• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button stance, gorge height, lapel width

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I consider myself pretty knowledgable about suits but I'm getting a bit confused with these terms. I've seen button stance and gorge height used almost interchangably, when I thought gorge height referred to how high the notches (or peaks) sit. And how are they measured, anywho? Lapel width... I have no idea where to measure. Or what the term is for the amount of space in the notches. Or for how long the peaks are if that's the case.

"Sharon! I'm so confused!"

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
youre right about gorge height - it is where the notch sits on your shoulder/chest.

Button height pretty obvious. Buttoning point refers to the mid button on a 3b or top button on a 2b.

measuring lapel width im not sure....

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. I just want to know all this for when I talk to Raj Bista at Baron Boutique again. I'm thinking of putting away some money to get a summer suit in linen or cotton.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measure the lapel width at the widest point.

As for the shape of the peaks/notches, I've never heard of them being quantified in measurements. Certain Neapolitan suits have what is termed fish mouth notches. Some suits have a noticeably wider lapel than collar, others less so. Peak lapels, depending on house styles, are also shaped differently. At that point, it is usually up to the tailor's proclivities, but if you were to specify how you like it, use photographic examples. You could also note how upturned, sharp/rounded, etc. you would like them.

Stone

Reaction score
photo45l.jpg
Slightly short, high gorge, very low button stance jacket. I need to get the sleeves shortened. What do you think of the fit? I like it - seems narrow without being tight or overly shaped - but I need a second opinion.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lapels are maybe too wide, the skirt is surely too wide and the waist is too. You can fix the waist.

The stance is a deal-breaker. Is the armhole big? Perhaps you can take up the whole thing from the shoulder seam.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads