• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Tux

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've decided to purchase a tux as I have a lot of black tie events coming up and it's about that time. Here's what I plan to go with:

Notch lapel, single button, flat front pants, self-tie bowtie (obviously), cummerbund.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the above? I want to go with something classic that will look good and last 5-10 years.

I'm looking to spend less than $800 on everything (including shoes and any accessories). I'm wary of some of the chains like Men's Wearhouse or Jos A Bank, etc, but am open to them if you guys have had good experiences. Do you have any recommendations for what brand or where to buy otherwise?

Thanks!

G

loreley

Reaction score
If you want to go classic, go peak lapel, not notch.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos A Bank has one button tuxes with both peak and shawl (and notch) lapels for cheap (around $350 IIRC). The quality is perfectly fine for a garment you aren't going to wear twice a week.

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by loreley
If you want to go classic, go peak lapel, not notch.

Do you think the peak is the more timless of the two? ie. will still look good in 10 years?

G

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Jos A Bank has one button tuxes with both peak and shawl (and notch) lapels for cheap (around $350 IIRC). The quality is perfectly fine for a garment you aren't going to wear twice a week.

Thanks Bleachboy--I plan to wear my tux only a few times a year. So you don't think I should have any concerns doing Jos A Bank? I was checking them out and they do seem to have pretty good prices and the material looked pretty nice when I checked it out in-store.

G

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginghamphatts
Do you think the peak is the more timless of the two? ie. will still look good in 10 years?

G

Absolutely.

Before you buy anything, spend some time on this site: www.blacktieguide.com

Follow his recommendations to the letter. I wish it had been around when I was buying my first tux. Would have saved me some money in replacing it later.

Also, if you are going with JAB, go with their Signature peak lapel tux. Will cost a bit more, but is much better quality, IMO.

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Absolutely.

Follow his recommendations to the letter. I wish it had been around when I was buying my first tux. Would have saved me some money in replacing it later.

Thanks, Mark. I'm sold on the peak, and will check out this site before I buy. I was hoping to avoid just what you warned about. I wanna do this right the first time!

G

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginghamphatts
Also, what about the shirt? What should I go with? What style?

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Absolutely.

Also, if you are going with JAB, go with their Signature peak lapel tux. Will cost a bit more, but is much better quality, IMO.

Originally Posted by pmowen
This site has some good info. Classic is always best to start:
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...Definition.htm

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turndown collar. Wing collars virtually always manage to look silly. Pleats are your call, but if you do your own laundry, keep in mind that they can be a pain to iron.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size tux do you need?

-LR

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's always a matter for debate but IMO and that of many others on here the turndown collar looks much better than the wing collar, if only because you don't have the black strip of the tie going around the back of your neck. (Don't even think about those 'tunnel necked' wing collar shirts).

I got two from Thomas Pink in marcella, which is the picque texture that is more formal than a plain poplin cotton shirt but not as fussy as pleats or ruffles. French cuffs of course.

I found I preferred the one I can use my studs with to the one with the fly front (hidden buttons). I will happily sell the fly front one - brand new, unworn, 15.5 collar, 34 sleeves IIRC. PM if interested.

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
It's always a matter for debate but IMO and that of many others on here the turndown collar looks much better than the wing collar, if only because you don't have the black strip of the tie going around the back of your neck. (Don't even think about those 'tunnel necked' wing collar shirts).

I got two from Thomas Pink in marcella, which is the picque texture that is more formal than a plain poplin cotton shirt but not as fussy as pleats or ruffles. French cuffs of course.

I found I preferred the one I can use my studs with to the one with the fly front (hidden buttons). I will happily sell the fly front one - brand new, unworn, 15.5 collar, 34 sleeves IIRC. PM if interested.

So should I go with French cuffs? I have yet to do these--I want to make sure the sleeves are tailored right, so will I need to consider French cuffs when I get the length tailored? I would assume.

G

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads