1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying 2 suits, mixing jackets.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ears, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ears

Ears Member

This may seem silly, so feel free to say so. I'm starting out at a small company in Vancouver, and I need to buy a few suits. It's a mix of casual/dress setting, where some will wear suits, some wear jackets and jeans, and others are in khakis and t-shirts.

I was wondering, if I buy 2 suits of the same type (like 2 BB Fitzgerald, or 2 TaT's with the same cut), but one in gray, and the other in navy.... can I mix the jacket with the pants? I'm always seeing people mixing gray jackets with navy pants, or vice versa, and I was wondering if this was a good way to go about it, before I go and buy separates which may or may not be cut right for the pants. I'm still brand new at the whole suiting aspect of clothing, so please correct me if this is completely wrong.

Thanks for the help.

2. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the issue with it is the jackets are just that, suit jackets and not sport coats. Sport coats generally have different details than suit jackets so the mix and match combos will look off. For example sport coats have different buttons generally and sometimes have sportier pockets like patch pockets. Also in odd jackets the colors can be more vibrant, or the patterns louder. Also, sport coats generally have a different weave or finish to the fabric so they don't look just like orphaned suit jackets.

4. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

A while ago I was contemplating the BB Fitz navy linen suit which had white buttons. If it were something like this you might be able to make it work.

Hey, my boss does it all the time. He wears a different suit jacket as a sport coat everyday. No one says boo. Mind you everyone is afraid of him.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

You are absolutely wrong with this idea.

6. Sentinel

Sentinel Active Member

Vancouver is a bit odd when it comes to dress. It's definitely a less formal city than Toronto. If your new office is a mix of casual to dressy, it might be an idea to get a navy blazer and a gray sports coat to start instead of two suits. You'll be able to dress them up and down with anything from jeans to wool pants and it will give you a lot more options than two suits.

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I have a navy suit and sometimes wear the jacket with odd trousers; nobody who isn't a styleforum member will notice that it's not a "blazer". Plain grey might not work so well as an odd jacket, depending on the shade, and definitely not with navy trousers.

8. thebac

thebac Senior member

This sounds like a much better idea if you don't actually need suits. Otherwise, you could also buy one suit and one sport coat, and buy another suit/sport coat later as needed.

Vancouver is a bit odd when it comes to dress. It's definitely a less formal city than Toronto. If your new office is a mix of casual to dressy, it might be an idea to get a navy blazer and a gray sports coat to start instead of two suits. You'll be able to dress them up and down with anything from jeans to wool pants and it will give you a lot more options than two suits.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

You might well be able to pull it off with suits with casual styling. I have two suits from Chan that are casually styled (patched pockets, 3 roll 2). One is tan and one is medium blue. I have thought if I went on a cruise or something that it would be possible to mix the jackets and trousers for a bit of variety. (Both are from Harrison's Frontier fabric).

With conservative suits meant for business, I don't think you could pull it off well. Maybe a navy jacket with solid tan or gray trousers would work, but the whole concept is "iffy."

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

You are 100% right.....it is silly!