Buy quality hangers in Australia like Hanger Project or Butler Luxury

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoerejuvenator, Feb 15, 2016.

1. shoerejuvenator

shoerejuvenator Member

Hey guys/gals, I am wondering which online Australian site sells quality hangers like the two mentioned online retailers? I am conscious about mailing costs, and thus would prefer to buy locally.

I note the sites hangersale.com.au and mycoathangers.com.au, but in glancing through these sites, they seem to want to cater to a wide demographic and I am unsure about their quality, i.e. cheap Chinese product.

If anyone could offer any advice or opinion on the topic of hangers, I would be very interested to read them. Finally, is there even a market for this in Australia?

Cheers,
    James.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. Highlands

Highlands Member

Howard's Storage World does sell some cedar hangers, albeit not cheap. Some large sturdy ones that are suitable for suits, around $12 from what I recall.

Would also be keen to know if there are other alternatives as well.

3. shoerejuvenator

shoerejuvenator Member

Thanks for the lead. I see their hangers are made of 'lotus wood'? I am not a wood expert but I do recall reading on the Hanger Project that this is cheap wood option from China.

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I missed the 'quality' bit in the title.

But mei and picchi do solid, value for money cheap hangers.

5. shoerejuvenator

shoerejuvenator Member

Here we go. Trimly.com.au is venturing to introduce luxury wooden hangers into the Australian market. It's a coming soon page right now. Excellent.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I went to my local Mei + Picchi store a few years back and bought up a lot of hangers.

I'm very happy with them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They had quite a wide range - thick, contoured hangers with a trouser bar with integrated clip; thinner, curved hangers with the same sort of trouser bar and clip; thick, contoured hangers without trouser bar; thinner wooden hangers suitable for shirts; dedicated trouser hangers and more. Prices were very good, too.

Frankly, perhaps I'm not just enough of an iGent, but I really can't see the purpose in spending US$30 (AUS$40 at today's exchange rate) on a hanger. The Hanger Project and Butler hangers are finished in a high gloss varnish, whereas the Mei + Picchi ones aren't, but at a saving of $25 or more, I'm happy to go with the unvarnished option!

Edited to add: Just had a look at the Mei + Picchi website - they're selling their thick, contoured wooden hangers with trouser bar for $8 each.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  7. shoerejuvenator

shoerejuvenator Member

I was given a couple of Butler Luxury suit hangers from my bro who is working out in San Fran. I know hangers are just hangers but this is actually one of my favourite bits of kit. Not wanting to sound like I'm spruiking, I just appreciate the craftmenship and quality of material. It's handmade, the wood grain looks amazing, and I am hooked, pardon the pun. End of the day it is a luxury item so yeah, it does cost more than ones you can find in homewear stores; but I think it's a negligible investment if I'm paying upwards of $1,500 for a suit. You do get what you pay for. Hence why I am keen to see them in Oz! :slayer::slayer: