• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a new car...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking about either a Boxster, an A6 or a 5 Series. Any opinions or other suggestions?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get an A6. Great interior, not quite as big of a badge-conscious status symbol, AWD.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
of the 3 you mention i'd get the boxster.

but if i had that budget, i'd get an old alfa from the '60s for say $20k, and save the left over money for maintenance.

the ending of the movie "contempt", is brigitte bardo getting into jack palance's red alfa, they speed off, and then die in a car crash.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two very different kinds of cars in that group. Also, the A6 only comes with an automatic transmission. What do you want to do with the new car?

--Andre

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
There are two very different kinds of cars in that group. Also, the A6 only comes with an automatic transmission. What do you want to do with the new car?

--Andre

For my wife. We got rid of our second car about a month ago and now realize that we need two. Generally, we share the cars, whoever leaves first takes the one in back.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All you do is drive on hills, and all your parking spots are little. I'd go for an automatic beater and take the change to Wilkes and Bashford.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a former Audi employee, I must vote for the A6.

But, if you live where the weather's always nice, I'd go for the Boxster.

Truthfully, though (and you didn't ask this, I know) I like the 3-series over the 5, and the A4 over the A6.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the boxter, but it does seem less practical. but a lot of fun

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
As a former Audi employee, I must vote for the A6.

But, if you live where the weather's always nice, I'd go for the Boxster.

Truthfully, though (and you didn't ask this, I know) I like the 3-series over the 5, and the A4 over the A6.

Probably because they are more fun to drive because they are smaller and thus weigh less. Although, the 3-series is more fun to drive than the A4, I still prefer the A4 as a daily driver (obviously) and I don't even have Quattro on my car.

Jon.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I have done a fair amount of driving in each model of the BMW because of being a BMWCCA member and doing ultimate drives etc. My brother actually has an Audi S4, which I think is a superb mix of power and luxury. I would actually look into the S4 as an alternative to the A6-- at least as something to test drive. It's a lot more fun to drive though it is a little smaller.

My advice is to go muy a car magazine like Top Gear that has a review of cars in your price range and then go test drive as much as possible. I say this for two reasons: 1. the differences between cars like the A6/5 Series is going to be somewhat negligible in a global sense. Which one you prefer is going to be a matter of preference, so it's hard to say over the internet what is right for you. 2. In the price range you are looking at there is a lot out there in terms of choices- hell, you could get a lotus elise.

Although less sexy, the Phaeton is a hell of a car and basically the half brother of the Bentley (also, maybe a little out of your price range). The Infiniti G45 is also a great combination of Japanese reliability and German performance.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I have done a fair amount of driving in each model of the BMW because of being a BMWCCA member and doing ultimate drives etc. My brother actually has an Audi S4, which I think is a superb mix of power and luxury. I would actually look into the S4 as an alternative to the A6-- at least as something to test drive. It's a lot more fun to drive though it is a little smaller.

My advice is to go muy a car magazine like Top Gear that has a review of cars in your price range and then go test drive as much as possible. I say this for two reasons: 1. the differences between cars like the A6/5 Series is going to be somewhat negligible in a global sense. Which one you prefer is going to be a matter of preference, so it's hard to say over the internet what is right for you. 2. In the price range you are looking at there is a lot out there in terms of choices- hell, you could get a lotus elise.

Although less sexy, the Phaeton is a hell of a car and basically the half brother of the Bentley (also, maybe a little out of your price range). The Infiniti G45 is also a great combination of Japanese reliability and German performance.

The S4 uses up a lot more gas though than the A6...really, they are two different cars and are not really comparable. An S4 vs. an M3, now that's a more valid comparison.

And WTF happened to your self-imposed timeout?

Jon.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
You're right, the S4 is a obviously a performance/tuner car, whereas the A6 is for all intents and purposes a family sedan. However, if you're looking at an Audi, I think it's worth looking at all the models. That being said, I am guessing that a someone considering a Boxster is searcing for something a bit more sporty. Also, costwise the S4 is a lot more reasonable than the M3 and I would venture to say a lot more practical given that it's a sedan and all wheel drive.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're right, the S4 is a obviously a performance/tuner car, whereas the A6 is for all intents and purposes a family sedan. That being said, I am guessing that a someone considering a Boxster is searcing for something a bit more sporty. Also, costwise the S4 is a lot more reasonable than the M3 and I would venture to say a lot more practical given that it's a sedan and all wheel drive.

Yeah, but I wonder if the S4's 4.2-liter V8 isn't a lot more of a gas guzzler than the M3's 3.2-liter I6, also I think the M3 weighs less (again, coupe vs. sedan). I could look all this up online, but alas...

Jon.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yeah, but I wonder if the S4's 4.2-liter V8 isn't a lot more of a gas guzzler than the M3's 3.2-liter I6, also I think the M3 weighs less (again, coupe vs. sedan). I could look all this up online, but alas...

Jon.

Hey, I agree with you in terms of general principles here. I am just speaking from experience- my older brother has had a 2002 S4 for the last 4 years and has loved it. He is an avid skier and also into amatuer racing down at Lime Rock. In his case, the car has proved to be an excellent marriage of performance and practicality. I've only ridden in an M3 in very limited circumstances, but I do not think the two cars are quite the same. This is just my opinion and obviously if you were in someplace like Florida, my distinction would probably seem less imporant.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, I agree with you in terms of general principles here. I am just speaking from experience- my older brother has had a 2002 S4 for the last 4 years and has loved it. He is an avid skier and also into amatuer racing down at Lime Rock. In his case, the car has proved to be an excellent marriage of performance and practicality. I've only ridden in an M3 in very limited circumstances, but I do not think the two cars are quite the same. This is just my opinion and obviously if you were in someplace like Florida, my distinction would probably seem less imporant.

Actually in FL, it all really depends if you like seeing 150 BMW's every 15 minutes while you are driving your BMW or you rather see 10 Audi's every hour while driving your Audi. I personally like seeing less of my car / car brand as possible. If not it all becomes a bit too monotonous. Hell, I see at least 1 Bentley every day. EVERY DAY (its really unbelievable)

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads