1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

+1

Just had the same situation i.e. he bight the wrong size jacket. I offered a refund, with conditions (only on the cost of the item, less 10% restocking fee, and buyer pays shipping back to me with tracking) and suggested her resell them and I'd even send him the pictures I used as well as the html coding for the listing.

He chose to keep it and gift it to someone he know. And I still got excellent feedback form him.

In other news, a potential local buyer messaged me to ask if I had a store he could drop by to browse. I think he was looking for more RG shirts 0 I have 3 up right now.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You may want to frame your response that you'd like to help him but ebay doesn't allow using their platform to broker transactions outside of normal auctions and you don't want to risk your seller ratings. Play the good guy and let ebay take the rap.

3. scootypuff

scootypuff Well-Known Member

Do you guys know what international shipping options have reliable tracking that doesn't stop in the US? I know there's Priority medium and large flat rate boxes and express mail, but are there any others? Trying to see if there's a cheaper option for shipping a 4 lb box.

4. suited

suited Senior member

Nope, the idea of Tom Cruise winning an academy award for a movie he obviously wasn't in was supposed to add to the ridiculousness :)

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

In before Brianpore tells you 1st class registered :poke:

I suggest Express insured all the way.

1 person likes this.
  6. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+3 Never renegotiate with terrorist buyers! A negative feed back is not permanent, just part of the deal. Be sure to report the buyer.
    + 1 ~ Currently Express is the only method that ensures eBay Seller Protection Plan IMO - You can get a lot of items into the flat envelopes if you really try. . . [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Some years back, my pickup truck (now long since departed) received a parking ticket in the mail from our friends in the Washington DC police department for having been illegally parked on I Street NW. The fine of course, had doubled since I hadn't paid the original ticket that was left on the illegally parked vehicle. The only problem, from my point of view, was that the truck hadn't been driven anywhere NEAR DC for over 5 years. The meter maid had written the license plate number incorrectly and the actual scofflaw must have noticed the error and used it as a

[​IMG]

Try proving it though. I sent a check. :fu:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Weird. This same thing just happened in DC to my dad (from Salisbury) last year. He was allegedly involved in a hit and run in his pickup truck, which was on no shape to even make it over the bay bridge. He was required to appear in court for it.

The victim had written the number down wrong, but oddly the truck was the same make, model and close in color. He didn't get in any trouble, but there was no recouping if his time missed from work or travel expenses.

9. nohio

nohio Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions. Replied nicely that selling it outside of Ebay wasn't allowed but that they could use my pics and listing details to resell it. Buyer seems satisfied (no feedback, yet. Fingers crossed.)

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

But First Class (registered or not) is only for < 4 lbs, right? So it wouldn't work for scooty's box anyway.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Its for 4lbs and under I think... pretty sure that includes 4lbs exactly just not 4lbs 1oz.

13. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Just bought the GarageSale app for eBay. Holy smokes, this changes everything.

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Really a game-changer. I forgot to follow up on it, but I bought the app a few weeks ago and its great. I'm still learning about it and haven't figured a number of things out (do you just duplicate templates and delete them when they're no longer relevant?), but it's definitely cut my work down quite a bit. I need to use a different template though or change the dimensions in the coding, as mine requires the user to scroll left and right...not good.

Overall, it's a great app!

15. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

+100!

I alos agree on the user interface. Not everything is clear or apparent or near at hand. It took me a few auctions to find out how to put limits on who could see my auctions (i.e. those with more than 2 unpaid claims, etc).

The two things I've had trouble with (these might be related):
    1. the scheduling assistant. I had it opened and running so it could automatically start my auctions and some did not work
    2. When I start a group of auctions myself, 20 - 30% don't "take". they are not successfully started. I get an error message about a problem uploading to the ebay photo server. I then highlight these unsuccessful auctions and start them. They'll then usually start but out of a group of 10 -12 it takes 2 - 3 times to get them all up and running.

16. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

For the sellers in this thread, have you joined the new global shipping program? I have yet to open my business to international customers, but this seems pretty enticing from my perspective since it's no effort.

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

idk why shipping international is that big a deal, it really isnt. If you do it right there is less risk then shipping domestic IMO. That said, I looked into the global shipping program and it sucks. The cost to ship items is going to be sooo high that it's never going to be worth it.

18. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Just being lazy really. I ship international for people on here no problem. It's worth it to me because I don't already ship international and it gives 50% off FVF fees. Whether any buyer would ever actually use the program, doesn't matter to me as it can't negatively affect how I currently do things. If I was already offering international, I could see how it would be a detractor.

19. tben

tben Senior member

I hate to bring this up since this is often talked about, but I was wondering if someone could school (aka walk me through the process) me on this garage sale app., I think i am going to take the plunge.

20. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I've only been using it a short time and I have lots of things to learn. If you're interested in trying it before you buy it, you can download a free copy of it at their website that allows you to do it with a few listings.

First of all, I was offered two different versions on the App Store. I chose the more expensive one as it offered things I thought I'd use. I believe, though I may be incorrect, that the cheaper version does not allow you to set times for listings to begin.

The basic premise of the app is to allow you to create templates for your auctions. You give some basic information about your ebay account and allow it to import said information. Then, you create listings within the app and can upload them to ebay. I'm still unsure how to best utilize the app, but I've basically created a template for each of the categories that I regularly list (i.e. shoes, shirts, suits, etc.)

I then duplicate that template and fill it in for the listing. I basically have master copies of everything and then simply alter the description, measurements, pictures, etc. Again, I'm not sure if that's the best way, I'd love to hear from more experiences members if I'm complicating my work.

When you begin, you choose from a number of pre-made templates that offer different layouts of the photos and information. You can make some changes to the template I believe, though I pretty much leave it as is and fill it in with my information.

Once you're finished, you can immediately post the listing or set it as an "event," meaning that they'll upload it for you on the date/time that you request. If you go this route (and with the more expensive version of the app), you'll be able to circumvent ebay's scheduled listing fee.

That's the simple explanation of how it works.

A few notes:

All of the same options that are available in manually listing something on ebay are available. For example: Buy it now, shipping restrictions, etc.

You can upload to any of the ebay sites, not only ebay.com. I upload mine to ebay.at/de and that was obviously crucial for me. The designers are actually German, so it worked out for me. If you choose to upload it to another site (for example ebay.fr), the language and options change. I haven't tried it with ebay.com, but I'm fairly sure you guys have different options available to you than I.

You can view/edit the HTML coding within GarageSale or through ebay (after it's uploaded). It's probably helpful/useful if you know something about coding. If you don't, you don't have to mess with it and you can use a visual layout. The coding is done for you in the background.

If there is a problem with your listing or information is left out, you'll get a detailed error message upon attempting to upload it. For example, if you don't have your handling time selected, it will prompt you. If you're trying to sell something often counterfeited, it will direct you to ebay's warning page.

You can see the number of views and watchers within GarageSale by clicking on your current auctions.

Overall, it is a great tool. It's much easier to have templates saved that has shipping costs and country restrictions in place. I don't know if it's useful for people that only sell something every once in awhile. For those, I'd recommend simply saving templates within ebay and editing them.

The best feature for me is the ability to create listings all week and have them set to start at a certain time. I'm sure another big plus is the ability to embed a number of photos within the listing. Currently, my dimensions are off on my template, forcing the viewer to scroll left to right to see the photos. I haven't bothered to fix it as the same photos are seen in the photo area of ebay's listing.

Anyway, we'll see if anyone else chimes in with information. I apologize is that was a terribly simple explanation!

1 person likes this.