• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buy and sell forum photos

oneade

Reaction score
Why do sellers remove pictures from the B&S forum after they're sold? or the price?

Even though it's been sold I'd like to see what I missed...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be they use a host that limits how many pics/file-size/bandwidth. Also- in terms of keeping it all straight, if i sold a lot I'd porbably clean out the old pics too.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ease of use for the buyer.

This actually should be standard practice. It limits all the useless scrolling through stuff that's been sold and just concentrate on what has not sold.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
This actually should be standard practice. It limits all the useless scrolling through stuff that's been sold and just concentrate on what has not sold.

A valid point, but it also eliminates useful price points for comparison purposes.

Mike89LX

Reaction score
Cary Grant makes the best point, it's not fair to the seller to keep hosting a picture that he doesn't need anymore (unless he wants to). I agree it would be nice to keep a compilation of stuff, but unfortunately it's not very realistic, so I'd prefer to see the threads where all items have been sold to just disappear. Maybe put them in another forum as opposed to deleting them so it won't alter traffic and posts count readings

oneade

Reaction score
Not being an expert in the subject, but aren't there sites which host for free?

If the seller is listing 50 ties, I could see it getting messy. But if the thread only contains a few items. why not just leave it, if the hosting is free.

I know there's a gallery of shoes up above, but it's a sin to delete some of the shoe Appreciation that go through buy and sell.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I do it for the convenience of those browsing my listing.

bobbers

Reaction score
When an item gets sold, I remove the tags so that picture is still available. If someone still wants to see it after the fact, there's an extra step to click on the link to get to it.

Otherwise, it takes up bandwidth (even if the hosting is free) and gets in the way for buyers to see what else is still available.

Mike89LX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneade
Not being an expert in the subject, but aren't there sites which host for free?

If the seller is listing 50 ties, I could see it getting messy. But if the thread only contains a few items. why not just leave it, if the hosting is free.

I know there's a gallery of shoes up above, but it's a sin to delete some of the shoe Appreciation that go through buy and sell.

Free sites (and pay) have a limit on bandwidth usage, so posting something for sale on several high traffic forums could potentially use that up then you have to wait til next month to be able to post pictures. I'm no expert so I'm not saying that's the reason, just throwing that out there as a counterpoint

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its easier to browse and more importantly reduces the pm's a seller gets after an item has been alreadysold. Many buyers seem to overlook "SOLD" and out of excitement will contact the seller without reading in detail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads