• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I generally don't offer to ship items outside the US unless it is special interest. I have an active listing with someone asking if I will ship to The Ukraine. They have 100 feedbacks, 100% positive, and many of the items they bought are the same name brand as the item he is asking about. I'm pretty sure this one will be OK, but, just asking if anyone here has had issues with Ukraine buyers. This guy does seem on the up-and-up though, based on feedbacks / items bought...and in the end it'll be my decision. TIA.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Hello,

I generally don't offer to ship items outside the US unless it is special interest.  I have an active listing with someone asking if I will ship to The Ukraine.  They have 100 feedbacks, 100% positive, and many of the items they bought are the same name brand as the item he is asking about.  I'm pretty sure this one will be OK, but, just asking if anyone here has had issues with Ukraine buyers.  This guy does seem on the up-and-up though, based on feedbacks / items bought...and in the end it'll be my decision.  TIA.

I'd say that as long as you take the proper precautions (tracking, maybe even signed delivery) you should be fine. You've done your homework and let him know what the shipping charges will be. If you use priority, it will be more expensive, but I wouldn't negotiate shipping options/charges. If he really wants the item, he'll pay the shipping that you quote.

As with US buyers, make sure that you're only shipping to a PayPal address.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that as long as you take the proper precautions (tracking, maybe even signed delivery) you should be fine. You've done your homework and let him know what the shipping charges will be. If you use priority, it will be more expensive, but I wouldn't negotiate shipping options/charges. If he really wants the item, he'll pay the shipping that you quote.
As with US buyers, make sure that you're only shipping to a PayPal address.

Thank you for your input. I decided to change the listing and allow shipping to Europe, and only Ukraine within Europe, so at least this way it's done thru eBay / Paypal and not "on the side". Upped the shipping cost as well, naturally, but not more than actual cost +/-. I'm not too worried about this guy - just wondered if there were any new scams coming out of Ukraine or something I might not be aware of. Thanks!

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Argh - I hate "positive neutral" feedback. Got this one today: "The jacket is a bit stinky but a great vendor to deal with". Came from an indie thrift shop with a dry cleaning tag still on it. No smoking, Indian cooking or pets in my house and I recall it smelling wool-ish and cedar-y to me. Just what I need at the top of my feedback...hopefully will get 4 or 5 more to knock it down a few pegs. But that's the first semi-neutral feedback I have gotten in years.

Stewie

Reaction score
1. Ok..sent off an item, that says was delivered (priority, delivery confirmation) and gentleman states he was out of town when delivered and he hasnt received it. So, what going to be my resolution on this. Do i contact the post office, or is it his responsibility? Am I going to be out the item and money?

2. Havent heard from this customer, but shipping confirmation show delivered to a totally different state? Anyone seen this happen where the item was delivered ok and the tracking is wrong?

goneAWOL

Reaction score
1. Ok..sent off an item, that says was delivered (priority, delivery confirmation) and gentleman states he was out of town when delivered and he hasnt received it. So, what going to be my resolution on this. Do i contact the post office, or is it his responsibility? Am I going to be out the item and money?
2. Havent heard from this customer, but shipping confirmation show delivered to a totally different state? Anyone seen this happen where the item was delivered ok and the tracking is wrong?

Did you ship it to his confirmed addressed, and print the shipping through label through eBay? You should ALWAYS do that so that you have proof you shipped it to the right place. If you did that, then I'd call the post office to see why that would have happened. I think buyers might be able to reroute a package if they have a tracking number (maybe). After that, I would probably just let him file a dispute and let eBay decide what to do. I'm guessing they would rule in your favor as long as you shipped to the right place and tracking shows delivered.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

Need more info on both questions.

1) Contact HIS local post office, give them the tracking number and find out whats going on. If he had his mail on hold then the package might still be sitting at the post office. Once a package is scanned delivered, your done. I just had this same thing happen. Ebay sided with me, kept the money, but the buyer left negative feedback (as I didnt deliver he package he says). I tried to explain that he should blame the post office and that the entire e-commerce system would fall apart if a buyer demands a refund for a "delivered" package, to no avail. 1st neg feedback in over 10 year. But you will keep the money if it was delivered. Also give ebay a call, they are helpful.

2) How did you ship (though ebay, through paypal, or paying at the post office)? Did you bring the package into the post office to get scanned and a receipt? Need more info, but on your receipt it will show the zip code that the package was going to. Any chance you "shipped" to the wrong address by accident?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On #2
I have noticed lately that the tracking info has been all kinds of caddywhompus. If there is ever a concern, I call my local P.O. and they clear it up for me. The apparently have a much greater detail in their tracking than we can see online.

Sent a package recently from PA to CA, it was marked delivered to Puerto Rico, but made it CA on time.
Same week... I sent a package from South PA to North PA, the package actually travelled and was scanned in Texas on its way there.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few points:

1. Fixed Price has lower final value fees [for clothing] than auctions when an item is priced over $100. eBay uses 9% flat for auction, 10% on initial $50 + 8% on remainder for fixed priced. [A caveat: final value fees for auctions are capped at $250, whereas fixed price is 2% over $1000.]

2. Do not offer returns. Of course if you make a mistake, you will have to (and should) take a return, but by offering returns you are appealing to a very different type of buyer. These are the buyers that waste your time, have items ship to try on and then demand both shipping costs refunded, and generally buy impulsively. In extreme cases, buyers sometimes intend to "rent" items from you (my ex had tons of stories of women who would buy dresses, wear them, send them back on corporate shipping accounts, and ask for both shipping costs refunded so they would turn a profit).

3. If you have poor photographs or are fairly new, start with higher priced auctions (using your free listings) or used a fixed price format. You cannot hope to replicate the market presence/following of arger sellers, so do not be tempted by seeing his auctions get bid up (or in converse, auctions bid up by sellers with poor photographs/incomplete listings). eBay is not a perfectly efficient market, whatever Spoo tempts you to believe.

4. Look into packaging supplies. The common approach is quickest and cheapest (i.e. shoved into a tyvek), but this is very shortsighted. The first impression buyers have when they receive an item is crucial and taking care to properly (and nicely) package your items decreases buyer's remorse, promotes return buying, and in my humble opinion is appropriate. Take a second to nicely fold your item at the very least and ship in a box when appropriate. Cellophane bags, bubble wrap, and tissue paper are your friends.

5. On this note, USPS offers free shipping supplies - many of which are not available in local post offices. I suggest calling since online orders are extremely buggy and have then tendency to not show up.

The online store has additional items like legal sized and bubble padded USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes (larger & nicer, but ship at the same price). There are many better sizes of boxes: 1095s (same size as medium flat rate box), 1092s (perfect size for a nicely folded blazer), 1097s - a nice smaller size for shipping shirts, etc. If you want to get into more exotic shipping, like regional rates, you can find those options as well.

6. Use ShipCover insurance (when available) through eBay shipping. It is often cheaper to use and you can insure services/destinations that are not otherwise available through USPS. Claims are also much easier to resolve - with almost instant refunds. I would not wish the USPS insurance department on my worst enemies.

7. Under-sell or at least honestly describe the condition of your item. This might be common sense, but there seems to be a tendency to up-sell the condition (used as "NWOT" or "MINT"). Even if they are in perfect condition, USED items are not NEW. Doing things like this always almost backfires and destroys your credibility.

8. Take advantage of the blocked buyer list (The Official SF eBay Black List - courtesy of BrianPore). There are some real whackos out there, it is better to miss out on a sale than to deal with them. Trust me.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
A few points:

1. Fixed Price has lower final value fees [for clothing] than auctions when an item is priced over $100. eBay uses 9% flat for auction, 10% on initial $50 + 8% on remainder for fixed priced. [A caveat: final value fees for auctions are capped at $250, whereas fixed price is 2% over $1000.]

2. Do not offer returns. Of course if you make a mistake, you will have to (and should) take a return, but by offering returns you are appealing to a very different type of buyer. These are the buyers that waste your time, have items ship to try on and then demand both shipping costs refunded, and generally buy impulsively. In extreme cases, buyers sometimes intend to "rent" items from you (my ex had tons of stories of women who would buy dresses, wear them, send them back on corporate shipping accounts, and ask for both shipping costs refunded so they would turn a profit).

3. If you have poor photographs or are fairly new, start with higher priced auctions (using your free listings) or used a fixed price format. You cannot hope to replicate the market presence/following of arger sellers, so do not be tempted by seeing his auctions get bid up (or in converse, auctions bid up by sellers with poor photographs/incomplete listings). eBay is not a perfectly efficient market, whatever Spoo tempts you to believe.

4. Look into packaging supplies. The common approach is quickest and cheapest (i.e. shoved into a tyvek), but this is very shortsighted. The first impression buyers have when they receive an item is crucial and taking care to properly (and nicely) package your items decreases buyer's remorse, promotes return buying, and in my humble opinion is appropriate. Take a second to nicely fold your item at the very least and ship in a box when appropriate. Cellophane bags, bubble wrap, and tissue paper are your friends.

5. On this note, USPS offers free shipping supplies - many of which are not available in local post offices. I suggest calling since online orders are extremely buggy and have then tendency to not show up.

The online store has additional items like legal sized and bubble padded USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes (larger & nicer, but ship at the same price). There are many better sizes of boxes: 1095s (same size as medium flat rate box), 1092s (perfect size for a nicely folded blazer), 1097s - a nice smaller size for shipping shirts, etc. If you want to get into more exotic shipping, like regional rates, you can find those options as well.

6. Use ShipCover insurance (when available) through eBay shipping. It is often cheaper to use and you can insure services/destinations that are not otherwise available through USPS. Claims are also much easier to resolve - with almost instant refunds. I would not wish the USPS insurance department on my worst enemies.

7. Under-sell or at least honestly describe the condition of your item. This might be common sense, but there seems to be a tendency to up-sell the condition (used as "NWOT" or "MINT"). Even if they are in perfect condition, USED items are not NEW. Doing things like this always almost backfires and destroys your credibility.

8. Take advantage of the blocked buyer list (The Official SF eBay Black List - courtesy of BrianPore). There are some real whackos out there, it is better to miss out on a sale than to deal with them. Trust me.
Just a note, if you do not accept returns you can not be a top rated seller, which gives you better search results and 20% off final value fees. I personally do not accept returns, but just though I should mention that.

Also +1 on #8, everyone posting is this thread should contribute to the Black List

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a note, if you do not accept returns you can not be a top rated seller, which gives you better search results and 20% off final value fees. I personally do not accept returns, but just though I should mention that.

Also +1 on #8, everyone posting is this thread should contribute to the Black List

How can you be a business seller but not accept returns? I don't think that's even possible in the UK

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought returns/1 day handlng just got you the reduced fees, not a requirement for trs status.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics