• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a tame wolf

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I should very much like to purchase a wolf cub. Not one of those feral-looking dogs that have been bred to bring out their wolflike, if protean features. But a real wolf. A tame one, ideally.

Where would a delightful young eccentric of unlimited means, such as myself, go about looking for such a beast?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you see the Dogs Decoded episode of Nova that aired recently? There's a segment on how tamed wolves are really ****** pets.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Did you see the Dogs Decoded episode of Nova that aired recently? There's a segment on how tamed wolves are really ****** pets.

That sucks.
frown.gif

I would imagine they're not all that tame or domesticated -- not in a violent way, per se, but in an unruly and disinterested-in-me sort of way. Also, I bet their thick undercoat of fur would make them unsuitable for the Los Angeles climate.

I shall have to live with my six horses and my Belgian sheep dog, whose name is Count Fernando de Leon-Rivas XIII.

xander_horst

Reaction score
Dogs are essentially neotenous wolves, that is they are locked in a "pup-state" their entire lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny

Those domesticated foxes have basically been speed-evolved into the same state by modern human intervention.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those foxes are ******* adorable. If I ever hit a jackpot, I'm totally dropping $6k on one.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
not a tame wolf, but this is a friend across the pond playing with cheetah
eVw3h.jpg

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not tame...

The problem with having one is that one day it's fine and the next they're ripping some kids bottom lip off. They will tear your house apart and they need constant attention.

Ahh...growing up in Alabama provides a very many interesting experiences

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Owning wolves is prohibited in many jurisdictions.

As to wolf hybrids, a good friend of mine said he knew three people who had purchased high-wolf-content hybrid pups. All three ended up in the hospital from maulings inflicted by their pets.

As one experienced animal tamer (who owns/owned, inter alia, a tiger and a leopard) remarked to me, "For 10,000 years we've been trying to take the wolf out of the dog, and now here are people trying to put it back in."

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still one of my favorite images ever:

fishingcat08.jpg

Black cat doesn't look pleased, but sure as hell isn't going to protest.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cats are pretty damn clean. Well, except for that open box of **** that you have to have readily available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics