Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The top one yes, the bottom one is borderline but you should be able to call it that.

Vintage Pre-Death Gianni Versace Couture Gold Barocco Coral Medusa Silk Tie (guess is 60 x 3.75)
    Vintage Gianni Versace Couture Black Twill Greek Key Bar Medusa Pendant Silk Tie (guess 62 x 3.75)

2. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

How can you tell pre-death or not? That can't be more than 3-5 year info. Knowledge of designs or is it (hopefully) more systematic than that?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Just a permutation of pattern, material, and label font. Jacquards, like his top one, were really from 1991-1994. Twills, like the bottom, were from about 1996-1999. The white label crosses over both from about 1995-1999. He died in 1997. There you go.

4. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

fucking cool

5. LukeYourBest

LukeYourBest Member

Hey guys,

Not new to ebay but looking to get better picture quality/consistency. Right now, I am just snapping pictures under fluorescent lights (in the ceiling) of my room.

I take pics mostly of shirts, suits, blazers on a mannequin, pants I just put on a hanger up against a white wall. Also do a few pair of shoes, ties, but those are very small volumes.

What are some setups or kits you would suggest to achieve this? (Budget of say $200-$500)

Will be checking on this, not some fly by night guy, I have 7k+ feedback on ebay but just never got around to getting a better setup to achieve better picture quality.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated and I will probably be replying with more questions as I am a total newb when it comes to lighting/photography.

Thanks

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Quick problem. Posted an ad, someone won the auction, never paid - big waste of my time. So I clicked on "leave feedback" but there was no option to leave negative feedback, only to open a "dispute resolution case" or some such. (Which I've done.)

However, this is rubbish. I'm not annoyed about losing the sale, I'm annoyed about losing time. I want to bypass the dispute resolution process, post the item again, and leave negative feedback on the "buyer" who wasted two weeks' worth of my time. Any way to do this? Thanks.

7. LukeYourBest

LukeYourBest Member

You can't leave a negative feedback if you are the seller (sadly).

Now that you have opened the case, has it already closed? Once it has closed, you can't leave feedback at all (which is good, the buyer will not be able to as well, even though you did nothing wrong) and if it is filed as a unpaid transaction, that hurts the buyer in the long run. I deal with these all the time, just chalk it up as part of the business and move on.

You can't really speed the process up though, other than filing an unpaid more quickly but I usually like to give people a week or so to pay for the auction. Once the transaction is cancelled (because the buyer did not pay in time) then you can relist it, until then, you cannot, because what happens if you relisted it and they paid?

8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

^ Thanks very much, most helpful.

9. maro2280

maro2280 Well-Known Member

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

11. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I have an aggressively slim suit listed (size 46, jacket waist measures almost 4'' less than pit to pit, pants measure 37). As expected, I have somebody asking me how much can the pants and the jacket be let out.

a) The pants have a curtained waistband, so I can't really say how much fabric is under it. Just from the slope of the line, I would expect the very top of the waist to have more fabric available than at the bottom of the waistband.

[​IMG]

b) I don't know how to even tell if the jacket can be let out, let alone how much can it be let out. Any ideas?

Thanks!

12. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

The seller did not accept my offer and is saying I can return it at my own cost or take a $5 refund. I am just fighting this on principal now. When I sell I am very careful with how I list, for example I sold a NWT garment as used because it was a little bit dirty from being in storage.

He keeps saying, "it's new, I just washed it and put it away. I never used it. The item description doesn't say it includes the original box and accessories and there were lots of pictures!"

I keep saying, "The listing says: 'New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging'".

I wonder who eBay will side with...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

That's deceptive selling in my opinion - the seller knows the difference between new and used when listing on ebay. At this point it seems like the seller may be banking on you just giving up, further encouraging them to continue listing deceptively. I would open a SNAD and make them pay return shipping plus refund of purchase price and any original shipping you paid.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'd escalate it asap and stop wasting your time.

I recently got my money back when a lot of dress shirts showed up at my door and HALF of them had holes in the collars or missing buttons. Clearly not as described. I honestly don't think I've ever been that disappointed by an ebay purchase before...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

You, of course. Sellers like this douchenozzle give us all a bad name.