Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. DanM

DanM Senior member

Thanks everybody! Made some money!

2. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Stumbled upon this. Anyone see USPS is raising the prices January 27th?

Here is a list of the new pricing:
    https://www.usps.com/new-prices.htm

Some stuff appears to be taking a pretty decent hike.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah...saw it. Sucks...

Priority is taking a 6.3% increase....in the post office. All the more reason to print your own labels.
    The online Priority price is only increasing 3.7%.
    Plus if you meet the qualifications for Top Rated Seller, you will receive even further discounts on ebay shipping labels .

If you are a brave non-registered international shipper....International first class less than 1 lb could see up to a 60% increase...[​IMG], but will now be available at a discounted online price.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I have a low dollar amount auction going on with a bidder with 0 feedback that just joined eBay 2 days ago...

Should I be concerned? Anything I can do?
    I have my bidding req set to most conservative. Block non payers, negative feedback ect...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Recently set up an eBay account for buying. I will also appear as a 0 feedback member. Should i expect static or descriminaton from sellers? How does it work for a first timer hoping to buy some sart orial goods off of the bay? Should i reference my humble SF cred... :)

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You cant block 0 feedback buyers. It always concerns me when I see it, but haven't had an issue yet and you can't do anything about it anyways.

7. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I've had a few 0-feedback buyers. One was a non-payer but every other one turned out fine, even the one from Argentina.

8. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Well all started at Zero. You could ask them to contact before bidding, or reserve the right to cancel Zero feedback. But I have yet to have a problem with someone with Zero feedback.

9. tben

tben Senior member

Guy ends tie, or the auction ends, I can't remember which. I wanted to bid on the tie and forgot because I was busy at work. The tie was at $15 with no bids. I message guy and let him know that I was interested in the tie but I was busy and completely forgot to bid. Guy sends me a message stating that he would be interested in selling the tie still, even though the auction ended with zero bids. I say, ok, lets proceed. Guy invoices me a $45 payment. I wasn't thinking it would be this much based off the auction ending on $15 with zero bids. It is a nice tie and I don't want to be greedy, but I don't want to pay $45 for something that ended with zero bids. It seems his argument is the tie is a $200 retail tie and he would be giving it away if he were to sell it for any cheaper. I am trying to negotiate but negotiations seem to have stalled. First, is this any of you? Because it sounds like something that someone would say in this thread after thrifting the tie for $2. [​IMG] But seriously, guy has been kind of a dick and I understand it is his item, but would there be any suggestion on negotiating a fair deal? Or should I just let it fizzle and not deal with him. I know there is no feedback involved but I would not want him to contact eBay and said that we completed a deal outside the realm of eBay, because that is a definite no-no and I am a top rated/power seller guy with 100% feedback.

10. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

I would walk away. He billed you before you agreed to a price, which is not cool in my book. It puts him in the stronger position, b/c somehow $45 seems to be the accepted price, which it most certainly is not.

EDIT: Unless it had a BIN of $45, in which case I'm more inclined to understand why he chose $45 as the price. In that case, I'd offer something in between, assuming you're willing to pay more than $15. If you're not, I think it's done. The tie is no longer available for $15, and it likely won't be next time he posts it.

This is the perfect place for something like Gixen.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Do you think he should sell it for less if he thrifted it for a dollar? How about if he could document that he paid full retail of $200, would that make the tie more valuable?

I am always puzzled by the concept that what someone paid for something figures into the "fair" value. The item is the item and the value is the value. He could have paid full retail, thrifted it for a dollar or Grandma could have given it to him.

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Tben, you should set up a separate buying account so you don't jeopardize auctions if you run into vengeful shitty sellers. Also, I'd just stop dealing on the tie and wait for it to be relisted.

13. tben

tben Senior member

Yeah, you are probably right. I am not sure I would like to deal with this seller, however, the tie is something I have been looking for a while. I should have just placed a bid rather than try to wait it out and forget.

My point is, why should the value be high if he couldn't even get $15 for it? And why should I pay him more? There wasn't a price tag on the item? Value is what someone is willing to pay for an item, or that is my understanding, am I incorrect? Since apparently my viewpoint is obtuse, why don't you school me in fair value...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I always place the minimum bid immediately to scare off competition and put my real bid on gixen. Seems to work reasonably well.

15. ruben

ruben Senior member

I don't mind ebay's "sellers must ship in one day" rule, but is there any way to amend it so it only applies when they pay in, say the first 48 hours?

It's just a pain in the ass for my schedule, if I have a bunch of items ending on a sunday, I'll always be sure and have time set aside monday and tuesday to ship. But when you get sme guy paying days or weeks late, it's a pain to have to rush to ship.