Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. suited

suited Senior member

I think it would depend on the seller and buyer. For example, the seller has a nice setup that they have clearly invested time and money into - male/female forms, lights, good photos, etc. Now look at their history, they're selling items on a regular basis. Why would they risk a continual stream of income by shipping someone a box of rags? It makes no sense, unless the payoff was astronomical (i.e., you created this business for the sole purpose of eventually selling a $50,000 item and then bailing). That would be my argument.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

2. DanM

DanM Senior member

Were you the original owner of the 3rd gen iPad? Did you register it with apple and still have the serial? If so, and you get back her old crappy iPad, I would report yours stolen and forward all of the info to local authorities.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

3. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Absolutely the original owner. We used the serial number in the listing and entered it into ebay's listing template to bring up all of the boilerplate info on the specifications. I think reporting it to authorities might be a recourse. I have her address after all. I was also thinking about civil legal action, but it would be limited to small claims. Maybe Judge Judy will take the case?

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Is it possible for a buyer with feedback to have anything other than 100% positive?

5. 83glt

83glt Senior member

I guess that shows how long I've been on ebay. I remember the days when a seller could leave negative feedback for a buyer. Also, sometimes, in EXTREME cases, and where I feel it's warranted, I will leave positive feedback with negative comments, hoping to put a warning out to other sellers for a little while at least until that particular feedback gets bumped down the page. I've done it a couple times over the last few years, usually where the buyer dicks me around with payment.

6. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Civil remedy is nice in theory, but for such an inexpensive item, a very costly one to enforce. You would likely have to go to her place of residence to follow suit for jurisdiction ($$), pay to have her served process (more $$) and then pay the court filing fees (yet again, more $$). Finally, once you obtain judgment you will have to enforce it in some manner (more time and probably more $$).

I think filing the criminal action can actually get your property back to you faster, assuming the authorities where she lives are worth a darn. The threat alone of the patrol to the house may change things drastically as compared to some process server.

7. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Plus, you'd have to personally appear for any procedures (most jurisdictions don't allow for attorneys to represent small claims litigants) so figure travel costs into the mix (if you could have an attorney rep you, that would obviously be a cost issue). The criminal complaint is a mixed bag and depends on the local authorities, which in my experience not likely to take any action.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

8. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Time to take justice into your own hands.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Mailing a turd?

10. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Messy hands...

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

+1

83glt, hopefully you have find my phone on your old iPad, maybe that would be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

12. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

For this kind of work you're going to have to get your hands dirty...

13. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I recently purchased a coat and found out there was a stain on the sleeve (despite the seller mentioning there were no stains). I told the seller this and uploaded a photo since the original listing said he/she did not accept returns. Usually in this scenario, I get a response about allowing a return or getting a refund/credit.

However, I received the following response:

I'm sorry for this happening I didn't notice the stain but I can't accept returns on vintage items for they are mostly as-is items.

If I would have noticed this I would have taken it to the cleaners and then have to raise the price on the item.
    The stain does look very removable though. Something the dry cleaners could take care of.

Hope you understand.

What should I do? Should I attempt to dry clean it at all?

The seller has a 100% rating with 31 ratings in the past 12 months and has been an eBay member since 2009.

14. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

The item was not as described. EBAY/PayPal favors the buyer, so... You're good!

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

+1