Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FondDeJante

FondDeJante Active Member

Aw, don't spoil my fun.

I find that setting buyer restrictions (ie must have linked PayPal account with a credit card on file, etc) means that it's too much trouble for someone to set up a fake account just to give me grief. Or maybe I've just been lucky so far?

2. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I'd like to know about Israel as well - have a potential bidder just contacted me.

3. ruben

ruben Senior member

I've had no problems shipping to Israel w/ regular usps first class. Only done it a couple times though.

4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Apparently this is a thing:

"Monday, December 10, will also serve as “Green Monday,” a term coined by eBay to describe the best sales day in December and traditional kick-off to the heaviest online shopping week of the year. According to comScore, in 2011 U.S. consumers spent $1.1 billion on Green Monday alone."

So who's ending auctions on Monday, December 10?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I don't know how much volume you are doing, but when you have 1500-2000 transactions a year, you are bound to have one or two looney birds.

6. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I got an email to my private account - not via ebay - about the authenticity of an item, a Hermes tie.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230880804563?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

He stated that he took it to Hermes in NYC and there was a question about its authenticity.

1. I replied that I'd be happy to work with him to resolve the issue.
    2. I asked him to open a correspondence with me via ebay messages, that way we are both protected.

I think it's authentic. It has the loop, and the tag and printed logo. I'm going to ask him though what the store told him.

Question:
    If I refund him, any thoughts about reselling or doing a second chance bidder?

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I guess this is the thread for this since I'm reselling. Put up an ad for a video game on craigslist at 35.

Her: My husband really wants this... would you take 30?
    Me: No, price is 35.
    Her: I only have 50 to last me through the week and I need to fill my tank which will be like 20. It's really hard being the only one working.

So let me get this straight. Your husband isn't working and supporting you/your family, and to help motivate him into finding a job you want to spend over half your weekly allowance buying a fucking video game? I feel no sympathy for you.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You have no compassion. Do you realize how shitty daytime TV is?

Also, the "negotiator" who always has to get a discount irritates the shit out of me. If you had offered it for $20 she would have been hammering at it to buy it for $15.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I'm aware. Sometimes I don't feel like dealing with this shit so I price it where I want it. It's a brand new, recent release game that's going for $40 on sales plus tax. $35 cash is the best deal around right now, but people always want something for less. I often say people value items at what the seller is asking, not what's it worth.

Breaking news: I didn't reply... turns out she's getting more money Sunday. That was fast :rolleyes:

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

It honestly looks legit to me, but I don't know all of the ins and outs. I'd offer him a refund and relist or second chance it. It's better that than him opening a dispute with PayPal and you'd potentially be out the money and they'd have him trash the tie. Not the ideal situation, but you're definitely handling it correctly so far and hopefully you can get him to simply return it, relist it and sell it for more!

I absolutely despise people like this. Do they not realize that things like this are a luxury and not a given?! I remember my first apartment with my wife...we had one big room for our living room/dining room/kitchen/bedroom and getting something "extra" at the grocery store (like name brand juice) was a luxury. During that time, 30% of my wages went to the Austrian government for taxes (minimum tax bracket) and we weren't getting anything in return.

Yeah, it's a game for most people so they won't feel as though they paid too much. It's the expectation that the price should be lower because they should haggle with you, regardless of the fact that it's a fair price they'd be willing to pay otherwise.

11. sns23

sns23 Senior member

I would ask him for a printed letter from the Hermes store he went to and then you will refund him. I would say chances are he made up the story.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

1. do NOT reply via your email. Copy/paste that message and reply via ebay messages. do NOT reply via email.

2. Hermes does not authenticate items, they just dont. The only way youll get them to tell you its real or fake is if you take it to the store to get repaired. They wont repair fake items. You can ask them to clean/restitch the tie and once you have it back with the letter/receipt, youre good. But if its in his hands, its probably too late for that.

Try a SCO if you refund and get back, less hassle.

13. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+1 - It used to be that you could send items directly to their repair center, but I believe their policy is now that the items has to be sent to the repair center via a store. Generally speaking, if it has the loop, from everything I have ever read it is authentic.

14. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Well, I did that first thing, even before I posted my original query. BUT I only replied to say Please resubmit your question via ebay messages so that we're both protected.

So far I've heard nothing via that channel. My guess is I won't because...

I checked the delivery information (thank god I use tracking!) - it was delivered yesterday at 11:58 am. So within 24 hours he'd cast his eye on the tie, decided for whatever reason to stop by a Hermes retail outlet, got it "authenticated" and then dropped me a line via personal email (which he probably got from the shipping label - for some reason Canada Post puts it on the label). He seems pretty hot to trot.

Yet when I ask him to get the ball rolling via a formal channel I hear nada?

He should be so lucky to get another Hermes at that price!

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. If things do proceed I'll be prepared.

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Send Brianpore his username, for the list