• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a new laptop

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new laptop and turning to the forum for sage advice.

We have pretty basic needs (MS Office, internet browsing, basic Photoshop, etc.). We don't do any gaming, watch just a little streaming video, and don't have any need for heavy-duty graphics/audio hardware.

Our main requirements are pretty standard:
1) quick-ish startup and processing (we're upgrading from a Dell Latitude D610 laptop that I bought in January 2006, so our baseline is pretty low)
2) durability - this will mostly live at home (we don't have room for a desktop, so that's not an option), but we will travel with it now and again
3) longevity - we've had our current Dell laptop for 6 years, and, though we've put a few bucks into new batteries and AC adapters and some man-hours into a couple system restores, it has been a good horse

I have a Mac at work and like it fine, but frankly I don't find it much "better" than our current Windows system in terms of overall user experience, so the price difference makes me lean toward another Windows machine, but I'm not totally set on that. I'm also very open to refurbished.

If anyone has suggestions for laptop models to look at and/or vendors, online or B&M, I'd love your thoughts. Thanks!

blacktaro

Reaction score
Maybe a new Macbook Pro Retina? Macintosh is always fast at startup and processing (especially when you get an SSD). The battery of Macbook Pro is pretty long as well ( ~ 7 hours) and yeah, many of my friend using their power book till now without much maintenance cost. One more thing is they hold the price over time pretty good.
Best place to purchase a mac with low price is probably Craigslist.org, or Macmall.com

just my 0.02

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Screen size, weight, and price bracket requirements would help narrow it down a whole bunch.

Thanks. My current laptop has a 14.1-inch screen and is about 5.5 lbs. The screen could be a bit smaller and I wouldn't mind, and a weight in the range of 5-6 lbs is not a problem.

As far as price, I'd definitely like to spend less than $1k. If I could find something refurbished for around $500, that would be ideal.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^nice! i was sorely tempted to sell my x220, but i like the old keyboard better even if it's a ***** to clean

get the new lenovo models and install extra ram and an msata drive and it'll be awesome. 10+ hour battery life and super sturdy and pretty in its own right

dar2162

Reaction score
I'd go with something from ASUS. This is what I'd recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230518

PS Never though my first post here would be about a laptop
tongue.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
asus quality succkkkss. if i wasnt getting lenovo and i was loaded i'd get sony or maybe a mac maybe even samsung

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dell Inspiron 14Z

HP has several models in the low end that would work.

Acer Aspire X Timeline 14" might be able to swing it if you can get it on discount.

One of our own members sells refurbished Lenovo laptops. I know Thomas is a happy customer.

x26

Reaction score
I love IBM/Lenovo--great Luck with my T41 and T61.
They are a little more expensive but worth it:

ThinkPad X230 Best Seller

Price:$1,485.00
Web price:$849.00
After eCoupon:
$636.75
You save:$848.25

Use eCoupon code:
THINK801

ultraportable loaded with enough features to keep you focused and efficient from anywhere.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...781CA29B4ECB9ADAD8E72CF6FD61&menu-id=products

If your a Student or College Grad use edu discount.
Good Luck!

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another viewpoint:

Since budget is a main concern and you'll mostly use it inhome, I deduce battery life isn't very important.

I'd check online sales for any laptop. About 1.5 years ago I bought a

-Gateway NV54
-Intel Pentium Processor T4400
-15,6” 16:9 HD LED LCS
-320 GB HDD
-4 GB Memory
-DVD-Super Multi DI drive
-Webcam
-Multi-in-1 card reader
with Windows 7

Battery life now: 3.5 hours. 4.5 hours when new.

for € 420, including shipping for me and a slightly cheaper but better specced ASUS (with 500GB and a separate videocard) for my SO a little later. On my own I use memory hogs as Lightroom, iTunes etc. I'm sure a similar budget could give you something with much better specs, right now.

I have no specific recommendation.

Last edited:

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you wanting a laptop (expensive, harder to upgrade) rather than a desktop? If you aren't going to be taking it to work every day or similar I'd get a desktop. My desktop cost me a third of what a laptop would have cost for the same spec.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lenovo. New models coming (came?) out

Yepp new X230, T430 and W530 are out. X1 Carbon is coming out this month supposedly. T430u (ultra book) is coming out late in the year

Xx30s are out! Currently typing on a T430, awesome machines, only disappointment (for me) was the transition to 16:9 screen.

I thought T420 and T430 are both 16:9. Using X230 at the moment. Still have my X220 which I love. Lenovo changed the keyboard style and layout on the new models.

I love IBM/Lenovo--great Luck with my T41 and T61.
They are a little more expensive but worth it:
ThinkPad X230 Best Seller
Price:$1,485.00
Web price:$849.00
After eCoupon:
$636.75
You save:$848.25
Use eCoupon code:
THINK801

ultraportable loaded with enough features to keep you focused and efficient from anywhere.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...781CA29B4ECB9ADAD8E72CF6FD61&menu-id=products
If your a Student or College Grad use edu discount.
Good Luck!

Good price. Also, check out the Lenovo Thread

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads