1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Tux

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ginghamphatts, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ginghamphatts

ginghamphatts Member

Hey guys, so I've decided to purchase a tux as I have a lot of black tie events coming up and it's about that time. Here's what I plan to go with:

Notch lapel, single button, flat front pants, self-tie bowtie (obviously), cummerbund.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the above? I want to go with something classic that will look good and last 5-10 years.

I'm looking to spend less than $800 on everything (including shoes and any accessories). I'm wary of some of the chains like Men's Wearhouse or Jos A Bank, etc, but am open to them if you guys have had good experiences. Do you have any recommendations for what brand or where to buy otherwise?

Thanks!

G

2. loreley

loreley Senior member

If you want to go classic, go peak lapel, not notch.

3. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Jos A Bank has one button tuxes with both peak and shawl (and notch) lapels for cheap (around $350 IIRC). The quality is perfectly fine for a garment you aren't going to wear twice a week.

4. ginghamphatts

ginghamphatts Member

If you want to go classic, go peak lapel, not notch.

Do you think the peak is the more timless of the two? ie. will still look good in 10 years?

G

5. ginghamphatts

ginghamphatts Member

Jos A Bank has one button tuxes with both peak and shawl (and notch) lapels for cheap (around $350 IIRC). The quality is perfectly fine for a garment you aren't going to wear twice a week.

Thanks Bleachboy--I plan to wear my tux only a few times a year. So you don't think I should have any concerns doing Jos A Bank? I was checking them out and they do seem to have pretty good prices and the material looked pretty nice when I checked it out in-store.

G

6. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Do you think the peak is the more timless of the two? ie. will still look good in 10 years?

G

Absolutely.

Before you buy anything, spend some time on this site: www.blacktieguide.com

Follow his recommendations to the letter. I wish it had been around when I was buying my first tux. Would have saved me some money in replacing it later.

Also, if you are going with JAB, go with their Signature peak lapel tux. Will cost a bit more, but is much better quality, IMO.

7. ginghamphatts

ginghamphatts Member

Absolutely.

Follow his recommendations to the letter. I wish it had been around when I was buying my first tux. Would have saved me some money in replacing it later.

Thanks, Mark. I'm sold on the peak, and will check out this site before I buy. I was hoping to avoid just what you warned about. I wanna do this right the first time!

G

8. pmowen

pmowen Member

9. ginghamphatts

ginghamphatts Member

Also, what about the shirt? What should I go with? What style?

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Also, what about the shirt? What should I go with? What style?

Absolutely.

Also, if you are going with JAB, go with their Signature peak lapel tux. Will cost a bit more, but is much better quality, IMO.

This site has some good info. Classic is always best to start:
    http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...Definition.htm

11. ginghamphatts

ginghamphatts Member

Just looking for opinions, man. I'm checking the website, too. Thanks all the same.

G

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Turndown collar. Wing collars virtually always manage to look silly. Pleats are your call, but if you do your own laundry, keep in mind that they can be a pain to iron.

13. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

What size tux do you need?

-LR

14. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

It's always a matter for debate but IMO and that of many others on here the turndown collar looks much better than the wing collar, if only because you don't have the black strip of the tie going around the back of your neck. (Don't even think about those 'tunnel necked' wing collar shirts).

I got two from Thomas Pink in marcella, which is the picque texture that is more formal than a plain poplin cotton shirt but not as fussy as pleats or ruffles. French cuffs of course.

I found I preferred the one I can use my studs with to the one with the fly front (hidden buttons). I will happily sell the fly front one - brand new, unworn, 15.5 collar, 34 sleeves IIRC. PM if interested.

15. ginghamphatts

ginghamphatts Member

It's always a matter for debate but IMO and that of many others on here the turndown collar looks much better than the wing collar, if only because you don't have the black strip of the tie going around the back of your neck. (Don't even think about those 'tunnel necked' wing collar shirts).

I got two from Thomas Pink in marcella, which is the picque texture that is more formal than a plain poplin cotton shirt but not as fussy as pleats or ruffles. French cuffs of course.

I found I preferred the one I can use my studs with to the one with the fly front (hidden buttons). I will happily sell the fly front one - brand new, unworn, 15.5 collar, 34 sleeves IIRC. PM if interested.

So should I go with French cuffs? I have yet to do these--I want to make sure the sleeves are tailored right, so will I need to consider French cuffs when I get the length tailored? I would assume.

G

16. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

I bought my tux about 3 years ago from Charles Tyrwhitt & it is pretty good. You can probably get that done for under your $800 budget, and what I liked about the CT tux was the slimmer cut than most cheap rental tuxes.

Be careful though as they all have working buttonholes, which means you have to be close on the sleeve measurements otherwise any significant sleeve shortening has to take place at the shoulder rather than the wrist. They have good measurement charts on the website though so you can probably order the right one.

I bought my shirt @ Thomas Pink ... decent enough IIRC ... but I mostly bought it there because I was interested in their shirt studs. (CT does a double-sided shirt stud with MOP on one side and onyx on the other, but ends up being pretty bulky ... Pink studs are either MOP or onyx on one side and a thin plain silver backing on the other, so slimmer.)

17. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Senior member

I personally like like wing collars, it's a break away from the norm of turndown collars. A chance to do something different for neckwear and it is not weird with black tie.

However nobody here will probably do it.

18. 1901

1901 Member

French cuffs are key.

19. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

So should I go with French cuffs? I have yet to do these--I want to make sure the sleeves are tailored right, so will I need to consider French cuffs when I get the length tailored? I would assume.

G

Yes definitely French cuffs but all proper tuxedo shirts should have them anyway. It's a nice chance to wear cufflinks if you don't do so on an everyday basis. I would suggest getting the shirt first and wearing it when you buy your suit or have it altered, that way they can adjust the sleeves of the jacket to fit perfectly and show about 1cm of shirt cuff. The trick is of course to make sure your shirt slevves are the correct length first.

I inherited from my dad a pair of silver elastic metal sleeve garter thingies which he only used to wear with his dinner suit. Not really sure of their purpose, as if your shirt is sized correctly the sleeves will be the right length. I've never worn them but I keep them anyway for the whimsical intrigue.

20. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

I would consider JAB. I purchased their Signature PL tuxedo last month during one of (seemingly) their better sales - 50% off and second suit for $1.

It's a pretty decent tux that hits all the right marks - PL, single button, no vents, grosgrain (which I prefer over satin).

I also think they have 60% off sales semi-frequently.

Still trying to figure out where to find a pique turndown collar shirt that uses 3 studs rather than 4.