• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An example why I except returns without a lot of resistance.....

Original listing...

Buyer contacted me with this message...

Note: He never even read the description until he got the item. It is listed and described as 46R (tagged Extra Large)

Dear weso0119,

I focused on the 46 L size in bidding on this jacket. I received it today realized that it is neither 46 nor long. After rereading the item description I see the caveats about size. Can I return it or should I just throw it out? I will pay reasonable costs for the return. Thanks

Um....NO, why would you throw it away?????

Buyer payed return shipping, plus 10% restocking/moron fee.

Relisted after return....

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
An example why I except returns without a lot of resistance.....

Original listing...

Buyer contacted me with this message...

Note: He never even read the description until he got the item. It is listed and described as 46R (tagged Extra Large)

Dear weso0119,

I focused on the 46 L size in bidding on this jacket. I received it today realized that it is neither 46 nor long. After rereading the item description I see the caveats about size. Can I return it or should I just throw it out? I will pay reasonable costs for the return. Thanks

Um....NO, why would you throw it away?????

Buyer payed return shipping, plus 10% restocking/moron fee.

Relisted after return....

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
nice! also good going on that schott! (yes i was still watching it...
peepwall[1].gif
)

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
Thanks, was hoping it would have pulled in another 100, but no complaints here.
I was actually a bit surprised it went for what it did. I thought the wear/repair would have brought in lower price, but hey, if someone wants to pay, we'll sell.
fistbump.gif

or at least you will, I'm still a bit of a bum, need a mannequin...

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm done selling trousers.

Zegna flat front cords? $9.99
Brown J Press flat fronts? $9.99
St. Andrews flannel? $10.49

Seriously?

Though that BrooksFlannel shirt everyone went nuts over did sell to a guy in Norway for $61.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously?

Though that BrooksFlannel shirt everyone went nuts over did sell to a guy in Norway for $61.

My auctions have been volatile lately. Some bring considerably more or considerably less than expected. I had a Brooks Brothers 346 sport coat bring over $150 while a pair of NWT cotton Milanos brought $21, both are shipped prices.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously?

When you tag your J.Press pants as size "L" thats a problem. I would have added a waist of 40 to your auction and guaranteed yourself another 10 bucks

Saint Andrews is not as commonly a searched brand, would have probably done it a buy it now auction, or at least a higher starting price, same with crimson red zegna cords.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously?

With BIN I sold a pair of Canali Pleated and Zanella Pleated for $30 + $6 S&H. Had I auctioned them, they'd probably end up somewhere near what you posted. I just listed some other trousers with pretty wishful prices (significantly higher than $30) and I'm convinced that someone will come along and buy them, eventually. It might take 2 months, but it will happen. Granted, you can't price everything like that, but I'd rather wait the 2 months and sell 'em for 5-7x what they'd go for at auction in 7 or 10 days.

One strategy is to build up a large inventory of BIN items, large enough that while each individual item may take a "long" time to sell, you're selling stuff on somewhat of a regular basis because as a new item begins its journey, another's is ending.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One strategy is to build up a large inventory of BIN items, large enough that while each individual item may take a "long" time to sell, you're selling stuff on somewhat of a regular basis because as a new item begins its journey, another's is ending.

Be prepared to request higher selling limits. Ebay assumes you're going to get your BIN price, so those all count against you when measuring your monthly sales limit.

EDIT: You're also turning yourself off, possibly permanently, to a large swath of the buying public. You're basically saying you're spending all this time to list items to target one dude. You may want to complement this with some "loss leaders" like shirts or ties to drive traffic to your profile. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Be prepared to request higher selling limits.

Had to do this last month, they pushed it to $10,000 / 225 items, which is plenty for me.

You're also turning yourself off, possibly permanently, to a large swath of the buying public. You're basically saying you're spending all this time to list items to target one dude. You may want to complement this with some "loss leaders" like shirts or ties to drive traffic to your profile. Just sayin'.

Right now I'm using certain neckties as bait, so to speak. I'll list decent ties that I picked up cheap and run them at auctions starting at $0.99. This assumes I have a continuous supply of these, and ties aren't easy to come by around here, so using other items like shirts is a good idea.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had to do this last month, they pushed it to $10,000 / 225 items, which is plenty for me.
Right now I'm using certain neckties as bait, so to speak. I'll list decent ties that I picked up cheap and run them at auctions starting at $0.99. This assumes I have a continuous supply of these, and ties aren't easy to come by around here, so using other items like shirts is a good idea.
I'm assuming I don't have any selling limits in place on my account, but out of curiosity, where would one look to see what they are?

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming I don't have any selling limits in place on my account, but out of curiosity, where would one look to see what they are?

Mine is setup so "My eBay" page opens up on the "all selling" tab, and they're at the top. I really wish the actual webpage included a photo of each item next to the listing like the iphone app does.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I don't have any limits anymore.

Try setting your ebay landing page to the Selling Manager Summary Page then when you click the active listings, you will see thumbnails.

To switch to the Selling Manager page go to the Activity tab drop down menu and select Selling Manager

To make it your landing page select the general settings link and select the Selling Manager Summary from the drop down.

Last edited:

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've learned that it's useless to pickup anything, especially pants with an odd-numbered size.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I asked this before, and I recall all the "why do you use a PC, you troglodite" mockery. I don't recall whether anyone had any actual suggestions, though.

Is there an equivalent of GarageSale, with all its listing expedition and inventory tracking functionality plus its attractive pricepoint, for PC?

I've looked into Turbo_Lister (useless; didn't run), inkFrog and others. All sound intriguing, but cost money. As usual, I want all of that, for free.

Also, did whomever was working on that listing template send around the final? I'm trying to get my act together for the new year.

Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads