• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a car-VW Phaeton

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's not the car. It's going to a VW dealership for service
frown.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
It's not the car. It's going to a VW dealership for service
frown.gif

QFT. The absolute worse car service experience I've ever had was with a VW dealership days after I had just purchased a new Jetta, with subsequent service issues throughout the remainder of the time I had the car. The car was fine, but getting routine service from the dealership was a pain. I'd like to think that they've improved on this dimension by now.

henrikc

Reaction score
What about the Audi A8?
I personally like it better than the Phaeton, and it's not a very flashy car. Just remove the badges from the back and to the untrained eye it looks like a slightly larger A6.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
What about the Audi A8?
I personally like it better than the Phaeton, and it's not a very flashy car. Just remove the badges from the back and to the untrained eye it looks like a slightly larger A6.

I like the A8, and the 2011 looks promising. I've always been concerned about the aluminum body in that it drives up insurance cost, substantially, and in the event of a need for body repair, the car may have to be shipped to elsewhere, even another state, for repairs. I actually don't know whether repairs for Audi A8 can be done locally where I live, but I know that this was an issue when the car was first introduced.

Monaco

Reaction score
A8 is also a great car, very understated as few people in America buy it (compared to the other premium luxury marque(s). You don't need to take off the badges, nobody really knows it anyways.

henrikc

Reaction score
I see, I see. There's obviously a few smaller problems, like JayJay pointed out, but I like the A8 a whole lot of better than the Phaeton. And what about the S8? A classmate drove her fathers S8 to school one day, it's a helluva car. It has a huge engine, but when you're driving normally you can't even hear it inside.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A guy at a firm down the street from me has one and loves it. They were pretty highly-rated as I recall, and as pointed out by several others, they are a great way to have a higher-end car without flashing it around too much. The finishing is apparently much better than other cars in the class.

I was under the impression VW was bringing them back to North America quite soon?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always just go to an Audi dealership for service anyway.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Top Gear really is the best car show by a long shot. That was a great clip. And
eek.gif
@ 201mph in that thing. I never would have guessed it.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
You can always just go to an Audi dealership for service anyway.

Actually an Audi dealer would be unable to service a Phaeton but a Bentley dealer could, whether he would or not I have never bothered to find out as they pick mine up from me and return it so I never have to see the dealership.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads