• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying an LCD tv, need advice

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tax returns mean I get to buy myself a present :)

I'm limited to 50" of total space where I want to mount the TV so I'm looking at 46" LCDs. I'd like to keep my total (including wall mount) under $1500 and still get something I'll be happy with.

Crutchfield is having a pretty nice sale, they have this Westinghouse TV for $1300 and you get a free $500 wall mount with it and free shipping.

The sale ends this week so I'm not sure if I should hold out for after-superbowl sales or if this is as good as I'll get. I've never heard much about Westinghouse electronics but both Crutchfield and Amazon had over 50 positive reviews.

Advice? Suggestions? All is appreciated!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-ln-t...204222893.html $1475 plus $75 shipping. This is a nice TV, 1080p, good picture. I have seen it in person and have purchased a TV from this site without issue. 5-star rating on buy.com, and good reviews from cnet and other sites. Personally I would spend the extra $200 and get the brand-name, I don't think you will regret it, especially if you are going to keep the TV for a few years.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Is mounting definitely what you are going to do?

Samsung DLPs are amazing, but I guess not an option for you. What will you use this TV for primarily? Some TVs are better for home theater, for gaming, for every use, etc.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, mounting is one of the main reasons I'm going to flat-screen. My living room's floor space is limited. I'm going to mount the TV and move the receiver, cable box, HTPC to a corner and keep the cables hidden.

The primary use will be movies/TV. The HTPC will use the DVI port and will serve as the DVD player too. The PC is also beefy enough to play a lot of games at high graphics quality.

UMass

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Westinghouse. Samsung, Sharp (Aqous), Sony(BraviaEngine&XBR) are the better brands. Pioneer on high price range.

Best Buy has 3 year no financing on all Samsung LCD TV over $1000.

Note: Samsung & Sony have JV on lcd's, as well as Sharp and Pioneer. The Koreans are actually ahead of the Japanese in LCD development.

If you consider Sony, look at the models with "S"(KDL-32S300) or their top of the line XBR series. For Sharp only consider their Aqous series.

If you purchase via internet go to brick and morter store to view picture first. I would price match with the store then get through the internet with a large LCD TV because of shipping. If you do get through the internet open the box to make sure no damage while the delivery guy is present.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Samsung 50 inch dlp instead.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the LNT4671 all hooked up, the picture and clarity is bananas.

jeffery.jones

Reaction score
I prefer the Samsung's over the other brands. They are doing great. I ersonly bought a Samsung LCD TV from checkcost.co.uk. They have a wide range of lcd tv's at the best price. I choose the Samsung LE46M87BDX. I liked this model because it features an integrated digital tuner, de-juddering picture enhancement technology and a stylishly modern design.
http://www.checkcost.co.uk/lcd-tvs/c...-85983042df78/

chas

Reaction score
Have you thought about plasma. Pannasonic has a 46" in your price range and I much prefer the picture of a plasma to lcd.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
I don't have any useful comments about which to choose, but if you're in Baltimore, you might consider actually going to the Crutchfield outlet store in Charlottesville, VA or Harrisonburg, VA.

The prices are pretty aggressive, and they extend the same warranty to the outlet items that they do for new items. Most are just returns, not refurbs. You can probably call ahead to check the inventory there before going.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
Have you thought about plasma. Pannasonic has a 46" in your price range and I much prefer the picture of a plasma to lcd.
While LCD's have made great leadway, as the owner of a Panny plasma, I very much agree....especially considering Panasonic will soon take over production of Pioneer's glass.

Dekayte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoulPatcher
Is mounting definitely what you are going to do?

Samsung DLPs are amazing, but I guess not an option for you. What will you use this TV for primarily? Some TVs are better for home theater, for gaming, for every use, etc.

I just bought this Samsung DLP. If you don't mind the 16" depth it's super worth the money. 61" screen, 1080p, no lamp since the new generation uses LEDs, etc, etc.

Samsung HL61A750 61-inch 1080p LED Powered DLP HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001415FIG/
Price: $1,564.88

I read all the reviews, and it's been pretty damn good. I like it so far. If you aren't set on the mounting this might be the way to go since it's close to your price range and will be significantly bigger than any OLED, LCD, or Plasma TV you buy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Despite owning a Samsung LCD 1080p TV (which I really like), I'm a staunch supporter of Plasma, especially Pioneers. Fujitsu makes some really beautiful ones too. Honestly, comparing LCD with plasma, in the 50" bracket, there's no comparison. Plasma just looks universally better.

Oh, and this is comparing properly calibrated TVs in identical conditions, all using HDMI cables. I'm not talking about on the stoor flore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads