1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Monocle

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by minhthemaster, Mar 19, 2012.

1. minhthemaster

minhthemaster Member

Does anyone here own a monocle? I'm looking to buy one, not as part of daily wear by any means but for those special occasions that require one. I'd like it to be something that I would own for a couple years, so not cheaply made.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

LabelKing rocks a monocle on occasion. Perhaps he could guide you in this matter.

Otherwise, I don't know why the hell anyone would want a monocle for anything other than a costume event.

3. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

What occassion would require a monocle? A live action Monopoly game? Auditioning for the role of Mr. Peanut? A showing of Der Ring des Nibelungen? I'm really, really curious about this. Sounds too good to be true.

6 people like this.
  4. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

5. minhthemaster

minhthemaster Member

I go to occasional formal events where everyone wears the same generic attire, so I'd like to differentiate myself a little bit. And sometimes I go to hipster events too.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most modern monocles are cheaply made and fall apart after a few intense peers. If you want something you can use for serious inspections, you should probably go vintage. Once Upon A Midnight, Dearie in NY has a nice selection and the staff all wear monocles so they have good, practical advice.

1 person likes this.
  7. RSS

RSS Senior member

In terms of style, I will go out on a limb on occasion but not so far as to fall off. Donning a monocle is somewhere beyond falling off.

This is known as style without content. Consider finding a reason before wearing something.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

An eye-patch would create a similar differentiation, and, unlike a monocle, would offer the opportunity to sell advertising space.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    3 people like this.
  9. GBR

GBR Senior member

+1

10. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I wish I could understand, even if just for a moment, what it's like to wake up one day and think, "I need a monocle."

11. Dingus

Dingus Member

To satisfy my curiosity, I just got to try on a monocle at home through the Warby Parker free home try-on program (along with 4 normal frames). Why? Because.

Here are my reactions/questions:

• How does anyone wear one?! It only stayed in for a few seconds at a time. My face is not built for swagger.
    • which eye would be the one to get? If you have an rx, it's most likely different and having only one eye isn't helpful.
    • who besides a Brooklyn hipster, Sherlock Holmes cosplay freaks and evil billionaires could really rock this look?

12. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Not to mention an eye patch makes you look tougher and cooler compared to a monocle which makes you look evil or greedy.

13. caxt

caxt Well-Known Member

+1

They go far and beyond the needs of the average monocle wearer. Well worth the trip.

14. caxt

caxt Well-Known Member

This is actually a common misconception about average monocle wearers, or AMWR’s (pronounced: am-wor’s.) In reality though an AMWR is neither evil nor greedy. Furthermore you might be surprised to find that the AMWR is actually a very caring and giving individual.

On the other hand how many people with eye patches have you seen save a bus load of children? If the answer is zero, you should consider donating to the ANWR Society for a Better Sight Picture of Tomorrow in One Eye. Proceeds go to help down on their luck monocle wearer's who had their pieces slip and fall into the drain puddle while delivering babies roadside in Brooklyn.

I think once AMWR’s become an accepted part of Western culture again can we truly begin to flex our monocle muscles so to speak. Hopefully that day is coming soon, as many of our highly respected and vaulted members have been forced to sell their beloved eyewear (to feed orphan babies) and when they recoup the funds needed to purchase newer pieces (after tax refunds) they are only left with cheap knockoffs which no true AMWR would let grace his or her waxed and perfumed eyebrows.

1 person likes this.
  15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have seen monocles in a number of eyewear stores recently in the Bay Area. But, I've only seen Label King wear one in real life and that was like 3-4 years ago.

Or, there is a new thing called "Google". All the kids are using it. It turned up this http://www.eyeglass.com/monocles.html

16. james_timothy

:rotflmao:

17. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

What exactly is an "intense peer"?

18. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm trying to think of what "special occasions" would require a monocle, period fancy dress perhaps?

Also does one require corrective lenses for just one eye or both?

19. james_timothy

Closely related to the "Intense leer".

20. hyt123

hyt123 Senior member

Warning: Audio NSFW