• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying 2 of These 3 Sports Jackets - Which Would You Suggest?

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd written a very long message, but I've deleted it and created a TL;DR. Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Young (early/mid 20s) white man with an olive complexion and (very) dark brown hair looking to buy 2 out of 3 sports jackets to go with navy wool trousers (could very, very occasionally pair with jeans) from around October-May'ish. Living in London. Choices are olive, gray herringbone and gray check. Would either wear them at fun (probably 75% of the time) or semi-formal (i.e. networking, meeting connections 1-on-1) events (probably 25%).

Grey herringbone: https://www.jcrew.com/uk/p/mens_cat...zer/J3455?color_name=classic-grey-herringbone

Grey check: https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jac....html?cgid=Jackets&prefn1=colorID&prefv1=grey

Olive: https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jac...html?cgid=Jackets&prefn1=colorID&prefv1=green

(a) 2 Greys.
Positives: Good mix of 'formal' & fun, can wear burgundy shoes + black turtleneck (these are other items of interest which I would appreciate being able to wear with these jackets) often.
Negatives: Monochromatic/A bit boring. Gray herringbone might also make gray check redundant, as it is also ok for more fun events, but not sure about this. Would like your opinion.

(b) Herringbone & Olive:
Not enough fun/'pop'. More importantly, I'm not sure what olive is really for in terms of formality/event types, but it looks good on me (+ would open up the possibility of wearing brown shoes), so I'd like to find out (this is probably the main sub-question I have).

(c) Olive & Check:
Nothing formal to go with navy woollen trousers. Could wear check, but very flashy & don't want to come off as a peacock at more serious events (feel free to disagree). And again, don't know when olive would be appropriate/desirable.

Any alternatives would obviously be appreciated.

papado

Reaction score
Green is fine--I would caution away from grey unless you already have a lot of other color sport coats. The grey will work with navy pants, but not much else. Normally I would suggest a blue jacket but as you plan on pairing with navy pants that throws those out of the question--perhaps try something in the brown spectrum? Else I would say you should get some mid gray trousers and get a navy sport coat. Else you could get some olive trousers and wear brown/camel/navy jackets.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Green is fine--I would caution away from grey unless you already have a lot of other color sport coats. The grey will work with navy pants, but not much else. Normally I would suggest a blue jacket but as you plan on pairing with navy pants that throws those out of the question--perhaps try something in the brown spectrum? Else I would say you should get some mid gray trousers and get a navy sport coat. Else you could get some olive trousers and wear brown/camel/navy jackets.

Hey papado, thanks for the reply! I'm thinking that I need at least 1 gray sports coat to go with navy slacks, and I think the herringbone is more versatile than the check for all kinds of occasions. The question now is: what should my second choice be? I think brown would be an ok choice, but I think that with my complexion it kind of washes me out. I also don't really like the look of it with more formal trousers. I think olive would be a better 'earth-tone' alternative. I've written a separate comment about my thoughts on which jacket should/could come next.It looks like you're really averse to gray sports coats, so I know what your answer is going to be!

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After thinking about it a little longer, I think a gray herringbone is definitely in the top 2. The question is: what should come next?

The grey check would definitely work better with navy slacks, look good/make a statement on a night out etc, and would generally just pop out in a way that would look pretty cool. The negative is that by the time I get to this, I'll have already purchased a double-breasted navy blazer to go with my mid-gray and charcoal slacks, which would already be a very daring statement. I like the symmetry of having 1 serious & 1 formal blazer for each trouser 'family' (grey & blue), but I'm just concerned that I won't want to be making that many statements that often, and that ultimately I would just look really monochromatic and predictable for the majority of the year whenever I want to dress up.

The olive would definitely add a new dimension to my wardrobe, but I'm not really sure what that dimension would be. I have this pair of navy chinos that I usually only wear in the spring/early fall, but I could wear it with them + brown shoes for a more relaxed look. I guess I could also wear it with jeans, though I don't know how sold I am on that look. I just don't know what I would wear it to .... a lunch date? going to the movies? A walk in the park?! On the other hand, it would definitely break up the grey/navy/burgundy/black monotony that I've got going on right now. It's kinda feeling like a (fun) prison, and this would definitely add a splash of colour to it.

My head says check, but my heart says olive. What do you guys think?

papado

Reaction score
Hey papado, thanks for the reply! I'm thinking that I need at least 1 gray sports coat to go with navy slacks, and I think the herringbone is more versatile than the check for all kinds of occasions. The question now is: what should my second choice be? I think brown would be an ok choice, but I think that with my complexion it kind of washes me out. I also don't really like the look of it with more formal trousers. I think olive would be a better 'earth-tone' alternative. I've written a separate comment about my thoughts on which jacket should/could come next.It looks like you're really averse to gray sports coats, so I know what your answer is going to be!

I own a grey check sport coat (more of a grey/blue/taupe combination check) so I have nothing against them per se but if you're asking generally I wouldn't say it's the most versatile color for dressier situations. My current collection is: grey check, brown and pink check, camel with navy windowpane, navy with shadow check, rose with blue overcheck (unlined for spring/summer only!).

As you can tell by my listed coats i have a thing for check/windowpane patterns :) so if I were you I would actually opt for the grey check and the olive so you have some choices; You don't need 2 gray jackets. Personally I like jackets with a pattern and keeping pants/shirt more basic and solid. If you prefer the solid jackets (which you're saying you do like the herringbone) then get the olive one next.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
I own a grey check sport coat (more of a grey/blue/taupe combination check) so I have nothing against them per se but if you're asking generally I wouldn't say it's the most versatile color for dressier situations. My current collection is: grey check, brown and pink check, camel with navy windowpane, navy with shadow check, rose with blue overcheck (unlined for spring/summer only!).

As you can tell by my listed coats i have a thing for check/windowpane patterns :) so if I were you I would actually opt for the grey check and the olive so you have some choices; You don't need 2 gray jackets. Personally I like jackets with a pattern and keeping pants/shirt more basic and solid. If you prefer the solid jackets (which you're saying you do like the herringbone) then get the olive one next.

Thanks for the detailed response! I think you're right - what's the point of having two grey jackets? I likes the Herringbone, but when I tried it on I still got the sensation that I was wearing some kind of uniform. I think the grey check will definitely assuage those concerns.

I think I'll get the check now and the olive in late 2019. My 3 cold-weather SJs would then be:
(1) Navy - to wear to any kind of event at all, but especially to more formal ones
(2) Gray Check - Fun nighttime blazer with navy trousers/chinos AND fun daytime blazer with jeans
(3) Olive SJ - Strictly with jeans during more casual (esp daytime) events (movies, lunch date, going to a musical here in London).

As my fourth and final one (I don't know when this would be) I'm thinking of getting a DB navy blazer when I really want to make a statement. I'd probably be choosing between this and the Gray check on a night out. While the Gray check is more fun, i think that if you really have the cojones , you could wear this to slightly more formal events than you would the check.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response! I think you're right - what's the point of having two grey jackets? I like the Herringbone, but when I tried it on I still got the sensation that I was wearing some kind of uniform. I think the grey check will definitely assuage those concerns.

I think I'll get the check now and the olive in late 2019. My 3 cold-weather SJs would then be:
(1) Navy - to wear to any kind of event at all, but especially to more formal ones
(2) Gray Check - Fun nighttime blazer with navy trousers/chinos AND fun daytime blazer with jeans
(3) Olive SJ - Strictly with jeans during more casual (esp daytime) events (movies, lunch date, going to a musical here in London).

As my fourth and final one (I don't know when this would be) I'm thinking of getting a DB navy blazer when I really want to make a statement. I'd probably be choosing between this and the Gray check on a night out. While the Gray check is more fun, i think that if you really have the cojones , you could wear this to slightly more formal events than you would the check.

Chowkin

Reaction score
I don’t like grey jackets cause they don’t pair with grey pants easily, but if you are really keen on getting one, this looks better:

F3006D86-522D-4438-BE15-B2FD26A49388.png

https://apac.suitsupply.com/en/jackets/havana-grey-check-jacket/C1261I.html?cgid=Jackets

Al Shosty

Reaction score
I don’t like grey jackets cause they don’t pair with grey pants easily, but if you are really keen on getting one, this looks better:

View attachment 1091588

https://apac.suitsupply.com/en/jackets/havana-grey-check-jacket/C1261I.html?cgid=Jackets

Thank you for this alternative, I agree that it's probably a bit better. What would you say about this one though? I think this is the best of them all:

https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/jac....html?cgid=Jackets&prefn1=colorID&prefv1=grey

I think it could also work nicely with a black turtleneck underneath it too (with navy trousers or chinos and black chelsea boots), potentially giving me 2 different looks depending on the occasion (maybe /w a turtleneck for dinner vs without one for bars etc).

It's distinctive whilst retaining an almost menacing quality which I really like.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Honestly, I think these two jackets just represent different types of events - the gray check would be a statement on a night out/informal dinner/evening date, whereas the olive would mostly be worn during the day and/or in casual-yet-not-too-casual settings (lunch/movies/etc). I just have to decide which of those 2 types of events are going to be more common during the next year of my life, and decide accordingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics