• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buy or not? Used Allen Edmond Wingtips: Sole Evaluation Please

3dials

Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first major "upper echelon" shoe purchase and I thought I'd start with a used shoe before dropping a lot of money on brand new ones.

Here are some pictures. Should I go for this pair of Allen Edmond wingtips for around $70?
Are they worth reconditioning? Can I do it myself with some elbow grease?

Oh yeah, there are metal taps on the toes as well.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
waiting for our in-house resurrection commissioner, Man of Lint to chime in...or better yet, post here

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sole is ok.

3dials

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I re-posted as per your suggestion. :)

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all. This is my first major "upper echelon" shoe purchase and I thought I'd start with a used shoe before dropping a lot of money on brand new ones.
Here are some pictures. Should I go for this pair of Allen Edmond wingtips for around $70?
Are they worth reconditioning? Can I do it myself with some elbow grease?
Oh yeah, there are metal taps on the toes as well.
Thanks in advance!

Sole is serviceable but not in great condition. Uppers look okay, at least from the available pictures and look like they will look fine with just some polishing. Heels might need to be replaced.

Last edited:

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E is having a sale right now, and on july 20th they will be 199 pair at nordstroms, so get new. Check in AE appreciation thread.

Regards.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[/SPOILER]
Sole is serviceable but not in great condition.
Uppers look okay, at least from the available pictures and look like they will look fine with just some polishing. Heels might need to be replaced.

unfortunately, this is total bs..., sorry

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AE is having a sale right now, and on july 20th they will be 199 pair at nordstroms, so get new. Check in AE appreciation thread.
Regards.
This. Get a new pair, the price is to high on the used ones.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a new pair. This new pair came for DSW for $67

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3dials, do not engage on these. They are very old and not well maintained and will probably have issues (mold, etc)
Best to follow Shikar's suggestion.

Last edited:

3dials

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help! Appreciate you coming by, Man of Lint! I actually found a few pairs in the Buying/Selling forum that are much better. Love SF!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for everyone's help! Appreciate you coming by, Man of Lint! I actually found a few pairs in the Buying/Selling forum that are much better. Love SF!

i highly doubt this. this quality isn't produced anymore. sorry noob.

3dials

Reaction score
By "better" I meant in better condition than the original shoes I was looking at. Try to read in context next time.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

By "better" I meant in better condition than the original shoes I was looking at. Try to read in context next time.

it's your loss not mine. bummer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads