Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. concealed

concealed Senior member

I like how he gave you directions on most measurements, but "half girth" was left unexplained

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

That is a great customer to not sell to.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Calculate cost on the USPS site, fill out the customs form, stand in line a the post office. It is a mild hassle compared to dropping off a stack of domestic parcels with preprinted postage, but if you want to maximize profit and move product then international selling is the icing on the cake. The more of them that you do the easier it becomes.

In my experience the lost/stolen during shipment issue is overblown. I have only had one parcel lost, a sport coat shipped to South Korea.

4. ruben

ruben Senior member

I used to HATE international shipping, but with ebay's new shipping setup it's easy.

It just takes a few extra seconds to print the label, and you have to hand it off in person (though I think you can do a carrier pickup), I just take it to the customer servic dsk at the nearby grocery store since they have a usps drop off.

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

As one of Steve's (and SF's in general) Canadian customers, I've never had a lost package. Items from the US usually don't run into trouble.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes...free pickup for all international parcels (as well as domestic priority, express and returns). Use the free pickup service, it will save you hours upon hours a year. I probably saved myself a week's worth of time across the year.

7. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Okay, quick question to you guys in the US: what's a ballpark/off the top of your head estimate of the cost to ship a tie from the US to Canada with some semblance of tracking?

This is about my infamous "phoney" Hermes tie from a few pages back. It's taken 2 weeks and another email from the buyer to my personal account before he'd actually use the ebay system. I sent him a message that I would refund the cost of the item if he returned it to me in the condition he received it (I also disputed, for the record, that it was not authentic).

The he sends me this message: WIll you pay shipping?

At this point the answer is Yes! I just want the damn tie back. Hence my question.

Thanks in advance guys.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

About 22 bucks via priority. I used it when I shipped your secret Santa gift. It tracked until it said delivered.

Just make sure he doesn't try to stuff it in a small flat rate box to save money.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Or let him ship it untracked :hide:

10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Thanks - that's gonna hurt! I might have to rethink this.

This authenticity thing is like the Sword of Damocles hanging over me. My first thought was to say that buyers paying return postage on mail order returns is the industry standard. I might give ebay a call.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It is the eBay standard as well. Even if it is a SNAD case and eBay sides with the buyer, they are still responsible for the return shipping.

If it is a problem in your buyers eyes, maybe offer to split the shipping cost.

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Why am I picturing you as Billy Mays? (RIP)

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Anyone having issues with tracking during the holiday rush season?

USPS picked up three packages from me on Wednesday of this week. (Two days ago)

One of the packages was processed properly. The other two still have no data in the system and are shown as "electronic info received."

This has me worried because USPS lost a package of mine not to long ago. No info was ever added to the system, and I never heard from that package again.

I insured both of the packages from this week, but don't think I can claim the insurance if they never enter the system in the first place. Correct?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes. I had 21 packages go out on Tuesday. None apparently were scanned.

15. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+1 I have shipped approximately 60 packages the past week. It appears that the process is ahead of the information system. I am receiving feedback while the shipping status does not even show that the package is at the recipient post office. Takes about a day for the information to catch up. BTW, I have had three packages lost / mis-delivered in the past month by USPS.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012