• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttoning Cardigan

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there one of those "unofficial rules" stating a guy should keep the bottom button of a cardigan open, as I know there is for a vest (waistcoat)? I don't particularly find the look flattering of a cardigan with only a few buttons and the bottom one left open, but this sweater, as seems to be currently in vogue, has as many as five buttons.
Does it make a difference if the sweater is worn in a more dressy outfit, as with a sportscoat and tie, vs. more casual with no coat?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like leaving the bottom button undone is popular, but I don't think it's really a set "rule." I have seen quite a few photos recently (on Gilt sales, for instance) where every button is fastened, and I think it looks fine.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally leave the button bottom open - not because of any rules per se but more so that it doesn't cause any bunching up of the hem.

nakedundermyclothes

Reaction score
Agreed, I don't button the last button because it usually causes awkward bunching.

bluemax

Reaction score
I leave the bottom button (or two) open to show my belt. It adds a nice touch.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Would you say that this has become an "unofficial" rule?

I don't think it has reached SB bottom button suit level, but I would officially mark it in the same range as buttoning the bottom button of a peacoat...

My point being dressing rules don't apply until you choose to follow them.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of "bunching," I've noticed cardigans tend to run smaller than other sweaters. Generally any "M" sweater fits me fine, but "M" cardigans often look tight and are thus unflattering. My new one is a "Large" and fits fine.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a little something:
Not that I consider the marvelous "Chic Simple" series the be-all, end-all, but in their Men's Wardrobe book, on page 89, the authors mention about Edward VII's instigating the practice of leaving the bottom button unbottoned (book doesn't specifically say "wainscot") and then shows three vests with the button unbottoned but also one sleeveless cardigan with the bottom button buttoned. Actually all buttons buttoned. These pages refer to clothes of a dressier nature, but I suppose the principle could stand for any time a cardigan is worn. A cardigan really doesn't look that great unbottoned, anyway - IMHO.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Edward VII thing refers to waistcoats, or at least that was how I was told it, I tend to leave the bottom button undone, it just somehow looks better I think.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clarify, please: Bottom button of which - vest or cardigan?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on your build. If you're slightly overweight, wouldn't leaving the bottom button undone look very unflattering?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am getting confused again. I know that the "rule" on waistcoats is "unofficial" but so prevalent as to be nearly "official". But what, exactly, is the case with cardigans? Is the "unofficial" rule to leave the bottom button unbuttoned? That's what I would think, but I see that Lafont thinks they look better buttoned up all the way and he has photographic and written evidence from chic simple to back up his claim. I think if one is going to leave the bottom button unbuttoned, then it makes sens to unbutton one of the top buttons as well, referring to a cardigan, of course, not a waistcoat. That creates a sense of harmony and also a degage look, which is always nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads