• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a new pair of (cheap) penny loafers

RangerP

Reaction score
Hey guys, My burgundy penny loafers are my go to shoes during the summer. The pair I currently have is completely finished. I'll wear them for weeks at a time without proper care so they naturally fall apart very quickly (I'm talking beach, parks etc) so I'm looking for a cheap pair. I'm heading to Miami in a few weeks and I'm planning on leaving my beat-up pair at home and just heading to a Bass store (which I've never tried) or a Nordstrom as soon as I'm off the plane to buy a pair for my stay. I typically take my time and look for deals for shoes but time and availability will dictate this purchase. (I don't have the option of buying any of these in my city) Remember, I'm looking for something cheap as a beater. My options of readily available pairs from what I can see online: 1 - Bass - from Bass Outlet store (Do they even carry the Weejuns usually?) $100 to $130
GOODWICKBUR_lg.jpg
Nordstrom: 2 - Allen Edmonds Walden - $225
_5197046.jpg
3 - Florsheim Berkley - $89.99
_5984910.jpg
4 - Cole Haan Pinch Air - $168
_5959005.jpg
Let me know what you like best/what you think is the best value for a beater... Edit: For the record, I like the look of the AEs the least...

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, Tommy Hilfiger ( I know, I know) has a really nice pair for $200. The last and color are very nice. I've seen them in person and would actually buy them if they ever go on sale.

I'm not a penny loafer guy but these are damn nice.............just a thought.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bass outlet stores do carry them, and if you catch em on one of the fairly routine sales you can get 'em under $100.

As for the quality, I've been happy with mine. I own nicer shoes too, but the bass hold up well. Perfectly resolable too, though it sounds like yours don't last that long.

Also know that the leather is stiff and they crush your toes when you first buy 'em, but they do break in.

Edit: with the note about liking the look of the AE ones best, Bass sells a flat strap version as well. I personally prefer those to beefrolls, which look somewhat awkward to my eye.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RangerP
Are people just picking the AE because there is so much love for AEs on this forum?

Remember, I'm using these as beaters....

What did you expect? Go with the Florsheim or Bass.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Is it available in burgundy?

It seems like there is only black and brown on the site....

Oh if you are insistent on burgundy then you are out of luck... but considering you can find it for 80-90 bucks on 6pm.com, it's much superior quality in my opinion.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it available in burgundy?

It seems like there is only black and brown on the site....

Looks like only black and brown, but brown would probably suit your purposes well.

And to the other guy, the gilman is a weejun. Weejun is a broad collection of shoes, not one specific model. The Logan (flat strap) and the Larson (beefroll) are the 'standard' model, with corrected grain (which the AE uses too, for some unknown reason), no lining, and blake/rapid construction.

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Looks like only black and brown, but brown would probably suit your purposes well.

And to the other guy, the gilman is a weejun. Weejun is a broad collection of shoes, not one specific model. The Logan (flat strap) and the Larson (beefroll) are the 'standard' model, with corrected grain (which the AE uses too, for some unknown reason), no lining, and blake/rapid construction.

Thanks for the info on the AEs. I didn't know that AE ever even used corrected grain. How do you know this, just by handling the shoe? I've never actually seen it in person.

Do you know if the AE Kenwood that someone mentioned is also corrected grain?

Originally Posted by MBradshaw
If you can get it there's the AE Kenwood.

Leather sole: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._category_rn=0

Rubber sole: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._category_rn=0

Wow...thanks for finding this. I didn't know that shoe existed. I do like this one much better...and it's $25 cheaper.

I think I'll have a problem finding it in stores as it's a new model though...

If someone is in the miami/ft.lauderdale area, feel free to let me know if you know of a store that carries these.

Originally Posted by MBradshaw
Theres an AE store in Orlando.

Thanks...but I don't think I'll be making it out that far.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the AEs. I didn't know that AE ever even used corrected grain. How do you know this, just by handling the shoe? I've never actually seen it in person.

Do you know if the AE Kenwood that someone mentioned is also corrected grain?

They usually don't.

AE makes a couple penny loafers, and the walden was, for some reason, made with corrected grain. At least I think it was the walden. Best reason I can figure is that they wanted to imitate the shine and easy care of the corrected grain Bass one, just with superior construction.

I have no idea about the kenwood.

Also, not all corrected grains are equal. You'll have nice grades and crappy grades. Hell, patent leather is essentially corrected grain made with an extra shiny finish, and you can certainly find that on some very nice shoes.

cmacey

Reaction score
Are people just picking the AE because there is so much love for AEs on this forum?

Remember, I'm using these as beaters....

For me, the answer is no. AE is a better made shoe with equal or better leather. Therefore, with these assumptions, the beater should last longer...
fight[1].gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
The Bass Gilman is a far nicer shoe than the weejun
agree. but they are so cheaply made. i had a pair and they would not break in. stiff cheap leather. the sole was too slippery on waxed floors, even after scuffing them up. looked good but were unpleasant to wear. felt like rented tux shoes. defeats the purpose of wearing a loafer ... is like buying an uncomfortable sofa. why do it for comfort and more bang for the buck i now buy only the alden LHS. the AE might be just as good .... no experience with them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads