Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying a cashmere sweater?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Jul 14, 2006.

1. horton

horton Senior member

do yourself a favor and buy one of the sweaters from Lance. You won't touch a deal like that elsewhere

2. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Why are the sweaters on Virtualclotheshorse.com significantly more expensive than those at J.Crew?

(We all know how reputable Lance is. I'm asking about the quality difference I should be looking at, not implying overpricing.)

3. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Quality-wise, the Scott Hill cashmere I've bought from Lance leaves the JCrew sweaters in the dust. At $145 or so, they are a steal. Personally, I think they run a little large, so ask Lance for the measurements.

4. ragdoll

ragdoll Senior member

I have a Scott Hill from Lance that is virtually identical to an Avon Celli of mine.
    I believe the AC was the maker. Quality will be substanially superior to J.Crew.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Another vote for the Scott Hill. Top-notch cashmere. They are sized large, enough to be ridiculously unwearable for my body type, but should work well for you (josepidal).

6. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

What size, roughly, conforms to the J.Crew collar size 17 in the Thomas Mason shirts? (I think these were slim fit, but I have a large collar size so it worked out for me.) I'm a medium in Ralph Lauren Polos.

Also, what color would work for me? Taking the advice regarding dark colors, I figure blue would be flexible but it'd be boring, so something like purple might work out better. Then again, that might be restrictive if I need to wear the sweater with a tie in the future.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Discounters around this time of year (Marshall's etc) will also have good deals on cashmere items, especially in hot areas. I just picked up a black Theory cashmere sweater for $29 today at the Marshall's in Metro Pointe (Retail $1099)

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Theory cashmere sweater retailing for $1099? Either times are a-changin or Marshall's mark up wildly.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Probably a little bit of both, although sometimes they have ridiculously low "Compare at" prices on their stuff. I got a pair of Seven Slimmys there (Retail $192) that said "Compare at $99.95" and they were priced at $59.99

I have bought both Theory and Varvatos blazers at Marshalls for $30 and $40 respectively that said "Compare at $395" when they were ~$600+ each, but then again I have seen some RLPL polos that said "Compare at $500" when MSRP was $169.

10. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

If you were to have only one cashmere sweater, what color would be best?

I was thinking about Lance's purple Scott Hill v-necks, for example, but I'm not sure how that matches with other items and my complexion (fair-skinned, Chinese descent). I suppose dark gray would be the safest choice?

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

......People have told me that I will find a v-neck cashmere sweater (or two) indispensable.....
    Indispensable????
    A wool sweater is indispensible... a cashmere sweater is a luxury!

btw... your topic about wool socks for warmth... no wool DD/Patharellas are warm enough for a true northeastern winter. Those are dress socks.

12. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I didn't quite have wool Pantherellas in mind specifically for the winter, but since you brought it up, what are good winter socks?

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I didn't quite have wool Pantherellas in mind specifically for the winter, but since you brought it up, what are good winter socks?

Yeah Jan... since you brought it up.

14. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Matt, since the query wasn't directed at you and since you didn't answer it anyway, might it be too much to request that you restrain yourself from doing the ernest routine? If it's not too much trouble, that is.

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I also recommend the J. Crew. Great value arguably at MSRP.