• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying a suit from TK Maxx and having it altered!!

rossyl

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
175
Reaction score
4
Hi,

One of my friends swears by looking for decent suits that occasionally crop up in TK Maxx (he mentioned William Hunt, and a few other brands I cannot recall). I thought hmm, maybe an ok "High St" suit but you wouldn't get much better stuff from there. He assures me not.

He says he usually ends up paying £300-350 to buy the suit and get it altered. I must say the suits he wears are well fitted and look nice.

Thoughts?

Cheers
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,547
Reaction score
717
Originally Posted by rossyl
Hi,

One of my friends swears by looking for decent suits that occasionally crop up in TK Maxx (he mentioned William Hunt, and a few other brands I cannot recall). I thought hmm, maybe an ok "High St" suit but you wouldn't get much better stuff from there. He assures me not.

He says he usually ends up paying £300-350 to buy the suit and get it altered. I must say the suits he wears are well fitted and look nice.

Thoughts?

Cheers


TK Maxx is not noted for its "decent" anything. For that sort of money you can do far better.
 

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
132
Originally Posted by rossyl
Hi,

One of my friends swears by looking for decent suits that occasionally crop up in TK Maxx (he mentioned William Hunt, and a few other brands I cannot recall). I thought hmm, maybe an ok "High St" suit but you wouldn't get much better stuff from there. He assures me not.

He says he usually ends up paying £300-350 to buy the suit and get it altered. I must say the suits he wears are well fitted and look nice.

Thoughts?

Cheers


Seems like a lot of money to be dropping at a 'discount' retailer. I guess it depends on the manufacturer of the suit.

William Hunt FWIW is low end Savile Row RTW. Highly stylised (Think severely angled hacking pockets, 1 button, peak lapel) and not worth that sort of money IMO.
 

mlongano

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
303
Reaction score
5
The name of his alterations tailor may be the most important take away here.
 

miurasv

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
295
Reaction score
3
I once bought a William Hunt DB Fitted Coat/Jacket in TK Maxx that seemed loke a great buy at £60. However, it's rubbish. The buttons fell off and the lining ripped after only 1 wear.
 

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
3,519
Reaction score
836
Just tell him to kill himself. The world will be a better place.
 

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2010
Messages
2,008
Reaction score
87
Not saying the OP's friend isn't getting shit suits, but those in the States should note that he referred to TK Maxx, the UK offshoot of TJ Maxx. I've never seen anything but garbage in TJ's when it comes to suits, but I'm sure it's possible they get better stuff across the pond.
 

rossyl

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
175
Reaction score
4
I had a quick chat with him, and he's said: Jaeger, William Hunt, Strellson, Balmain, Ted baker, Calvin Klein, Yves Saint Laurent.
Originally Posted by mlongano
The name of his alterations tailor may be the most important take away here.

Indeed - like me he used to go to Thomas Tailor, as it's not far from work, but as you may have seen, unfortunately he might have to look elsewhere.
 

esoterica2006

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
109
Reaction score
3
Just thought I would add that my recent experience of TK Maxx is that you can actually find some gems (provided you wade through all the rubbish). The stores that carry the "Gold Label - VIP" stuff do sometimes offer some bargain purchases.

For example, this weekend in my local I picked up:

Two (last season) Lanvin ties for £10 each
Dior Homme Black Leather Boots for £80

They also had (amongst other things)

Tom Ford Black Dress Shoes for £200 (lovely but size 7!)
Tom Ford Three Piece 'Chino Coloured' Suit for £299
Brioni Suit (sz 56) marked from £7000(!?) to £699

I do agree with the comments that most of their stuff is poor and highly priced, even though it is clearly pushed as being "high end"
 

loiclac

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by esoterica2006
Just thought I would add that my recent experience of TK Maxx is that you can actually find some gems (provided you wade through all the rubbish). The stores that carry the "Gold Label - VIP" stuff do sometimes offer some bargain purchases.

For example, this weekend in my local I picked up:

Two (last season) Lanvin ties for £10 each
Dior Homme Black Leather Boots for £80

They also had (amongst other things)

Tom Ford Black Dress Shoes for £200 (lovely but size 7!)
Tom Ford Three Piece 'Chino Coloured' Suit for £299
Brioni Suit (sz 56) marked from £7000(!?) to £699

I do agree with the comments that most of their stuff is poor and highly priced, even though it is clearly pushed as being "high end"


which one is your tkmaxx?
 

noob in 89

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Messages
9,807
Reaction score
12,348
I've been referred to TJ Maxx for those brightly-colored socks that go well with wingtips. Better to pay $6 than $50 for a tiny piece of cotton you step on all day.

Otherwise, who knows. Maybe their suits really do give you herpes.
 

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
132
Originally Posted by esoterica2006
Just thought I would add that my recent experience of TK Maxx is that you can actually find some gems (provided you wade through all the rubbish). The stores that carry the "Gold Label - VIP" stuff do sometimes offer some bargain purchases.
Any way of telling which stores these are? Edit: Sorry I've answered my own question - http://www.blogtkmaxx.com/latest-new...is-gold-label/
 

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
2,014
Reaction score
1,265
I'd agree, TK Maxx can yield some decent deals - I've pretty much stopped going but in the past managed to buy:

- Bamford & Sons trousers and cashmere sweaters for £29.99
- Ballantyne hand intarsia cashmere sweaters for £64.99
- Bamford & Sons suede jacket for £99
- Lots of Pantherella socks from £1 upward
- A pair of Le Chameau boots for £79.99
- Some Barbour jackets for £69.99
- A couple of pairs of Yanko black brogues for £74.99 (actually really nicely made)

And lots more besides.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 141 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 69 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 35 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 23 5.4%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 14 3.3%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 26 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,484
Messages
9,199,478
Members
193,210
Latest member
cbulbul

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top