at $41 with 4 days left, i guess my feeling is that if he's willing to offer $125 to end it, he must think its going to go higher. Didn't know 3XL skeet blankets were in such high demand.

16. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If used, I'd let it go for 125. If new, could go either way, but probably better to let it play out.

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I'd take the $125 and tell him you will send him a paypal invoice for it right now (pay the 3% paypal fee and take the cash). If he wants it, he will pay the invoice, if not, no biggie. You pick up 10% savings if he pays the invoice off ebay which is a help, so thats like it selling on ebay for $137 approx PLUS $125 for a RG is pretty good money either way! Most of them I have sold in the $60-100 range.

18. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I'm having an issue with an ebay purchase. I bought a jacket listed with free shipping. It was held at my post office because of insufficient postage and when I picked it up the seller had tried to use media mail, and only 1lb in weight no less. I had to pay the remainder to get the package.
    So I messaged the seller and explained and he agreed to repay me immediately. A few days later and I've received no refund. I message him again and hear nothing.
    I left it a couple of days again and then opened a case in eBay. A couple of hours later seller writes saying that he initiated a refund from the payment I made to him, but that that payment is being held for 30 days so it cant be made yet and asks that I accept this and close the case.
    BUT, this doesnt sound legit to me. I thought the purpose of eBay witholding payment was in case there was a problem, so why wouldnt he be able to refund me.
    Furthermore, all my reading about held payments suggests it's at most 21 days. So I'm wondering if he is hoping that he can stretch this out beyond the 45 days I have to leave negative feedback. Seems ridiculous given the sum we're talking about, but I'm guessing he didnt expect the jacket to go for the minimum bid.

TL:DR - cant a seller refund from payments being held by eBay?

19. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks for the info, doesn't seem like I have one, don't think I hit 20k and my excel file says I'm about even on sales but gonna check as I was able to deduct a little on tax last year and tax season is coming soon

20. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Sounds like BS on his end. I definitely would not close the case if I were you. Call ebay if you're unsure.