• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying 2 pair of Allen Edmonds, which best fit my style

J P D

Reaction score
Hi.

I am looking to purchase two pair of quality shoes to use in my day to day rotation. I typically wear dress slacks (navy, charcoal, mid gray) with a tucked dress shirt (open collar, rolled sleeves, white/blue/pink), sweater over that in cooler weather. My day to day is very casual so there are no requirements there. Sometimes I wear dark denim and t-shirt or polo. I want two shoes that can work with any of those and rotate day to day. My third pair will probably be a black PA or Carlyle and my fourth will be a casual loafer. I already have a cheap brown loafer I can wear with jeans. Focused on the first two for now.

AE has a clearance sale going on the next few days that I would like to take advantage of.

I am looking at getting a pair of 5th Ave in Merlot with a matching belt. I figure this shoe would fit my style and also work with a navy suit/tie when needed. These are under $200 with the current sale. Is this shoe/color a good balance for my more casual style?

I need help with the second pair. Should I get a more casual derby that can still dress up? The Rogue oxford in Dark Chili is also on clearance sale. Would this shoe/color be a good second pair for my style? I kind of wanted to get a brown or walnut to have more differentiation between the two shoes and I worry the Merlot/Chili will be too similar. Should my second pair be a brown strand? I prefer a more sleek shoe, the strand is probably the most broguing I would do.

I am looking to make the purchase of the Merlot 5th ave this weekend before the sale ends. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

vaulter1

Reaction score
The 5th Ave in Merlot is a good choice in my opinion but may I ask why you're saving the Black PA for the third pair? To me, those are a solid staple that'll go with anything in your wardrobe and since you don't have any black currently would add variety. As for the Rogue vs Strand I went for the Strand in Brown as I found they looked slightly more refined and the darker color doesn't highlight the brouging as much as the walnut. They have more brouging in total than the Rogue but to me it's not quite as 'chunky' - especially on the toe, if that makes sense.

Astaroth

Reaction score
What works with both charcoal trousers and blue jeans really doesnt exist.

Charcoal is your challenge as this doesnt really look well with anything but black, though I am sure others here will say otherwise.

So, given the generally dressed down look you want then a pair of back brogues that will go with the charcoal trousers and then some dark brown toe caps with either a derby or monk closures as the second pair

J P D

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I am still learning.

I am in the US, if that makes a difference. I currently wear a black pair of $50 oxfords and have received many comments from people that I should not be wearing black outside of very formal situations (weddings, funerals, interviews, court), which I hardly ever find myself in, so if black is to be reserved for those situations, getting a pair of black PA right now would not help with my day to day rotation, which is why I was planning on purchasing formal shoes third.

I was under the impression that the dark Merlot color would pair with charcoal slacks/suit nicely similar to a black shoe but more appropriate for my level of formality.

Thanks again.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I currently wear a black pair of $50 oxfords and have received many comments from people that I should not be wearing black outside of very formal situations (weddings, funerals, interviews, court)

And now you're receiving a comment from me, that what you've been told by those people is ridiculous, and you should ignore their advice.

The idea that black shoes are too formal to be worn with, say, grey pants, is absurd. True, black is no longer the only sensible choice for dress shoes, and that's all to the good. But it remains a perfectly sound choice in many instances.

In this, it's rather like the white dress shirt. No longer the only "right" choice for a dress shirt, but that doesn't mean it's only suitable for weddings, funerals, job interviews, and court appearances.

J P D

Reaction score
Ok, just ordered a pair of 5th Ave in Merlot. What belt would I get to match these?

I'm still thinking about a second pair. Either black PA or a brown Strand to be worn casually with slacks.

Benjaminslost

Reaction score
I'd wait for the next sale; the selection here is pretty thin. I don't know when the next seconds sale will be but the one they had recently was a bounty. I bought two pair in shell and can't find any flaw. But keep an eye out they have several sales through the year. IMO given your requirements I'd go with a darker color, maybe dark brown, chile or black?

eagleman

Reaction score
Chilli Strand would be a great versatile shoe.

Astaroth

Reaction score
I am in the US, if that makes a difference. I currently wear a black pair of $50 oxfords and have received many comments from people that I should not be wearing black outside of very formal situations (weddings, funerals, interviews, court), which I hardly ever find myself in, so if black is to be reserved for those situations, getting a pair of black PA right now would not help with my day to day rotation, which is why I was planning on purchasing formal shoes third.

I was under the impression that the dark Merlot color would pair with charcoal slacks/suit nicely similar to a black shoe but more appropriate for my level of formality.

Black shoes generally are more formal, though you can tone it down with broguing or by having suede etc. As such I would tend to keep them for officewear (in the UK 90% of guys are in black shoes when the dress code is "business casual" or above) or eveningwear but certainly less formal situations than court. Where they really stretch to look good is a pair of oxford toe caps with a pair of jeans etc.

I'd maintain that black is the only "colour" that really works with charcoal but if something else looks good to you then go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads