• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a new suit

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also have two expensive bespoke suits that were given to me. Even though they're my size (38r) they look a little too big.

A bespoke suit is per definition tailored for an individual person and does not match any standard size

Regarding you question: If you can afford it, I'd go for a BB 1818 Fitzgerald since it apparently fits you well and is of decent quality. Make sure to sign up for BB Corporate Membership Program https://corporateshopping.com/discounts/brooks-brothers-corporate-membership which gives you always 15% discount and on special dates even 25%.

lawsuit

Reaction score

A bespoke suit is per definition tailored for an individual person and does not match any standard size

Regarding you question: If you can afford it, I'd go for a BB 1818 Fitzgerald since it apparently fits you well and is of decent quality. Make sure to sign up for BB Corporate Membership Program https://corporateshopping.com/discounts/brooks-brothers-corporate-membership which gives you always 15% discount and on special dates even 25%.

Bb store told me about it but said you must have 15 employees to qualify. I'm self employed.

I know what besoke is. A president of a company gave me a couple of his suits. His name is sewn inside along with the tailor who made them. While we are the same jacket size they don't look right.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bb store told me about it but said you must have 15 employees to qualify. I'm self employed.

I know what besoke is. A president of a company gave me a couple of his suits. His name is sewn inside along with the tailor who made them. While we are the same jacket size they don't look right.

Just click the link and follow instruction everybody can sign up...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They won't look right, he bespoke them and therefore they are to his requirements. You cannot define a bespoke garment by size in the manner you seem to believe correct. As a lawyer, you should be adept at understanding the nuance to be associated with broad brush words.

lawsuit

Reaction score

They won't look right, he bespoke them and therefore they are to his requirements. You cannot define a bespoke garment by size in the manner you seem to believe correct. As a lawyer, you should be adept at understanding the nuance to be associated with broad brush words.

At the time they were given to me I didn't know that much about suits. I knew they were nice, we were the same height, but they were too wide and older style. After a friend made a comment, I looked at myself in a full length mirror I realized that I should replace them.

lawsuit

Reaction score
Update: My suits came in the mail today. I'm happy to report no bullet holes. They're really great especially the BB Milano. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

lawsuit

Reaction score
I took the suits into a tailor (4 of them) and got the shock of my life. $850 to make the necessary alterations. I'm use to paying $10 to hem pants so you can imagine my dismay.

Last edited:

egluck3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I took the suits into a tailor (4 of them) and got the shock of my life. $850 to make the necessary alterations. I'm use to paying $10 to hem pants so you can imagine my dismay.

How poorly did the suits fit before you tailored them?

lawsuit

Reaction score
Not bad but I've grown accustom to wearing over sized suits. The pants were way too big he's reducing the waist and butt, tapering the legs, and hemming. He also wanted to take in the jacket waist and backside. I'm contemplating calling him back to reduce the amount of tailoring. He's highly reguarded and everything he showed me what he was going to do made sense but I only learned the cost after I left.

When I went to the Brooks Brothers store they made me aware of the problem I would face. Most suits are a drop 6 meaning a 38 jacket comes with 32 pants but I'm a 29-30. For the Milano style I needed a 39 jacket with 33 pants. BB recommended a made to measure option where jacket and pants are separate but that came with an additional cost to an already expensive suit $1,300.

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score

Not bad but I've grown accustom to wearing over sized suits. The pants where way too big he's reducing the waist and butt, tapering the legs, and hemming. He also wanted to take in the jacket waist and backside. I'm contemplating calling him back to reduce the amount of tailoring.

When I went to the Brooks Brothers store they made me aware of the problem I would face. Most suits are a drop 6 meaning a 38 jacket comes with 32 pants but I'm a 29-30. For the Milano style I needed a 39 jacket with 33 pants. BB recommended a made to measure option where jacket and pants are separate but that came with an additional cost to an already expensive suit $1,300.

$340 + $850 for 4 suits? I guess that's pretty good. Generally, if I have to invest that much in alterations, then I don't bother; but if you're already committed to the tailor, then might as well just make the best of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads