1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Mini

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SField, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This is what we do on SF. :laugh:

2. SField

SField Senior member

Yea, that is pretty typical. Luckily my dad had another car he'd gotten sick of, and gave it to me, which is how I got my last car. That frees up about 30k in cash for me, some of which I'll probably need for repairs... the thing is an AMG so the fucking cupholders would probably be 1000 to replace if they break. So far he's had no problems with it, although he only put 8k miles on it in a few years. Being shipped on Saturday should get here sometime next week.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Good outcome. Enjoy it!

4. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

GTI is awesome, but the pedal position is awkward for heel-toeing.

Dunno bout the mini..

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Kinda surprised no one has suggested an E-30 M3 yet.

7. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

never drove one but i think Minis seem awesome. Small, quick, can park anywhere, reasonably priced, dont have to be burdened with driving a lot of people around or moving someone.

I've actually asked about 3 or 4 girls if they thought I was gay if I had one and all of them said Yes. Of course, I do drive a sebring so whatever...

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Sebrings aren't necessarily 'gay' - they're just the automotive equivalent of Seven for all Mankind bootcut jeans.

9. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

The CVT automatics on the firs-gen r53 Minis are shit. Get a manual or the automanual in the second-gen r56.

Because dealers strongly recommend prolonged oil service intervals on brand new motors, many 30-40k mile Minis have only had 2 oil changes. Unacceptable especially on high-tolerance forced induction motors.

The short wheelbase makes for a jarring ride. Handling is superb but a comfortable highway cruiser the Mini is not. Factory 16s ride kind of harsh, 17s are nearly brutal, God have mercy on you if you go 18s or up. This coming from someone who rides 19s on his 90s Toyota. Replace factory run-flats with a quality tire asap.

Fuel economy is excellent even when driven spiritedly, even a FI model.

The leatherette interiors aren't easy to maintain and show their age quickly. Go with real leather interior if possible.

Panoramic sunroof, multitouch steering wheel, heated seats/mirrors, xenons are some of the more important & desirable options.

JCW editions are SWEET! I've seen many sell at very tempting prices. I'd be looking exclusively at them if I was back in the market.

Try to find one from an enthusiast owner who can provide proof of unscheduled maintenance. Not an easy task given most are driven/owned/leased by people who could hardly care less about such things.

r53 vs. r56 is usually a pretty heated debate. I like the styling & added size of the r56, and the fact that the S model is turbocharged in the r56 vs. supercharged in the r53.

10. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

i think it works quite well, actually. its the drive-by-wire and associated lag (could also be heavy flywheel) that makes it less fun.

11. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Get a GTI instead. It's a better car and a better value.

12. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Why exhume an old thread - the guy got a SLK AMG didn't you notice?

13. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Dunno. Saw it on the "threads you might be interested in" thing.