Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

An example why I except returns without a lot of resistance.....

Original listing...

[​IMG]

Buyer contacted me with this message...

Note: He never even read the description until he got the item. It is listed and described as 46R (tagged Extra Large)

Dear weso0119,

I focused on the 46 L size in bidding on this jacket. I received it today realized that it is neither 46 nor long. After rereading the item description I see the caveats about size. Can I return it or should I just throw it out? I will pay reasonable costs for the return. Thanks

Um....NO, why would you throw it away?????

Buyer payed return shipping, plus 10% restocking/moron fee.

Relisted after return....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

nice! also good going on that schott! (yes i was still watching it...[​IMG])

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks, was hoping it would have pulled in another 100, but no complaints here.

4. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

I was actually a bit surprised it went for what it did. I thought the wear/repair would have brought in lower price, but hey, if someone wants to pay, we'll sell. [​IMG]
    or at least you will, I'm still a bit of a bum, need a mannequin...

5. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I'm done selling trousers.

Zegna flat front cords? $9.99
    Brown J Press flat fronts? $9.99
    St. Andrews flannel? $10.49

Seriously?

Though that BrooksFlannel shirt everyone went nuts over did sell to a guy in Norway for $61.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

My auctions have been volatile lately. Some bring considerably more or considerably less than expected. I had a Brooks Brothers 346 sport coat bring over $150 while a pair of NWT cotton Milanos brought $21, both are shipped prices.

7. concealed

concealed Senior member

When you tag your J.Press pants as size "L" thats a problem. I would have added a waist of 40 to your auction and guaranteed yourself another 10 bucks

Saint Andrews is not as commonly a searched brand, would have probably done it a buy it now auction, or at least a higher starting price, same with crimson red zegna cords.

8. suited

suited Senior member

With BIN I sold a pair of Canali Pleated and Zanella Pleated for $30 + $6 S&H. Had I auctioned them, they'd probably end up somewhere near what you posted. I just listed some other trousers with pretty wishful prices (significantly higher than $30) and I'm convinced that someone will come along and buy them, eventually. It might take 2 months, but it will happen. Granted, you can't price everything like that, but I'd rather wait the 2 months and sell 'em for 5-7x what they'd go for at auction in 7 or 10 days.

One strategy is to build up a large inventory of BIN items, large enough that while each individual item may take a "long" time to sell, you're selling stuff on somewhat of a regular basis because as a new item begins its journey, another's is ending.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Be prepared to request higher selling limits. Ebay assumes you're going to get your BIN price, so those all count against you when measuring your monthly sales limit.

EDIT: You're also turning yourself off, possibly permanently, to a large swath of the buying public. You're basically saying you're spending all this time to list items to target one dude. You may want to complement this with some "loss leaders" like shirts or ties to drive traffic to your profile. Just sayin'.

10. suited

suited Senior member

Had to do this last month, they pushed it to $10,000 / 225 items, which is plenty for me.

Right now I'm using certain neckties as bait, so to speak. I'll list decent ties that I picked up cheap and run them at auctions starting at $0.99. This assumes I have a continuous supply of these, and ties aren't easy to come by around here, so using other items like shirts is a good idea.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I'm assuming I don't have any selling limits in place on my account, but out of curiosity, where would one look to see what they are?

12. suited

suited Senior member

Mine is setup so "My eBay" page opens up on the "all selling" tab, and they're at the top. I really wish the actual webpage included a photo of each item next to the listing like the iphone app does.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah, I guess I don't have any limits anymore.

Try setting your ebay landing page to the Selling Manager Summary Page then when you click the active listings, you will see thumbnails.

To switch to the Selling Manager page go to the Activity tab drop down menu and select Selling Manager

[​IMG]

To make it your landing page select the general settings link and select the Selling Manager Summary from the drop down.

[​IMG]

14. ruben

ruben Senior member

I've learned that it's useless to pickup anything, especially pants with an odd-numbered size.

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I know I asked this before, and I recall all the "why do you use a PC, you troglodite" mockery. I don't recall whether anyone had any actual suggestions, though.

Is there an equivalent of GarageSale, with all its listing expedition and inventory tracking functionality plus its attractive pricepoint, for PC?

I've looked into Turbo_Lister (useless; didn't run), inkFrog and others. All sound intriguing, but cost money. As usual, I want all of that, for free.

Also, did whomever was working on that listing template send around the final? I'm trying to get my act together for the new year.

Thanks in advance.