• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Monocle

minhthemaster

Reaction score
Does anyone here own a monocle? I'm looking to buy one, not as part of daily wear by any means but for those special occasions that require one. I'd like it to be something that I would own for a couple years, so not cheaply made.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LabelKing rocks a monocle on occasion. Perhaps he could guide you in this matter.

Otherwise, I don't know why the hell anyone would want a monocle for anything other than a costume event.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

Does anyone here own a monocle? I'm looking to buy one, not as part of daily wear by any means but for those special occasions that require one. I'd like it to be something that I would own for a couple years, so not cheaply made.

What occassion would require a monocle? A live action Monopoly game? Auditioning for the role of Mr. Peanut? A showing of Der Ring des Nibelungen? I'm really, really curious about this. Sounds too good to be true.

minhthemaster

Reaction score
I go to occasional formal events where everyone wears the same generic attire, so I'd like to differentiate myself a little bit. And sometimes I go to hipster events too.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most modern monocles are cheaply made and fall apart after a few intense peers. If you want something you can use for serious inspections, you should probably go vintage. Once Upon A Midnight, Dearie in NY has a nice selection and the staff all wear monocles so they have good, practical advice.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In terms of style, I will go out on a limb on occasion but not so far as to fall off. Donning a monocle is somewhere beyond falling off.

I go to occasional formal events where everyone wears the same generic attire, so I'd like to differentiate myself a little bit. And sometimes I go to hipster events too.
This is known as style without content. Consider finding a reason before wearing something.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

What occassion would require a monocle? A live action Monopoly game? Auditioning for the role of Mr. Peanut? A showing of Der Ring des Nibelungen? I'm really, really curious about this. Sounds too good to be true.

In terms of style, I will go out on a limb on occasion but not so far as to fall off. Donning a monocle is somewhere beyond falling off.

This is known as style without content. Consider finding a reason before wearing something.

An eye-patch would create a similar differentiation, and, unlike a monocle, would offer the opportunity to sell advertising space.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

ElDave

Reaction score
I wish I could understand, even if just for a moment, what it's like to wake up one day and think, "I need a monocle."

Dingus

Reaction score
To satisfy my curiosity, I just got to try on a monocle at home through the Warby Parker free home try-on program (along with 4 normal frames). Why? Because.

Here are my reactions/questions:

• How does anyone wear one?! It only stayed in for a few seconds at a time. My face is not built for swagger.
  • which eye would be the one to get? If you have an rx, it's most likely different and having only one eye isn't helpful.
  • who besides a Brooklyn hipster, Sherlock Holmes cosplay freaks and evil billionaires could really rock this look?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An eye-patch would create a similar differentiation, and, unlike a monocle, would offer the opportunity to sell advertising space.

Not to mention an eye patch makes you look tougher and cooler compared to a monocle which makes you look evil or greedy.

caxt

Reaction score

Most modern monocles are cheaply made and fall apart after a few intense peers. If you want something you can use for serious inspections, you should probably go vintage. Once Upon A Midnight, Dearie in NY has a nice selection and the staff all wear monocles so they have good, practical advice.

+1

They go far and beyond the needs of the average monocle wearer. Well worth the trip.

caxt

Reaction score

Not to mention an eye patch makes you look tougher and cooler compared to a monocle which makes you look evil or greedy.

This is actually a common misconception about average monocle wearers, or AMWR’s (pronounced: am-wor’s.) In reality though an AMWR is neither evil nor greedy. Furthermore you might be surprised to find that the AMWR is actually a very caring and giving individual.

On the other hand how many people with eye patches have you seen save a bus load of children? If the answer is zero, you should consider donating to the ANWR Society for a Better Sight Picture of Tomorrow in One Eye. Proceeds go to help down on their luck monocle wearer's who had their pieces slip and fall into the drain puddle while delivering babies roadside in Brooklyn.

I think once AMWR’s become an accepted part of Western culture again can we truly begin to flex our monocle muscles so to speak. Hopefully that day is coming soon, as many of our highly respected and vaulted members have been forced to sell their beloved eyewear (to feed orphan babies) and when they recoup the funds needed to purchase newer pieces (after tax refunds) they are only left with cheap knockoffs which no true AMWR would let grace his or her waxed and perfumed eyebrows.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen monocles in a number of eyewear stores recently in the Bay Area. But, I've only seen Label King wear one in real life and that was like 3-4 years ago.

Or, there is a new thing called "Google". All the kids are using it. It turned up this http://www.eyeglass.com/monocles.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads