• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a first suit

Furq

Reaction score
I've been reading many of the threads here, and some other sites online. I'm 22, and looking to buy a first suit. I'm fairly tall at 6'2, but pretty skinny as well.

I've tried on a few suits at different stores, and they all fit fairly different as could be expected. Off the rack, a ralph lauren black label fit me pretty well. A boss suit at nordstrom was a bit boxy on me, as were the brooks brothers suits I tried on. Many of the slimmer fitting suits from boss and brooks brothers that were shown to me had pinstripes, and from what I've read pinstripes aren't recommended for tall skinny people. Brooks does have a good sale right now though (2 suits for 1500) which is essentially the price of one black label suit.

The staff at the different stores say they will adjust the clothes to fit me, but I'm unsure if bringing in the sides so much would change the shape and look of the suit itself causing it to not look right. Although the black label suit is the best fitting, I'm unsure if it's worth paying the higher cost when I will certainly gain weight within the next 10 years and may no longer fit in it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Furq

Reaction score
Also wanted to note that this would be used for a few different uses, such as interviews for med school to possibly a wedding or two

Closer

Reaction score
if it is your very first suit go for solid charcoal. IMO it is the most versatile color.

i have 2 RLBL's. i wore a grey one with avery faint glenplaid today. the quality is good. i wear suits everyday. i only wear RLBL when i will not see clients. actually i usually wear RLBL at night to parties. The cut is so slim, it could put some peopel off in some situations.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your first suit go grey or blue (solid). Although RLBL is a hell of a suit, try the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald model. It's a little more conservative and cheaper. Use the search function on this site to research each model. They seem to be be the most popular slim fit suits out there and a lot has been written about them.

Median

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with RLBL for a first or go-to suit, and if it fits you well already, then go for it.

Furq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandemic
check out thick as thieves

Sorry but I'd rather not order a suit online. Even if it's made to measure, too many variables I wouldn't be comfortable dealing with for a first suit

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your jacket size? With that information, it would be much easier to advise you.

acconrad

Reaction score
everyone seems to advise RLBL as the first go-to, does that work if you're a 46R w/ a 13'' drop to the waist?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads