Button fly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Kent Wang, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Does anyone actually prefer button fly over zip? Why? Other than because APC does button fly.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm of two minds about it. I like button flies because buttons don't break, unlike zippers (yes, my mojo is that strong, ha ha ha, just to ruin anyone's chances of getting to that joke first,) and the last place you want interlocking teeth is at your crotch (see "There's Something About Mary"). Also, you are less likely to get the dreaded "zipper bulge" when you are sitting down.

On the other hand, the buttons are a pain to do up.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Also, buttons are easier to rip open... could come in handy.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Or seinfeld where I assume you got that specific verbage from [​IMG] I prefer the buttonfly, because I like the fades that it creates, and the fact that .. well there are no interlocking teeth at my crotch. Also, as J pointed out, you can open it very quickly without ripping anything.

5. stache

stache Senior member

And here I thought that catching a zipper in your frenulum was a rite of passage...

6. hermes

hermes Senior member

i too like buttonfly, on everything from my jeans to my dress pants and suit pants

and i agree with LA guy, a button fly sort of rests more naturally on your crotch unlike the zipper bulge

worst pain is trying to do up a button fly at a urinal ......

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

and the last place you want interlocking teeth is at your crotch
    Or seinfeld where I assume you got that specific verbage from [​IMG] I prefer the buttonfly, because I like the fades that it creates, and the fact that .. well there are no interlocking teeth at my crotch. Also, as J pointed out, you can open it very quickly without ripping anything.
    Yeah, but if your partner is down there they can grab on to the zipper and use their teeth to open it... Jon.

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i've had some tense moments swearing at my button fly in restrooms. (i have chinos with thread-shanked button flies, so they don't 'rip open' like you can do with levi's metal-shank buttons.)

9. Geowu

Geowu Senior member

I don't like zippers on anything. Bad invention.

10. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I'm a Velcro man myself.

11. ken

ken Banned by Request

You know what would rock? Jeans with one of those slider things they have on the more expensive zip-lock bags. You can slide it if you want, or you can just rip it open. Covers all the bases.

Anyways, I've never had a problem re-buttoning my jeans. Ya'll are starting from the bottom, right?

12. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

It depends on the buttons too, I think. Most jeans aren't too bad, because their "buttons" are thick, raised pieces of metal that are pretty easy to grab and thread through the holes. When you talk about normal pants, the result is a lot different. I have a pair of velvet Costume National pants whose fly is made up of normal buttons positioned almost flat against the fabric. To close the fly, I would spend several minutes grasping for the button, holding it in place, and trying to put it through the buttonhole. It got tedious real fast, and needless to say I don't wear that pair anymore.

13. MatthewG

MatthewG Member

10 or 15 years ago, wasn't there a massive "Button Your Fly" advertising campaign, run by Levi's or someone? As I recall, the line that year garishly ugly rivets running up. I wasn't particularly socially aware at the time, but it left a bad impression on me. Only recently have I (quite pleasantly) bought more reasonable button-up jeans.

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Man, you should shank those buttons. Do it in the courtyard, so everyone will know you don't mess around when a pair of pants steals your fruit cocktail.

15. Sway23

Sway23 Active Member

I've started to prefer the button-fly over zippers of late... the only thing I don't like about it is when you get to a particularly stubborn button while trying to button-up at a public urinal and you have to contort your hands in all sorts of weird ways to get it buttoned up. I can only imagine what the guy next to me is thinking while I'm doing this.