ButtonSwap™ Poast! Need SF Groupthink Advice.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by elgreco, Feb 5, 2010.

1. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

3C

haha, okay, duly noted.

2. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

I'm resurrecting this thread a) because I can and b) because I bought a d/b blazer with gold buttons, but want to swap them. I do not want a blazer. I do not like gold buttons. If you're going to tell me to keep the gold buttons, then you should look elsewhere. Here is the jacket in question, plus a close-up to get a good idea of the fabric texture. [​IMG] [​IMG] I was originally leaning towards horn buttons, until being informed that the risk of the orphan look increases upon button swap. However, I have seen enough examples of sportcoats with horn buttons that I am unpersuaded by that argument. Nevertheless, in fairness to SF groupthink, I'm opening the discussion up to the forum population at-large. I'm debating between some manner of horn or MOP, except white MOP. That's too rakish for my work environment, and I'm already pushing it with a double-breasted sportcoat.

3. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I'm resurrecting this thread a) because I can and b) because I bought a d/b blazer with gold buttons, but want to swap them. I do not want a blazer. I do not like gold buttons. If you're going to tell me to keep the gold buttons, then you should look elsewhere.

Here is the jacket in question, plus a close-up to get a good idea of the fabric texture.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I was originally leaning towards horn buttons, until being informed that the risk of the orphan look increases upon button swap. However, I have seen enough examples of sportcoats with horn buttons that I am unpersuaded by that argument. Nevertheless, in fairness to SF groupthink, I'm opening the discussion up to the forum population at-large. I'm debating between some manner of horn or MOP, except white MOP. That's too rakish for my work environment, and I'm already pushing it with a double-breasted sportcoat.

That's a tricky color blue, I would honestly put either dark brown or dark grey buttons on it. Also I've never understood the problem with the "orphan look".

4. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

Also I've never understood the problem with the "orphan look".

It makes sense with a worsted wool, but the texture on this jacket is a bit more casual to really convey that "orphaned" look.

I'll research some button options tomorrow and poast them up here for everyone's perusal/amusement.

5. binge

binge Senior member

6. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Maybe a blond/light brown horn.

7. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Smoked MOP.

This.

I also think a d/b SC looks odd, but to each their own.

8. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

9. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Smoked mother of pearl would go great with that, but it looks almost like a silver button. It has the shine of metal whilst not being metal, which makes them the perfect alternative for a blazer. If you really don't something shiny go for a light brown horn. Light brown will help make it feel more casual, and the lighter colour goes with what appears to be a tropical wool. Dark horn buttons will make it look like a suit coat, something that should be avoided.

10. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Maybe a blond/light brown horn.

Smoked MOP.

Either of the above. I realize you're not a fan of metal, but have you looked at brushed metal buttons? Ben Silver has some, and they look rather nice and very subtle.

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

12. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

Dark horn buttons will make it look like a suit coat, something that should be avoided.
    HEAVEN FORFEND.
    Either of the above. I realize you're not a fan of metal, but have you looked at brushed metal buttons? Ben Silver has some, and they look rather nice and very subtle.
    Funny you should mention that; I ended up putting "brushed gunmetal" buttons on another blazer I purchased last year (the blazer that originally inspired this thread). Still, in an effort to keep things varied, I am not going to put brushed metal buttons on this jacket. NOBD, I quite like those, but I'm looking for a darker shade. Also, here are some other options I'm looking at: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3B this time

14. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

[​IMG]

I really like those. They are quite neat.

Also, have you considered options that are a little uncommon? Two come to mind --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

Don't like leather-wrapped buttons at all. The wood ones are neat. Either way, per Binge and others' suggestion, I decided the smoked MOP was actually a really neat idea. I'm trying to order these from mat135ta's threat in B&S: [​IMG]