Buttonholes on my zegna jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BjornH, Mar 19, 2003.

1. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Part of the loot from my recent trip to Orlando was a beautiful Zegna jacket which I've been getting a lot of use from. It is from their regular line and has a floating canvas that makes it feel as comfortable as a good sweater. At 25% of retail price - a rather good deal all in all.

I've been thinking about having the sleeves shortened as they are a bit too long, something like a 1/2 inch (1 cm) would do the trick. As I was looking at the sleeves the other day I noticed that I seem to have the option of having the buttonholes cut open. The lining has a seam at just the right place and the buttons really seem to be sewn all the way through.

Do any of you know if this is by design from Zegna - are the buttonholes made to be cut open or am I conspiring to mutilate an otherwise great jacket ?

Maybe I'll just wear it as it is - this centimeter is not really going to make a difference but if I can make the sleeves match it's pedigree at the same time then I suppose I'll go for it.

Any thoughts - comments - flames ?

B

2. davei

davei Senior member

I don't think there's anything wrong with your idea, as long as you can find a good tailor to do the job properly. Handworked buttonholes with gimp look great, machine made buttonholes are hardly any better than false buttonhole stitching (IMHO).

3. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

yes i have had this done with great succsess