1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a new laptop

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by adambparker, Jul 26, 2012.

1. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and turning to the forum for sage advice.

We have pretty basic needs (MS Office, internet browsing, basic Photoshop, etc.). We don't do any gaming, watch just a little streaming video, and don't have any need for heavy-duty graphics/audio hardware.

Our main requirements are pretty standard:
    1) quick-ish startup and processing (we're upgrading from a Dell Latitude D610 laptop that I bought in January 2006, so our baseline is pretty low)
    2) durability - this will mostly live at home (we don't have room for a desktop, so that's not an option), but we will travel with it now and again
    3) longevity - we've had our current Dell laptop for 6 years, and, though we've put a few bucks into new batteries and AC adapters and some man-hours into a couple system restores, it has been a good horse

I have a Mac at work and like it fine, but frankly I don't find it much "better" than our current Windows system in terms of overall user experience, so the price difference makes me lean toward another Windows machine, but I'm not totally set on that. I'm also very open to refurbished.

If anyone has suggestions for laptop models to look at and/or vendors, online or B&M, I'd love your thoughts. Thanks!

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Screen size, weight, and price bracket requirements would help narrow it down a whole bunch.

1 person likes this.
  3. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

Maybe a new Macbook Pro Retina? Macintosh is always fast at startup and processing (especially when you get an SSD). The battery of Macbook Pro is pretty long as well ( ~ 7 hours) and yeah, many of my friend using their power book till now without much maintenance cost. One more thing is they hold the price over time pretty good.
    Best place to purchase a mac with low price is probably Craigslist.org, or Macmall.com

just my 0.02

4. adambparker

Thanks. My current laptop has a 14.1-inch screen and is about 5.5 lbs. The screen could be a bit smaller and I wouldn't mind, and a weight in the range of 5-6 lbs is not a problem.

As far as price, I'd definitely like to spend less than $1k. If I could find something refurbished for around $500, that would be ideal.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Lenovo. New models coming (came?) out

6. hannibal06

hannibal06 Well-Known Member

Xx30s are out! Currently typing on a T430, awesome machines, only disappointment (for me) was the transition to 16:9 screen.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^nice! i was sorely tempted to sell my x220, but i like the old keyboard better even if it's a bitch to clean

get the new lenovo models and install extra ram and an msata drive and it'll be awesome. 10+ hour battery life and super sturdy and pretty in its own right

8. dar2162

dar2162 New Member

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

asus quality succkkkss. if i wasnt getting lenovo and i was loaded i'd get sony or maybe a mac maybe even samsung

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Dell Inspiron 14Z

HP has several models in the low end that would work.

Acer Aspire X Timeline 14" might be able to swing it if you can get it on discount.

One of our own members sells refurbished Lenovo laptops. I know Thomas is a happy customer.

11. x26

x26 Senior member

I love IBM/Lenovo--great Luck with my T41 and T61.
    They are a little more expensive but worth it:

ThinkPad X230 Best Seller

Price:$1,485.00
    Web price:$849.00
    After eCoupon:
    $636.75
    You save:$848.25

Use eCoupon code:
    THINK801

ultraportable loaded with enough features to keep you focused and efficient from anywhere.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...781CA29B4ECB9ADAD8E72CF6FD61&menu-id=products

If your a Student or College Grad use edu discount.
    Good Luck!

12. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Another viewpoint:

Since budget is a main concern and you'll mostly use it inhome, I deduce battery life isn't very important.

I'd check online sales for any laptop. About 1.5 years ago I bought a

-Gateway NV54
    -Intel Pentium Processor T4400
    -15,6” 16:9 HD LED LCS
    -320 GB HDD
    -4 GB Memory
    -DVD-Super Multi DI drive
    -Webcam
    -Multi-in-1 card reader
    with Windows 7

Battery life now: 3.5 hours. 4.5 hours when new.

for € 420, including shipping for me and a slightly cheaper but better specced ASUS (with 500GB and a separate videocard) for my SO a little later. On my own I use memory hogs as Lightroom, iTunes etc. I'm sure a similar budget could give you something with much better specs, right now.

I have no specific recommendation.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  13. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Why are you wanting a laptop (expensive, harder to upgrade) rather than a desktop? If you aren't going to be taking it to work every day or similar I'd get a desktop. My desktop cost me a third of what a laptop would have cost for the same spec.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Honestly, if you can wait a few weeks, there will be TONS of laptop deals once the back to school season kicks into high gear. Keep an eye on SlickDeals.

15. badsha

badsha Senior member

Yepp new X230, T430 and W530 are out. X1 Carbon is coming out this month supposedly. T430u (ultra book) is coming out late in the year

I thought T420 and T430 are both 16:9. Using X230 at the moment. Still have my X220 which I love. Lenovo changed the keyboard style and layout on the new models.

Good price. Also, check out the Lenovo Thread

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  16. adambparker

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. I'm pretty much decided on a Lenovo, and the T-series looks like it fits my needs best. The 14.1-inch screen will probably be more comfortable than the 12.5-inch X230.

I'm looking at the T430 and am wondering if anyone can weigh in on a couple options:

1) is the standard i3-2370M processor good enough, or is it worth and extra $30 for the i5-3210M processor (or $50 for the i5-3320M)?
    2) 1366x768 display v. 1600x900
    3) it's $160 to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB of memory - will it make a difference for pretty basic use?
    4) built-in 720p HD camera - decent price for $30?
    5) hard-drive: standard is 320GB (7200 rpm) - it's $10 to upgrade to 500 GB (5400 rpm) and $40 to upgrade to 500 GB (7200 rpm)

If anyone has thoughts on the value of the add-ons, that would be wonderful. The base price with the coupons on Lenovo's website is around $650, which seems like a good deal.

Thanks again.

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

DEFINITELY upgrade the screen. Skip the processor and the webcam unless you do a lot of Skype-ing. The HD is nice but that's all dependent on your usage. If you have a huge music library or like to edit videos then the 500gb 7200 upgrade would be good. Faster spinning means faster data access. I'm not up to date on laptop memory prices but that seems high for 8gb. You can always do it yourself later if you want to.

18. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

19. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Maybe space and portability are a consideration? Even if one is not planning on taking a laptop out of the house, they can easily be moved from room to room. A desktop, well requires a computer desk, and is pretty much limited to one room.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  20. badsha

badsha Senior member

Make sure you purchase 3 yr. Depot Warranty. Don't cheap out on warranty.