• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a NWT jacket that was custom made and never picked up... problems???

escheriff

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the fit of a suit that was made bespoke for someone else yet was never picked up and ended up at an outlet? One higher shoulder, one arm larger than the other, etc?

I can get a great deal on a NWT Oxxford on eBay that has all of the details I need-- double vents, high button stance-- and it's the perfect fabric. The seller provides excellent, detailed measurements, and according to the measurements, it should fit perfectly.

Here is my concern: If the person for whom it was made had a wonky shoulder, or one bulkier arm, or some other sort of deviation from the norm, then I guess I'm SOL.

Having just written this all out, it sounds like I should stick to off the rack when I'm buying online. But it's going to be hard to pass on that suit. Has anyone ever run into any of the above issues when buying a suit that was custom made for someone else?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by escheriff
Has anyone had any issues with the fit of a suit that was made bespoke for someone else yet was never picked up and ended up at an outlet? One higher shoulder, one arm larger than the other, etc?

I can get a great deal on a NWT Oxxford on eBay that has all of the details I need-- double vents, high button stance-- and it's the perfect fabric. The seller provides excellent, detailed measurements, and according to the measurements, it should fit perfectly.

Here is my concern: If the person for whom it was made had a wonky shoulder, or one bulkier arm, or some other sort of deviation from the norm, then I guess I'm SOL.

Having just written this all out, it sounds like I should stick to off the rack when I'm buying online. But it's going to be hard to pass on that suit. Has anyone ever run into any of the above issues when buying a suit that was custom made for someone else?

Depends on the price and the level of risk you are willing to take. What is the return policy?

escheriff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Depends on the price and the level of risk you are willing to take. What is the return policy?
Return policy is no questions asked, but only for store credit--which sucks, because they have nothing else in my size that I'd ever want.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return policy is no questions asked, but only for store credit--which sucks, because they have nothing else in my size that I'd ever want.

I'd pass then.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it was not picked up because it didn't fit right and they couldn't alter it, you may have issues. Would the seller know if has been altered and would he tell you? Most deals like this have had unsuccessful alteration attempts followed with a refund.

If the guy just bailed on it, who knows what you will get.

The measurements won't tell you if it was cut for any irregular posture, stooped or erect so you cannot expect it to fit like a RTW garment.
If you cannot use the credit you have some risk involved.

Have you ever tried an Oxxford on and does the cut work for you?

escheriff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
If it was not picked up because it didn't fit right and they couldn't alter it, you may have issues. Would the seller know if has been altered and would he tell you? Most deals like this have had unsuccessful alteration attempts followed with a refund.

If the guy just bailed on it, who knows what you will get.

The measurements won't tell you if it was cut for any irregular posture, stooped or erect so you cannot expect it to fit like a RTW garment.
If you cannot use the credit you have some risk involved.

Have you ever tried an Oxxford on and does the cut work for you?

The eBay seller bought it from a local shop on clearance. He doesn't seem to know the back story on why it wasn't picked up.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to offer him $100 less, which I hope will cover about 1/2 the alterations with my local bespoke tailor, assumign the alterations are significant. If he's cool with that, then I get a great deal, and then I'm taking a little less gamble.

I have had issues only with the Oxxford "Manhattan," which I downright despise. My favorite suit is a "Mason" model and I also find my very recent "Gibbons" to be a great suit, albeit a bit conservative. This bespoke one on eBay does not have a model name, but it appears somewhat soft shouldered and has a high button stance with double vents--it seems "Mason"-esque.

Thanks.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke or MTM does NOT have tags (NWT) so you had better establish what the garment is. Vendors can frequently be either dishonest or not know what they are talking about.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The eBay seller bought it from a local shop on clearance. He doesn't seem to know the back story on why it wasn't picked up.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to offer him $100 less, which I hope will cover about 1/2 the alterations with my local bespoke tailor, assumign the alterations are significant. If he's cool with that, then I get a great deal, and then I'm taking a little less gamble.

I have had issues only with the Oxxford "Manhattan," which I downright despise. My favorite suit is a "Mason" model and I also find my very recent "Gibbons" to be a great suit, albeit a bit conservative. This bespoke one on eBay does not have a model name, but it appears somewhat soft shouldered and has a high button stance with double vents--it seems "Mason"-esque.

Thanks.

Just pass.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of jackets that I think were intented to be MTM for the same guy. But I'm able to try the thing on. Turns out that the jackets fit me fairly well.

I'm not sure I'd buy something that I couldn't try on.

OTOH How different is this from buying an used altered item on Ebay?

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
How much money is at stake? I have seen some good prices and bad prices for Oxxford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads