• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying a pair of Allen Edmonds Fairfax, should i go down half a size?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im considering buying a pair of allen edmonds Fairfax oxfords. Apparently they run big because they are on a long last. Im normaly size 11A. Should i go down to 10.5A?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The #5 last used for the Fairfax runs both long and narrow. If you are going down a half-size, you might also consider going from a A to B width.

I should point out that the A-E shoes I have on the #5 last--two pairs of Park Avenues and two pairs of Fairfaxes--fit me perfectly well in my customary size, so the suggestion that you have to go shorter and wider for A-Es on the #5 last doesn't always hold true by any means.

shoesies

Reaction score
maybe rethink the fairfax purchase - i dont really like mine, they fit and feel comfortable but the bal lacing has way too much gap

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoesies
maybe rethink the fairfax purchase - i dont really like mine, they fit and feel comfortable but the bal lacing has way too much gap

Oh for heaven's sake, mine have a considerable gap, more than my PAs or Byrons, but I don't consider it a big deal. It is mostly covered by my trousers anyway. Very, very few people outside of the forum culture are going to even notice, much less care about, the size of the gap on your bals.

shoesies

Reaction score
I think it's quite disgusting ... very unfinished and strange.

I am particular in the way I like things, and the gap on my fairfax is enough to warrant an opinion to others to spend their money on something that is closer laced and better looking.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 86 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 158 32.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 57 11.5%
  • 9”

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%