Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I agree, I have seen Navy blacker than black and only under bright daylight and close inspection does the simmering hue of blue show through. In a typical room environment normally lit, even a detailed look could reveal midnight navy as black.

It is no big deal if the seller called a very dark navy black, it is an honest mistake. The buyer should either return the item and get a refund or keep quiet over the mistake and leave the seller some good feedback. There is no point sending seller a complaint and then keep the tie with a neutral feedback or try and bargain a partial refund.

I wanted a black suit and got sent an extremely dark navy suit that was darker than my to go black suit. Knowing that the seller could not have told the difference between the shades, I let it go figuring I got roughly what I wanted in the end. All's well that end's well.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

To echo the others, I have a really hard time with dark navy and black. As long as the seller is friendly and takes care of the issue to your satisfaction there is no reason to leave even neutral feedback.

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

:brick::censored:

What do I tell her?

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Can you send the invoice again?

5. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

do other members feel the same way? i have some things i wanna sell and occasionally will pick things up from thrift stores. i might move 5 to 7 items every few weeks just for some money on the side.

would you guys recommend ebay or B&S?

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Late December and early January auctions are awesome. People blow through bonuses and gift cards.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I can, but I don't know that that will help. She has the first invoice in her email (duh), shouldn't she just have to click a link in their to go to a payment page? She's just very, very confused and I don't know how to better instruct her.

8. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

I got the Filson safari jacket that smelled like piss back from the dry cleaners, and am trying to photograph the damn thing. It's an XL that fits me like it's a XXXL. Anyways, any tips on getting it to sit properly on a M sized torso mannequin? Pack with lots of paper maybe?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

9. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Binder clips....but if it is that large you might just want to consider laying it flat.

10. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

I contacted seller, and he agreed that it seemed navy, but that the RLPL box it came from was labelled black.

I'm happy with the tie, and with his (prompt) reply, so I left positive feedback.

Thanks to all for the advice.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Me too. That's feedback extortion, against policy and unethical.

13. Steve Papas

Steve Papas Well-Known Member

What is unethical occurs when a buyer to receives a product in good condition and then changes his mind and wants a refund. He then threatens the seller and tells him he wants a full refund and if he does not get one, he will leave negative feedback and lie that the product that he received was damaged.

It is also unethical for a seller to to sell damaged goods and not mention this in his listing. The first course of action of any buyer it to first contact the seller and notify him of his error. If the seller is not willing to own up to his mistake and make things rights by offering a full refund and pay return shipping, then I see nothing unethical about threatening him with a negative feedback. Why should the buyer be out of money when he has to pay for return shipping for no fault of his own?

14. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

While I understand you were upset about the watch having a scratch on it (I would as well if the watch was sold as "New" condition) but the way you went about it would make me want to punch you in the tit.

15. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I won't pretend I don't flip for the money, but I always get a good feeling imagining my buyers getting their packages and being pleased with what I've sent them.