Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Its got nothing to do with the category, its the designer. Top tier, mostly French designers - Hermes, LV, Chanel, Burberry - i.e. the most easily knocked off ones - you cant sell many without a proven history of selling such. The reps do not have a full list of the brands (that they can disclose) and they cant really do much for you as its a T&S issue, not a standard ebay rep issue.

2. DanM

DanM Senior member

That makes more sense. I wish they had explained that on the phone - they made no mention of limitations due to luxury brands, just that I was limited for that particular category. It was surprising, given that I've got 9 months of selling with 100% feedback (knock on wood) and all within men's apparel.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Same happened to me when I attempted to sell my first Hermes tie, after 6 years of selling and 100% feedback. It will pass, just be patient.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

eBay's going down the pan.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Last week I had a seller charge me $30 for one day shipping, and then ship it priority (3 day) for $6. I asked him for a refund of the difference and he said I was not being fair. He said didn't ship it one day shipping because of the weather!!!??? He said that I got a good deal on the stuff and shouldn't be complaining. No doubt I got a good deal, but I deserve to get what I paid for, right?

He has now offered me $10 back "ASAP". I wonder when that will be.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

6. suited

suited Senior member

I was afraid of this - and now my gf just gave me a bunch of stuff to list and Burberry is the most predominant brand. I haven't listed any of those brands in the last few weeks, but I'm assuming with only 70 feedback and maybe a dozen items sold that fall into that particular designer category that demands special limits, I'm nowhere near being able to list a bunch at once.

7. tubs

tubs Senior member

I am selling a NWT Arc'Teryx jacket and after a week of listing, it didn't sell at $100. A woman contacted me saying that she would buy it for half what I listed. I say no. I relist with a starting price of $70 and BIN of $100 and she contacts me saying that if I change the BIN price to the starting listing price, she'll buy it. I'm fine with this, and change the BIN price to $70, except that ebay requires your starting auction price to be 10% less than the BIN, so I change the starting auction price from $70 to $60. Then the lady bids on the starting auction price and emails me saying "that's all she can do right now, good luck!". Ridiculous. I read about cancelling bids and ending auctions and think I know what to do. I cancel her bid (the only bid on the jacket) and try to close it so I can relist it at a higher price. I block the lady too. Now I can't end or revise my auction. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You should be able to end it (unless it is in the last 12 hours), but you will have to pay the FVF based on the highest bid.

9. tubs

tubs Senior member

[​IMG]
    This is what I get when I try to end it. I got this by looking at the list of all active selling, then check the checkbox next to the listing I want to end, and hit the "End" button. Is there another way to end a listing? Right now there are no bids. Assuming I'm able to close it, will I still have to pay a fee?

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What's the deal with shipping to puerto rico? It should be just like any other international shipment or no? Have a guy there but his address says United States on the line below puerto rico and ebay even lets you select first class.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Weird, I have seen that before I think, but when I tried again it went through. That is the same place I end my auctions.
    You said you already cancelled her bid, right? It there less than 12 hours remaining in the auction? If you are able to close it with no bids, the only fee you pay is your original listing fee (which is already paid).

Yep, PR is considered part of the CONUS according to USPS. I actually had a package shipped from PA, go through PR on the way to TX.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not if you cancel the bids first, then end it.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Seems like they would have wanted to close that loophole. Bit of an end run, no?

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

See if there is anyway to get ebay or Paypal involved. He did not deliver as promised. And please give him negative feedback.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

They really can't close it. They need to give the buyer the opportunity to back out by lying and saying they bid the wrong amount. That just pisses me off when a buyer bids the minimum amount and then says they bid the wrong amount.
    The best I could do was flag it for selling practices. Still haven't received my $10 refund, not counting on it. Feedback selection is still pending. Call me a nice guy, but I really hate to leave neg feedback for anyone....at least not without giving them a chance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013