• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Mini

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kinda surprised no one has suggested an E-30 M3 yet.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never drove one but i think Minis seem awesome. Small, quick, can park anywhere, reasonably priced, dont have to be burdened with driving a lot of people around or moving someone.

I've actually asked about 3 or 4 girls if they thought I was gay if I had one and all of them said Yes. Of course, I do drive a sebring so whatever...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sebrings aren't necessarily 'gay' - they're just the automotive equivalent of Seven for all Mankind bootcut jeans.

Farhan

Reaction score
The CVT automatics on the firs-gen r53 Minis are ****. Get a manual or the automanual in the second-gen r56.

Because dealers strongly recommend prolonged oil service intervals on brand new motors, many 30-40k mile Minis have only had 2 oil changes. Unacceptable especially on high-tolerance forced induction motors.

The short wheelbase makes for a jarring ride. Handling is superb but a comfortable highway cruiser the Mini is not. Factory 16s ride kind of harsh, 17s are nearly brutal, God have mercy on you if you go 18s or up. This coming from someone who rides 19s on his 90s Toyota. Replace factory run-flats with a quality tire asap.

Fuel economy is excellent even when driven spiritedly, even a FI model.

The leatherette interiors aren't easy to maintain and show their age quickly. Go with real leather interior if possible.

Panoramic sunroof, multitouch steering wheel, heated seats/mirrors, xenons are some of the more important & desirable options.

JCW editions are SWEET! I've seen many sell at very tempting prices. I'd be looking exclusively at them if I was back in the market.

Try to find one from an enthusiast owner who can provide proof of unscheduled maintenance. Not an easy task given most are driven/owned/leased by people who could hardly care less about such things.

r53 vs. r56 is usually a pretty heated debate. I like the styling & added size of the r56, and the fact that the S model is turbocharged in the r56 vs. supercharged in the r53.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GTI is awesome, but the pedal position is awkward for heel-toeing.

i think it works quite well, actually. its the drive-by-wire and associated lag (could also be heavy flywheel) that makes it less fun.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Get a GTI instead. It's a better car and a better value.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why exhume an old thread - the guy got a SLK AMG didn't you notice?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Dunno. Saw it on the "threads you might be interested in" thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads