• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying a spinning bike for apartment?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I've been getting horribly out of shape since graduating college in May. I was running about 20 miles per week until the summer, and have probably run a total of 10 since then. Now that I'm working, I have almost no time to go to a gym -- my average day is 7am - 10pm -- and my apartment building doesn't have one. I have a 1+1, so I've got the room for an exercise bike. Just being able to get in 20 minutes before work and 20 minutes after work would probably go a long way. Can anyone recommend a good spin bike (prefer a real spin bike to a bulkier electronic upright) for under $1000? Also, is my apartment going to stink of sweat?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a Concept 2 rower. It is a better device for whole body fitness. And I say this as a cyclist.

innerstyle

Reaction score
Before you go the expensive machine route, I recommend trying some workout DVDs first. If you want a challenge try the Insanity DVDs.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mkd

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I've been getting horribly out of shape since graduating college in May. I was running about 20 miles per week until the summer, and have probably run a total of 10 since then. Now that I'm working, I have almost no time to go to a gym -- my average day is 7am - 10pm -- and my apartment building doesn't have one. I have a 1+1, so I've got the room for an exercise bike. Just being able to get in 20 minutes before work and 20 minutes after work would probably go a long way. Can anyone recommend a good spin bike (prefer a real spin bike to a bulkier electronic upright) for under $1000? Also, is my apartment going to stink of sweat?
Just get a trainer (a resistance device that clamps on the rear wheel) for your current bike. Minoura trainers go for around $100 used. Invest in a couple of Spinervals DVDs and you're good to go.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Just get a trainer (a resistance device that clamps on the rear wheel) for your current bike. Minoura trainers go for around $100 used. Invest in a couple of Spinervals DVDs and you're good to go.

I...don't have a bike.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then buy a bike and a trainer over a spinning machine since you can then use the bike for something besides spinning.

Riding outside is way better than spinning although far more time consuming for fitness purposes (since you coast when riding outside some).

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
Get a Concept 2 rower. It is a better device for whole body fitness. And I say this as a cyclist.

I used to have one of these before I moved. They're fantastic... no impact, total body workout.

Shiny

Reaction score
Can't help the OP, but i'd like to know how "foldable" spinning bikes are. That is, how easy is it to tuck them away in some corner so they wouldn't be in the middle of one's living room, if at all. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.