1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I don't even entertain this garbage (and I'm Canadian) from buyers. :smarmy:

When he BINed he entered into the agreement as it was presented. I'm sure someone else could also find someone's uncle who's crossing the birder who'd do it for free, but where does this end? I always reply that in addition to the actual cost of shipping, the cost also reflects time and supplies, and enumerate these as you see fit (time to gather supplies, to package the item, to weight and measure, to drop at the post office, the cost of shipping material including tape and tissue paper for wrapping).

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If its like $150ish or under, priority insured. $150 - $650 - Express insured, $650 -?? FedEx.

1 person likes this.
  3. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

4. mainy

mainy Senior member

WARNING: DO NOT sell to kmichelles2012 on ebay. Add to block list IMMEDIATELY.

This is by far the most psychotic buyer I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. More coming soon.

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The silliness continues. 72 bids....twice the price I expected with 4 days left....most views I have had on a single item.

[​IMG]

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Err... what? :puzzled:

Global tracking #:XXXXXXXX
    Domestic tracking #:XXXXXXXX
    Carrier:Multiple Carriers
    This shipment has been transferred to Canada Post for delivery to the final destination (Ref # XXXXXXX)
    Shipped from US Shipping Center to International Destination
    2013-03-06, 23:12:54, Erlanger

Customs Documentation and Labeling
    2013-03-06, 16:56:44, Erlanger

Processing at US Shipping Center
    2013-03-06, 15:14:09, Erlanger

Ohh... further investigation reveals this dude used the global shipping program. Hope that goes well.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  8. suited

suited Senior member

Got impatient and auctioned some stuff that I normally would have left sit as BIN. Had a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt go for $1.29 and another for $6.25, a Zegna for $5.50 and another for $4.25. Figure I probably lost about $120 by auctioning them versus BIN. Hopefully it at least brought a decent amount of traffic to my listings and will pay off in the long run. Most of the other items I auctioned along with them did okay. A PRL Corneliani blazer went for $99 that was badly stained, and in the auction I said that I took it to the cleaners and they could not get the stain out - so it's likely there to stay. Beats me.

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

"The more important one is , can the collar look any better after a good press or is it going to look wrinkled due to age no matter what?
    I am not really sure what Doeskin is. Any explanation would be helpful.
    I have some Tasmanian garments by Loro Piana which I am very happy with but anything less , just makes me itch.:-("

What do I say to this? I'm pretty sure the jacket will look fine after pressing, but I don't want to guarantee anything.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Tell him to wikipedia Doeskin. I know I had to, but it's basically textured wool. Like saying moleskin.

Anyway, advice needed: Dude with excellent feedback wants me to invoice him so he can be sure to select his military address (saved on Ebay, so I would be sending to the EBAY listed address) as the one for me to send to. Do I recall that people have had trouble with thefts/fraud from military addresses?

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I haven't had any trouble with the APO/FPO/DPO addresses, but tracking is hit and miss (mostly miss). Also be sure to print and attach the corresponding customs sheets along with the normal label. Not sure why it gets both, but it does.

12. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Never had any issues myself....but I believe tracking stops once it is handed off to MPSA.

I believe it is a blanket requirement by the military/government to avoid any confusion. Sender may not know if address is domestic or international.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks, guys. He says he hasn't gone overseas yet, so I've offered him to ship Express to his US address (he's just over the NY border -- hell, I could DRIVE it to him) at no extra charge, as a thank you for his service to our country.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

15. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

16. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I'm officially caught up on my listings.

Time to go shopping.

1 person likes this.
  17. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Had my first non payment a week or so, case has been closed, I went to check his feedback, still at 100% and of course I can't leave any. Am i right that basically nothing happens to the buyers account if they buy something and don't pay?

18. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I'm bad when it comes to remember what letters are what materials. Does anyone have a cheat sheet/site?

NE 100?? Wool?? [​IMG]
    O 100?? (I'm guessing the silk lining?)

[​IMG]

19. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That one is 100% virgin wool exterior (Reine Schurwolle) and the lining is cupro (synthetic). I can't come up with NE and O at the moment. Here's the guide I cite: http://reviews.ebay.com/TEXTILE-FIB...-amp-TRANSLATION-CHART?ugid=10000000004399884

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member