• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buyer Beware: Gilt damaged, overpriced, and incorrect desc on Thomas Pink cufflinks

SoHoJoejoe

Reaction score
I recently accidentally packed up all my cufflinks into storage while I'm moving so I jumped at what I thought was a good price on some Sterling Silver cufflinks during 'After Hours: Thomas Pink" a week ago on Gilt. This small transaction has revealed to me that Gilt isn't the great establishment it once was a couple years ago. First, the cufflinks came from some source in MA other than the usual BK, NY warehouse I see as the return label nor was it a typical black interior Gilt box, which leads me to believe they're outsourcing some of their items now. Well poor move on their part, because these links couldn't have been more poorly packaged. They came in a box large enough to hold a couple of paperback books but only had one little plastic balloon of cushioning. This was futile any way because the links themselves where in another tiny plastic bag TOGETHER which means they completely dented each other up as they were flung around in this mostly vapid box. They showed up looking like links someone had owned for a while and were put away in a pile of spare change like my old roommate used to. Absolutely none of the luster from the product page picture was left. These links were final sale so I decided to write up a little email to their customer support about my disappointment. In the process of doing so I managed to find the links on Thomas Pink's own website through google, as they're not in the current product page. I discovered that Gilt was both over charging and also incorrectly marking the links as Sterling Silver. They labeled the original price as $130 with their sale price being $68. As you can see from Pink's product page the links were originally $105 and only $39 on sale directly from Pink! And I bet they package them in an actual case. The links also don't have the ".925" stamp on them that all the other Pink silver links and honestly even to my untrained eye they don't look like sterling at all which means they just weren't paying attention or possibly never even inspected the items themselves before creating the listings. I took a snap of the product listing since the sale is expired now. So I ended up paying 70% over the manufactures price for a damaged set of links without a box that were misrepresented. I hope they do the right thing and fully reimburse me plus shipping seeing as that was 15% of the cost alone. But I also hope if anyone else bought any of the other links they take notice.

kohelet

Reaction score
Hopefully you get your money back. However on gilt, when you buy things you should be googling the actual item you want, that way you can see original prices and reviews!

Secondly, the cufflinks are hideous.... so you deserve your money back based on the hideousness of those cufflinks.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Sort of ironic that Gilt is offering supposedly high-quality ware like sterling silver cufflinks when their name means gold-plated.
eh.gif

But I don't find the cufflinks hideous.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think style forum should be a sort of Federal Reserve of the apparel industry. Setting floors and ceilings to all prices of everything. Being market makers of sort. Also before anybody anywhere purchases any sort of accessory, or garment we should be required by law to provide a fair appraisal of the item.

Basically, all company's would go out of business because people on this forum would price things lower than the cost of the goods.

gregor

Reaction score
i was looking at those links, I liked them. Good thing I didn't buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads