• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttondown Shirt Appreciation: Joe's Tailor (Singapore) Thomas Mason Silverline

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look what I got in the mail! Relatively fast and great service. Perhaps my only complaint is that Joe's isn't all that large an operation and only carries about 20 Goldine and 40 Silverline swatches. I turned the Silverlines into buttondowns and am ordering some Goldline dress shirts.

Basic patterns, but love that houndstooth.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
seems like collars have no tie space. is that a choice on your part or shirtmakers choice.
Are the buttons shell? if yes, seems like the buttons are inexpensive off shade buttons. of course it could be the lighting.

how long are the point? they seem long to me.
of course seeing the shirts on you would be a better way to evaluate.

make sure the shirts are washed and pressed.

Carl

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carl, thanks for the comments. The points are intentionally long and it's due to my face shape and broad chest. They will be washed soon. Here's another photo of the buttons:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know you were looking for something a bit out of the ordinary.

but there are so many details that do not go with the button down collar.
from cuff style, split yoke, front style, linings used in the collar.
even the choice of TM goldline, which is very soft.

Just not my style.
let's see it on you.
Carl

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Carl. First of all, I intentionally used Silverline for all the shirts and I don't think any of the shirts' fabric looks too smooth or too finely woven for this kind of shirt. I understand what you mean and avoided that (or tried to).

Second, I'm not sure how to check but I specifically requested no fusing or lining in the collar. I'm not sure if I know how to check but this seems to be the case. I'll see how it looks after the washer.

Third, by cuff style you mean the triple barrel cuff idea? I'll see how it looks, but so far, I think it works with the dressier BD shirt I wanted. Again, I think I have a personality that cannot help but lend a bit of reserve or formality to the clothes I wear. Maybe it depends on the buttons, but I thought the ones they used were okay (but you would know better). They used 16 ligne 2.5 mm thick trocas instead of anything wider or thicker as I am a shorter fellow. (Maybe all I subconsciously wanted from a BD was to have MOP buttons on the collar, for all I know.)

Finally, why does a split yoke not go with a BD collar? I didn't know this and just wanted the detail for the houndstooth and stripe shirts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm with Carl. I like my BDs paleo.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like the cuffs, but I hate the collars.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I don't like the cuffs, but I hate the collars.

Agreed. Those shirts look awful, too much stuff going on.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice fabric patterns. I can see the scale of the collars working for a large guy with a large oval or round face. It is all about proportions. It is hard to say without seeing them on you.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mockingboy
Agreed. Those shirts look awful, too much stuff going on.

Oh please... "too much stuff"? They can't get much more conservative than most of those with the very slight exception of the cuffs. Is this becoming AAAC Trad now?

I do like the material.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Look what I got in the mail! Relatively fast and great service. Perhaps my only complaint is that Joe's isn't all that large an operation and only carries about 20 Goldine and 40 Silverline swatches. I turned the Silverlines into buttondowns and am ordering some Goldline dress shirts.

Basic patterns, but love that houndstooth.

Nice. Very nice, don't let the straights here get you down.
thumbs-up.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Oh please... "too much stuff"? They can't get much more conservative than most of those with the very slight exception of the cuffs. Is this becoming AAAC Trad now?

I do like the material.

Well, the biggest problem is the atrocious collars. The cuffs can always be hidden under a sweater or jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics