Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Man I totally must have missed the first part of your post. I thought the stain was on the shirt and was overlooked. I would like to retract my previous response. I would try not to do a refund but wouldn't press my luck if he was persistent.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

2. tben

tben Senior member

^^ Thanks again for the help guys! And Happy Holidays!

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Yea, I didn't realize that either. He might still have to refund though if buyer is pushy :(

4. Steve Papas

Steve Papas Well-Known Member

It seems to me that you are retracting your story, and you are not being totally honest.

5. Steve Papas

"What I do get about this"? This a get. Because I am new to this forum, there is a time lag between when I post on item and when it actually gets posted. The problem is in your previous posts posts you stated that basically he was being ungrateful, because he bought this shirt, and other shirts from you in the past cheap. You were implying that he should have overlooked this stain and not complained. If you stated this defect in your listing then politely tell him to reread the listing and that the stain was clearly stated.

A similar situation happened to me in the past. I bought a sport jacket very cheap. Upon receiving it, I noticed that there was a stain on the sleeves. I checked the photos in original listing and noticed that under the zoom you could clearly see these stains. I did not contact the seller. I took the jacket to the dry cleaners, he cleaned the stain, and that was the end of the story. I think I was a very reasonable and good buyer. I did not try and weasel any money out of him. I would hate to think if the stain did not come out, and then contacted the seller, he would have refused any resolution because the jacket "was not in its original state".

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

But I'm pretty sure TBen is saying the stain occurred when the buyer wore the shirt. Not that it was overlooked in selling or intentionally omitted from the details.

There are definitely two or three different scenarios here. If I sell an item with some overlooked damage or stain, I would certainly prefer they did not try to clean it themselves or even take it to be cleaned without notifying me first. A spot might be removable with proper cleaning, but may set in permanently if done incorrectly. Most of the time I give the option to return it without cleaning or offer to help pay for repair or cleaning without a further option to return.

It would be hard to prove if a stain occurred after receipt or was already present upon sale unless of course it was in an obvious spot on the item which was shown clearly in the photos. If it was obviously a post sale stain, I wouldn't offer a refund or help with cleaning. That would be silly.

Also it's not that we sellers believe most buyers are scammers. It's just that eBay will side with the buyer 99% of the time whether the seller is at fault or not. I always try to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes you just have to draw a line somewhere. However drawing such a line will almost certainly end in a negative feedback. I know this, because I have 1. I drew the line and the buyer didn't like it, I didn't like the neg feedback either, but I had to stand for what was right regardless of the outcome.

7. tben

tben Senior member

That isn't what I said at all. I offered him dry cleaning money and a discount, but that doesn't mean I still do not think he is trying to cheat me. If I received something with a stain, I wouldn't try to clean it multiple times prior to contacting the seller. I would contact the seller telling him that he did not describe the item properly and wait for him to contact me with instructions. Merry xmas.

8. tben

tben Senior member

No part of the story is retracted I do not even know why I am entertaining this from you. So I will stop here. If you would like, you can pm me and I will invite you to my house. Then, we can go through my eBay process together.

9. Steve Papas

My apologies. The response was a knee jerk reaction to you calling me an idiot. Afterwards I wanted to go back and edit my post, but it was held in moderation. Ultimately this is your business and how you deal with your customers is your decision. Based on your original posts, thus, the information that I had, I was giving you an insight into a buyer's mind so you can make a proper decision on how to deal with him. But like I said, it is your business and you must do what you think is best. You owe no one an explanation.

10. tben

tben Senior member

That was harsh, so I apologize. But the entirety of the situation frustrated me and your addition didn't help. I don't even know why I am venting to an internet forum. [​IMG] If I came of as crass that was not my intention. Again, I was a jerk, my bad.

[​IMG]

Happy holidays!

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Nevermind... dealing with it. Didn't realize there was a hole :(

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I did the same thing a week or so ago..[​IMG].

Each piece basically gets inspected 3 times. Once before purchase, again while photographing, and finally before shipment.
    Sold a BB Suit BIN for $200+. I even checked the cuffs for "lengthenablility" for the buyer. The buyer was not upset, but returned the suit for refund due to a hole right at the cuff edge. It was pretty big too, how embarrassing. He said he didn't even see it until he took it to the tailor, so in my defense it was somewhat hard to see.

Bummer, I feel for you man...

13. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

alright guys I am not at all caught up with this thread but has it been discussed when is the best time to sell post christmas?
    I have like 3 grand + worth of nice ass items and a new photo set up and I am wondering how to maximize my profit, list asap or wait a couple months? have a true auction like spoo or high starting bids and buy it nows like capwes? these are the questions I wish to have answers to, thanks!

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

All I can tell you is that gift cards are burning holes in peoples pockets right now...