Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Maiser

Maiser Member

Has anyone ever bought from mad men suits on ebay (link below)? How are they as sellers? Also, if you take a look at a lot of their jackets, the waist is very slim. Do you guys think that the jacket is simply slim, or the mannequin is causing the jacket to fit that way?

http://myworld.ebay.com/madmensuits/

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I haven't dealt with him, but to answer your question, the waist is pinned back on the torso to give it a cleaner look for the photo.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

3. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Let the great skeet experiment begin!

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If I wasn't so bald already I would be pulling out more hair! [​IMG]

Has anyone else had trouble printing international labels through the paypal shipping tool (not the ebay tool)? I had to ship a package to Indonesia last night and purchased the label no problem. When I tried to print it, I first had to download and install a JAVA update. The download was apparently corrupted and the label would not print. Since you are given 24 hours to print the label, I figured I would do it at work this morning. Had to install the JAVA update here too....corrupted...again, label would not print ....again. Finally I got JAVA to update, and when I attempted to reprint the label I was informed that I had printed too many copies of the lapel. I had to void the label and start all over again. Tried to print it through google chrome...no dice. Printed again through IE and it finally worked. UGGGHHHH!

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You can't win with some buyers. They just don't read or look at the photos. I had a guy last week ask me if the pants are pleated or flat front in this listing. There are 3 indications of the pants style. Title, description, and photo.
    Hickey Freeman Suit Wool Loro Piana 120s 42R 36/31 Dark Gray Pleated Cuffed EUC

Once you get a few more feedbacks in front of them, no one will even notice them. Just in case someone were to see them in the future, I would do a feedback response, reminding buyers to be sure to check the measurements provided in the listing.

It is strange that the HF was tagged Large at that measured size. That would be big enough for me. I wonder how big a XL would be. Sweet coat though! Surprised it didn't go for a lot more.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

7. suited

suited Senior member

I thought I would post this for those that are interested in tracking their profits in excel, but don't use excel very often. If any excel junkies notice any errors, please let me know. Also, if anyone notices any errors in what I have eBay and PayPal charging for fees, also let me know.

Please reference the photo below when looking at formulas:

Formula for Final Value Fee for Buy it Now when the item sold + shipping was greater than $50:

=IF(AND(E2="BIN",B2+K2>50),50*0.1+(B2+K2-50)*0.08,0)

- Cell E2 is the cell in which I type either the word Auction or the letters BIN
    - Cell B2 is the Sale Price
    - Cell K2 is the Shipping Charged to Buyer

Final Value Fee for Buy It Now when the item sold + shipping charged to buyer was less than $50:

=IF(AND(E2="BIN",(B2+K2)<50),(B2+K2)*0.1,0)

PayPal Fees:

=IF(B2>0,(B2+K2)*0.029+0.3,"")

- Cell B2 is Sale Price
    - Cell K2 is Shipping Charged to Buyer

Final Value Fee for Auction Style Listing:

=IF(E2="Auction",(B2+K2)*0.09,0)

- Again, in cell E2 I would type either the word Auction or the letters BIN
    - Same as above (B2 is sale price and k2 is shipping charged to buyer)

Below is an example of how you could setup a spreadsheet to calculate your profit on any given item. All of the formulas I have listed match this example:

[​IMG]

Formula in Profit cell:

=IF(B2>0,(B2+K2)-M2,"")

Formula in Total Costs cell:

=IF(B2>0,C2+F2+G2+H2+I2+J2+L2,C2)

The rest of the numbers are manually typed in, no formulas.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I wouldn't worry about it. It is positive feedback. In a week it will be buried and nobody will read it again.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Inorite? He's bitching because he got an awesome HF hunting jacket for $20!
    Anyway, thanks guys.

Wow. A lot to digest here. Personally, I just multiply my final value fee plus shipping times 0.099 (plus any listing fees) for the Ebay fee, and 0.049 for the paypal fee. I'm sure that's a bit too high for auctions, since I get the discounts, and possibly too low for fixed price listings. But it's close enough for government work.

10. DanM

DanM Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm the office excel guru (accountant in my day job) and I'll check out the excel tonight. iPhone screen too small to make sense of stuff.

11. DanM

DanM Senior member

After glancing back over that I should clarify - I am NOT the guy that left crappy feedback for GMMcL, I just read the posts and it screamed meme to me.

12. suited

suited Senior member

I suppose I went a little crazy, but I enjoy it.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

When that Java shit acts up, that is so frustrating. Ive had that happen a few times.

14. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Very helpful post! Big fan of the background and may consider it. As an idea (I'm no expert), if the frames lacked cross beams, and you used moslin and lit behind the background, your lighting could be drastically improved. As this would work as a light tent.

15. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Sold a pair of running shoes to a buyer in Italy...so what do I need to do with shipping it? do they really check on this kind of stuff? Seems odd that shoes would be on the "banned" list.