Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Well I didn't really want to give a negative rating; I don't think the seller meant it. I'm a tad surprised he/she didn't offer any recourse other than dry cleaning though.

I'm thinking the seller also might be a vintage store, so perhaps an employee that doesn't know much about eBay answered me? Perhaps I should send another message at another time and try for another response?

2. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Ebay would side with the thief.

3. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

If you want to be nice, you can try contacting them again. The truth is that you have an extremely strong case. If you want to keep the item, you can offer to have it dry cleaned and see if the spot comes out. You might even ask the seller to partial refund the amount to get the garment into the same condition it should have arrived in.

It sounds like you are being fair, but they do not have a choice if you want to return it. They neglected to list the item correctly. Not accepting returns does not insulate them when the misrepresent a product they are selling. I cannot list a stafford suit as a Kiton by omitting the label and then writing "sold as is" somewhere in the listing. Note though, that returning the garment may require you to pay return shipping.

Edit: negative feedback is made for this exact reason. If the seller is not willing to make right on their mistake, you should let other potential buyers know. I sure as hell would want to know a seller that overlooked a stain also tried to stick me with the problem.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

In the 4,000 + eBay transactions that I have been a participant, only a very, very few items have been problematic to this degree. None have involved apparel. This is not to say that I have not sold some expensive garments, I have. But for whatever the reasons, I have never really experienced the problems with apparel sales. The real issues that I have experienced were related to non-apparel items. Even then, the vast majority of buyers have been honest. I actually shipped a $2,500 transmission to a guy in Moscow and all was fine. I am not sure if I would do that now. . . there have been some both civil and criminal actions based upon eBay transactions. I am sure that you can Google them up. . .

Thinking "out of the box" sometimes can present a powerful alternative.

+1 Well stated. As someone that has purchased apparel via eBay and thrifts, I always factor in either dry cleaning or laundering into a clothing purchase. As sellers of apparel, I am sure that we have all over looked minor defects due to the lighting or the sheer volume of items that we sell. I sincerely doubt that anyone on this thread would go to the effort to sell anything that has visual defects, or at a minimum of fully disclosing the condition in the description and with photos. I certainly have discarded a significant number of items after the inspection process that I have prior to listing an item for sale.

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Guys: Advice needed asap.

Have a tie listed this week. Has a bid. Went to look for it to pack it and it's nowhwere to be found. Concerned I gave it away as a free gift. 45 mins left to auction; too late to cancel bids. Should I contact the buyer now? Wait till auction end? Thoughts?

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Register a second account and buy a tie :hide:

8. ruben

ruben Senior member

RRGH

I BIN'd a suit a few months back, I didn't work for me (the measurements were right, but it was an odd cut and just fit awkwardly).

The seller specified no returns, so I acted like a grownup and relisted it myself, rather than faking a flaw and being a bitch.

I've since relsited it, and sold it.

The suit is about a size 38, I'm a 38 and it fits me well in the chest, the guy I just resold it to, says it doesn't work for him, and that on the tag he can see that it says "44L" there was no size tag, and the only tag was a name tag that is blacked out. It's obviously not a size 44, I posted the measurements, said to check them, and only said that my sizing estimate was a guess.
    Furthermore, there is no way it's a size 44, and there's no way the tag says that (32" waist pants, 21" chest, etc etc).

The buyer wants a refund (which I'm happy to give) and for me to pay the shipping cost both ways (I'm not)

I'm screwed right?

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

delete ebay account and flee the country

10. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I'm guessing it's finished already.. Post the link and I'll buy it..

11. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

I always do a pre-shipment inspection prior to actually shipping the item. Once in a great while I do find a flaw in the item that I missed in the pre listing inspections. I generally send the buyer a notice of what happened and that I cannot sell him the item. If I did it would be an instant "item not as described case". I refund the buyer his money and request a "cancel the transaction" via eBay. I have never had an issue. If you wish add a couple of $ to the refund for the inconvenience or free shipping on any other item that you have listed. Obviously since you cannot find the item to inspect, there is a pre-shipment inspection "issue".

12. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Probably screwed. Although if you get it back and there is no tag and the measurements are correct, you can appeal to eBay / PayPal. You will probably loose however, but still. . . Don't forget to black list the guy.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

13. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I think being honest and explaining the situation sooner rather than later will be more beneficial.

I have actually had this happen once and the buyer was so extremely nice about the entire transaction. I wasn't sure whether I just lost the item, donated it, gave it away or what. I told the buyer that I couldn't find it but would keep looking. They told me to let them know if it came up but were extremely nice about it.

Communication is key.

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

thanks, guys. Yeah, I emailed him immediately, and he still paid without a response. Odd.

VLSI: Dammit, I wish I thought of that! My wife has an account. Would have been a perfect solution. Technically not shill bidding if my intent isn't to drive prices up but prevent the sale altogether?

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

This is more of a gripe than anything. I usually sell shoes and sportcoats. Last month, listed a Hermes tie and I was too aggressive with the pricing - didn't sell. Tried to relist, and ebay told me I had hit my limit for that particular category. WTF? I can attempt to sell 1 tie every 30 days? Called customer support and they provided me an override, but if the service rep is to be believed, even they can't see selling limits. I know I can't find them anywhere in my account info. [​IMG]