1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Tux

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ginghamphatts, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Loads of people advocate wearing black calf oxfords with a tux. If you have the budget then make the effort with the shoes too.

You are wearing a suit, shirt, (bow)tie, studs, links and braces that you don't wear on any other day, but you're gonna pair all that with the shoes you wore to the office last Wednesday? Naaah.

I kicked this around for a while and eventually got some patent leather lace ups. Might not be full welt quality but they will only be worn a couple of times a year. I also like the way the shiney patent is reflected in shiney satin trouser stripe, lapels and bow tie (and black silk braces too although they aren't seen), along with shiney black studs and cufflinks. you can debate weather to go for the pumps, slip ons, oxfords or derbies but make an effort so your shoes match the elegance of your clothes.

2. LennonMcCartney

LennonMcCartney Well-Known Member

Are Brooks Brothers Tuxedos worthwhile?

3. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Loads of people advocate wearing black calf oxfords with a tux. If you have the budget then make the effort with the shoes too.

You are wearing a suit, shirt, (bow)tie, studs, links and braces that you don't wear on any other day, but you're gonna pair all that with the shoes you wore to the office last Wednesday? Naaah.

I kicked this around for a while and eventually got some patent leather lace ups. Might not be full welt quality but they will only be worn a couple of times a year. I also like the way the shiney patent is reflected in shiney satin trouser stripe, lapels and bow tie (and black silk braces too although they aren't seen), along with shiney black studs and cufflinks. you can debate weather to go for the pumps, slip ons, oxfords or derbies but make an effort so your shoes match the elegance of your clothes.

For me it's not a budgetary consideration, I just really dislike the look of patent leather and would never wear a shoe with a bow on it. What I really want is a wholecut slip-on, something that has the shape of a dress slipper, but is in leather.

4. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Are Brooks Brothers Tuxedos worthwhile?

I bet the Golden Fleece one is in-fucking-credible. My formal shirt is Golden Fleece and it is one of the nicest shirts I've ever seen, and I have seen a LOT of really nice shirts.

5. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I bet the Golden Fleece one is in-fucking-credible.

I highly, highly doubt that... Considering this line of tuxes rarely goes on sale, and when it does it's usually a deal for buying two of them, you can do soooo much better for the $1,600 BB charges if you don't need it tomorrow.

My Zegna was $1k at the outlet, eHaberdasher has a Brioni (granted it's size 48 US) for $1,900 and when the annual sales happen, I've seen RL with RLPL tuxes as low as $2k.

That's not to say the BB isn't a nice tux (though for their supposed top line, at the very least you still have to have the pocket flaps removed. But I digress...), but nothing about the tux or the value for the money screams "in-fucking-credible" to me.

6. nelly

nelly Senior member

Hey guys, so I've decided to purchase a tux as I have a lot of black tie events coming up and it's about that time. Here's what I plan to go with: Notch lapel, single button, flat front pants, self-tie bowtie (obviously), cummerbund. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the above? I want to go with something classic that will look good and last 5-10 years. I'm looking to spend less than $800 on everything (including shoes and any accessories). I'm wary of some of the chains like Men's Wearhouse or Jos A Bank, etc, but am open to them if you guys have had good experiences. Do you have any recommendations for what brand or where to buy otherwise? Thanks! G
    I personally just purchased a Paul Smith Byard Tuxedo (notch, single, flat front). Luckily, I was able to get it used but in mint condition for $300. In retrospect, a peak lapel might be more classic but the PS Byard is very slim fitting so I think the notch is quite appropriate. Brooks Brothers makes a Fitzgerald fit tuxedo with your exact specifications: http://tinyurl.com/4qfwz6j