• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry I really had to brag on this one. Sold the Florsheims for 245$ 
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
 Don't judge, it's my new record ^^

It's all good. Even the big boys started somewhere. My record is a $2000 profit. ;)

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all good. Even the big boys started somewhere. My record is a $2000 profit.
wink.gif
WoW! I'm curious on which item?

almosthandsome

Reaction score
Had a case opened this morning on a jacket sold on the 18th of last month, buyer says he finally got around to taking it to his tailor and his guy says it measures as a 44L. Here's the jacket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hart-Schaff...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item4ad71fe772

I'm confident in my measurements. So close to fitting I almost kept it myself, and I'm pretty standard 42. That coupled with being well over my 14 day return time I'm tempted to politely tell him to pound sand. Alternatively, taking the return how do I fight the defect stemming from a bogus not as described?

Edit: Just realized from the link the thing is even tagged (with photo) 42R.

Fight it. You'll win.

Yup. Point out the tag. You didn't make up a measurement. You gave them the measurement from the manufacturer.

A follow up to this now 4 week old post. I fought the return obviously, consistently but politely standing by the measurements and tagged size and offering use of my pics in reselling. The buyer's replies continued along the same lines, basically, "this doesn't fit like my other 42Rs", "a pro tailor I took it to measured it as a 44long", "jacket is NOT 42R! I want to return for a full refund." After getting nowhere I escalated the case with a detailed description of all that had transpired and two days later got the message that Ebay had found in his favor and the refund would be made upon delcon of the jacket. Called Ebay that day and spoke to someone who assured me the decision wasn't final and the refund wouldn't go through until I inspected the jacket and called them. Well, that was b.s.
Jacket had a front button off on return (tucked inside pocket). Loose as stated in listing when sold, but obviously not returned in original state. Called to appeal the decision and report the state of returned item but was told, essentially, You lose, You get nothing, Good day sir.

Ebay: "Because you offer returns we allowed the buyer to return the item."
Me: "But the buyer waited nearly two weeks outside my 14 day return to open the case, let alone contact me."
Ebay: "Yes, but the buyer claims the item was not as described."
Me: "But the item WAS accurately described and the buyer has offered no evidence to show otherwise."
Ebay: "He says it fits bigger than his other jackets..."
Me: "What about the damage?"
Ebay: "We can't do anything about that."
Me: "What if someone returns a jacket with an arm ripped off?!"
Ebay: "We take these on a case by case basis."
Me: "Is the defect on my account from this permanent?"
Ebay: "We have no way to remove it at this time."

Appreciate the previous advice, and it didn't really change anything I would've done in this instance.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: NOTE - All the below might go out the window if you actually accept returns. I have a strict no return policy. Either way, always call

Live and learn, but I highlighted you mistake. NEVER EVER escalate a case via messages, always call and they can close it out in your favor over the phone. Get on the phone and speak with someone. You would have won this case 10/10 times if you had a person on the phone, no questions asked. 2 years ago before I knew all this stuff, no joke, I had someone write in the messages "you described it correctly and its a great suit" but I want to return it as it does not fit after being tailored. 1) they said I did everything correct, 2) they had the suit tailored. I did not call and lost. I won on appeal. The seller will loose almost every case unless its "item not received with proof of tracking" unless you call.

Did you already go through the actual appeal process, the formal process where you file an appeal, or did you just call. If you have not filed an actual appeal do so. Speak with someone, tell them it was "BUYERS REMORSE" and that the person deciding the case screwed up (they did). It was sold per the tag size which was pictured in the listing. I would not bother even mentioning the button off or the defect or anything, just that its buyers remorse, you did everything correct and the person deciding the case jumped the gun and screwed up.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WoW! I'm curious on which item?

I've only had three items sell for MORE than $2000 (well four, if you count my wife's old car): two bikes and a camera lens. It was the lens. The bikes have been good to me as well!

almosthandsome

Reaction score
Live and learn, but I highlighted you mistake. NEVER EVER EVER escalate a case via messages, always call and they can close it out in your favor over the phone. Get on the phone and speak with someone. You would have won this case 10/10 times if you had a person on the phone, no questions asked. 2 years ago before I knew all this stuff, no joke, I had someone write in the messages "you described it correctly and its a great suit" but I want to return it as it does not fit after being tailored. 1) they said I did everything correct, 2) they had the suit tailored. I did not call and lost. I won on appeal. The seller will loose almost every case unless its "item not received with proof of tracking" unless you call.

Did you already go through the actual appeal process, the formal process where you file an appeal, or did you just call. If you have not filed an actual appeal do so. Speak with someone, tell them it was "BUYERS REMORSE" and that the person deciding the case screwed up (they did). It was sold per the tag size which was pictured in the listing. I would not bother even mentioning the button off or the defect or anything, just that its buyers remorse, you did everything correct and the person deciding the case jumped the gun and screwed up.

Ah, interesting. I only did so after getting nowhere with the buyer and assuming that was the next step. Mind you, this was after weeks of intermittent contact by the buyer and an open case sitting on my screen. Would've been a bit more of a bulldog in pushing the buyer toward a resolution but we we're busy having a baby at the time. In my call today I did specify that I was appealing the case but that of course got me the prior result. I see that I did receive an email immediately after:

"Thanks for your message. The case you contacted us about was closed after we made a final decision on it. We'll review your question or concern and get back to you within 48 hours.
You can view the details of this case in the Resolution Center."

Auto generated or does this portend anything? Should I call again tomorrow? Thank you for your time, Brian.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, interesting. I only did so after getting nowhere with the buyer and assuming that was the next step. Mind you, this was after weeks of intermittent contact by the buyer and an open case sitting on my screen. Would've been a bit more of a bulldog in pushing the buyer toward a resolution but we we're busy having a baby at the time. In my call today I did specify that I was appealing the case but that of course got me the prior result. I see that I did receive an email immediately after:

"Thanks for your message. The case you contacted us about was closed after we made a final decision on it. We'll review your question or concern and get back to you within 48 hours.
You can view the details of this case in the Resolution Center."

Auto generated or does this portend anything? Should I call again tomorrow? Thank you for your time, Brian.
10$ say they'll refund you, remove any negative comments you may have had, and you get to sell the jacket again :D Happens all the time.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one positive thing about the new seller ratings is a lot of sellers drop out of TRS, and a lot drop out of selling all together. Gonna be a chunk of less competition.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sold another $1600 camera lens... I'm beginning to wish I had more camera gear to sell!

rhyme

Reaction score
Just sold another $1600 camera lens... I'm beginning to wish I had more camera gear to sell!
Not camera gear but lenses only - They retain their value and the you would be lucky to buy one for 20-30% off retail especially the high end items.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. So, if I had a case dated 5/11 that currently shows up on my "trending" data, that should fall off in another day or so, right? In that case, I may keep TRS after all.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not camera gear but lenses only - They retain their value and the you would be lucky to buy one for 20-30% off retail especially the high end items.

Yeah, that's true... The three camera bodies (two D2X's and one D3) I have up for sale aren't drawing much attention.

rhyme

Reaction score
Yeah, that's true... The three camera bodies (two D2X's and one D3) I have up for sale aren't drawing much attention.
You can also try fredmiranda buy/sell forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics