Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

I do overcharge $0.10 - $2 extra per item. The extra is my handling, I ship items the day payment arrives, I work for that extra. I have considered just adding shipping costs to my starting bid. However, I like charging for insured priority. I use only the packing materials provided by USPS, everything's insured, things arrive quickly. should I consider first class and buy packing materials? I am at the point where taking that shipping costs rating away from buyers would be to my advantage. I want my top rated seller status back.

As a buyer (I buy way too much) I wouldn't leave low shipping ratings on a transaction I AGREED to participate in.

A third option would be to add $2 to my starting bids and charge less for shipping.

2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

I also wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for your input. My wife is a good listener but she doesn't do what we do and can't really help me.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Had a very pleasingly interesting experience today. Person negotiated with me on OBO and we agreed on a price. Buyer paid promptly and then immediately left positive feedback. Wait... what? Fairly new buyer and I may have to give him a heads up about not doing that in the future until he actually receives items. Pretty funny though to see his positive feedback mentioning my great service that has yet to commence. Anyone ever see that before?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

PRO TIP(S):

Hey all. With the new year upon us, it is the perfect time to do a little housekeeping to protect your self.

#1. The easiest way to do this is by changing your Paypal and eBay passwords regularly. I typically do mine twice a year. Make sure they are two different passwords, and also that they are different than your yahoo, gmail, etc password.

About two years ago I was the victim of a Paypal account breach. The hacker used an iPhone to transfer $2500 to himself from my account. Paypal recognized it as fraud immediately and locked my account, but not before some frustration causing damage was done. See, I didn't have $2500 in my PayPal account, so a draft was automatically initiated from the bank account associated with my account. Once the draft is started, it can not be reversed by PayPal or the bank and has to run it's course. Unfortunately, I did not have $2500 in my bank account either so a series of overdrafts ensued. My bank was kind enough to front me the $2500 until the lengthy process was complete. It complicated my transactions both selling and shipping until it was cleared up, which took 4 weeks.

#2. Make sure you have a designated ebay bank account linked to your Paypal.

At the time of the hack, I had only one bank account, which I used for everything, including paying the mortgage. If the bank had not fronted me the $2500, I would have missed 2 of my bi-weekly mortgage payments, as well as numerous other bill payments.

By simply changing your passwords regularly, you can help minimize the chances of this happening to you. I know we all hate PayPal and their egregious fees, but I greatly appreciate the fraud service they provided when I needed it.

6. suited

suited Senior member

I sold a Burberry trench coat, buyer messages me and says the coat is very nice but it doesn't fit him, and he doesn't want to spend the money to have it altered. I tell him that I'm very sorry it doesn't fit, but I do not accept returns for sizing, and I inform him that the auction had several reminders to look at the measurements and terms before purchasing. In the same message I offer him a discount on a trench coat that I plan to list tomorrow because it's a bit smaller and probably a better fit.

He never responds, and immediately opens a case. I escalate it to ebay, they rule in my favor after I offer a persuasive argument (the bastard opened the case in an attempt to say that I misrepresented the size, which he never claimed when he originally messaged me). Can he still leave negative feedback?

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes.

What was your persuasive argument?

8. suited

suited Senior member

Any chance I'll be able to get it removed in the event he does this? See below...

[​IMG]

This particular auction had 2 additional reminders in the description to check measurements.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Very, very well stated. I wish that was text format so I can copy paste :)

You cant get the FB removed. "its the buyers standpoint on the transaction"

10. suited

suited Senior member

Thanks, I'm surprised it worked out, and resolved in a matter of hours on New Year's Eve. I'll be shocked if he doesn't neg me. Should I message him and try to send him something I could part w/ for free to smooth things over, or just let it be?

11. SpooPoker

Just let it be... and add him to your block bidder list.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

An eBay listing of mine has a country of origin typo in the text. It should say Made in Spain, not Italy. Can't change it since its been bidded on.

But three of my pictures clearly show "Made in Spain" markings. Should I be worried about possible SNAD? Can I amend this in any way?

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

More actions>Revise Listing>Put correct info in the blank block below the Description block.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thanks